Start by marking “Human Condition” as Want to Read:
Human Condition

Human Condition

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It's 1985. Reagan is president, The Cosby Show is the most popular show on television and the radio blares Shout incessantly. At the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mike Ross spills some acid on himself in a lab and is rescued by football star Joe Lassiter. What ensues is funny, touching, realistic and riveting reading.

Warning: there is a violent rape scene in this bo
online fiction, 245 pages
Published 2002

Taylor
Dec 13, 2012 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, gfy, its-freeeeeee
The Good:

Beautiful love story. I'm a complete sucker for romances that take place over a long span of time. I always finish feeling like I've actually spent years with the characters, and it seems to leave a more profound impression on me than the instalove I see so often.

This may be the most realistic portrayal of a 'gay for you' themed story that I’ve come across. There weren’t buckets of angst or pages and pages of whining. Just two characters trying to figure out themselves, and each other.
Major English (Laura)
4 - 4.5 Stars

Story Content Warning : Some Torture, Rape

This free online story was a great read and a long one at that too. Sometimes this piece felt overly long, and I was hoping for more dialogue a lot of the time in order to show more interactions between the characters, (my eyes kept scanning down the screen looking for dialogue, as so much of this is just narration) but it was well written and well done overall. I think many of the reviews of this story, here on goodreads, are well done too
Camille
Apr 01, 2013 Camille rated it really liked it
3.65

The first 70% of this was great. The establishment of the friendship is well done, the host of characters are interesting, and the tension between Mike and Joe and that which infuses the story, will they or won't they figure it out, is strong and compelling. I also liked the structure a lot. It's wonderful that even with a flash back narrative structure there remains a palpable sense of tension. So this lot was a pleasure to read, albeit with a couple huh? moments, but generally really good.
Cliffgirl
May 16, 2012 Cliffgirl rated it it was amazing
Human Condition is one of my all-time favorite books. It reads like a diary into four years of the lives of two college students: Mike Ross, who is a freshman at the University of Michigan studying pre-law and star football quarterback, Joe Lassiter, also a freshman in pre-med. They meet due to an unfortunate chemistry lab accident and become best friends and maybe more... Mike, who is gay, falls in love with Joe, who isn't, and the story catalogues their struggles through college, boyfriends, g ...more
SueM
Better than average free online story of a man's recounting of how he and his partner finally got together. Each chapter starts with a moment in current time before going back to the past - between five and eight years earlier. Definitely worth a look, but be warned, it does contain a rape scene (by a relative stranger).
MLJ Clarke
Oct 17, 2012 MLJ Clarke rated it it was amazing
I found this book at least 5 or 6 years ago before I found the online booksellers and publishers. I was stunned that this author was not publishing it! The story is realistic, well written with characters that you like to love. The character development is so strong that despite reading this story at least 10 times, I find more in the characters' personality than the time before. Human Condition deserves to be expanded upon and SOLD. Ms. Finn is one of the most impressive writers I have read. A ...more
karlakolumna
Jan 05, 2013 karlakolumna rated it really liked it
Bumpy start, but this little love story definitely grew on me. As an unedited free read it certainly has its faults - but the main characters really were quite endearing and despite the dramatic plot, a bit too much drama at times, one might add, Human Condition was definitely an engaging read that leaves you with a happy feeling in the end.
Alexis Woods
Nov 23, 2014 Alexis Woods rated it really liked it
Free from author's website. Extremely well written love story between Mike, a gay student, and Joe, the All-American jock. Joe saves Mike when he severely burns himself with acid and it's the start of a friendship filled with ups and downs and unrequited love.

Set over four years of college, but told as a memory from Mike's POV in the future. Each chapter starts in the present as they ready themselves for the day and then it segways into the past.
Charming
Jul 29, 2011 Charming rated it really liked it
I like this story a lot. It is a college coming-of-age story via flashbacks from an established relationship. The writing is good, and I liked the characters, including friends and family. The women characters were well done.

Warning - there is a nasty rape scene (not between the MC's). You'll see it coming and can just skip the chapter if needed.

I haven't found any trace of the author after about 2003, so I have created a file in case the rather obsolete website goes away. SInce it is free onlin
Angel Pedroza
Jun 13, 2014 Angel Pedroza rated it really liked it
I really liked this romance. It was a long, sweet love story.
Amanda
There were some really excellent scenes in this freebie that made it worth reading IMO. Sometimes the time changes and space between scenes was a bit long, enough that I wondered what happened in that time period. Some scenes were o.k and occasionally I wondered why they called each other best friends but kept so much distance, but I generally enjoyed this story.

*NOTE: there is a threesome scene in this book. (view spoiler)
Hk47enclave
Nov 02, 2012 Hk47enclave rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my all time favourite M/M romances.
It was one of my first reads when I started reading M/M romance.
I discovered it at Lit on the Hall of Fame.
The character development was very well done and I loved the fact that we saw glimpses of the future which showed us that everything works out despite the present being in shambles.
Mike and Joe are such a great couple, seeing them get to get point was very rewarding read.
Just love this story!
A
Sep 25, 2012 A rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was fantastic. I really enjoyed the way it was formatted, starting in the present and then flashing back 15 years to learn joe and Mike's story. I especially enjoyed it because it got me through done rough times, when I was tormented by the angst and tragedies in the book, to know that there us a blissfully happy ending. I think this author is immensely talented and I loved this book.
inume27
Aug 25, 2012 inume27 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
As I read the first chapter I remembered I read this story a long long time ago,when I devoured original fiction like air.I really liked it then and I still wanted to slap Joe...he was such a coward and I think Mike should have made him grovel more.I really liked how each chapter began with them in the future, it was nice to know there is a happy ending before you finish the story ^_^
Pierre
Jan 29, 2012 Pierre rated it it was amazing
This is just one the best stories I have read in the longest while. Jayne Finn gave us a wonderful story, great characters, a true romance. This just can't be the only story Jayne has written...no way.
Seregil
Sep 04, 2011 Seregil rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-fiction
3.75 (rounding to 4 stars). It's a sweet romantic story, with a bit of everything. You really get to know the characters and understand how they get to love each other.
Richard
Mar 27, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
An eminently likeable and rather charming read; it is a bit rough around the edges but it's so unashamedly romantic I'll happily forgive it that!
Michelle
Jan 18, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.

Angela
Jan 04, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m, free, own-ebook
Review to come.
qx
Dec 10, 2012 qx rated it really liked it
3.5
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Anne Elizabeth
Anne Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Tanner
Tanner marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
Apr 11, 2016
Hyd_f4
Hyd_f4 marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Raza
Raza marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
  • Art Criticism
  • Desert Dropping
  • Someone You Might Have Been
  • Just Because
  • But then, My Homework Was Never Quite Like This (Homework Verse, #1)
  • Underlying
  • Muffin (Muffin #1)
  • Undesirable
  • London Calling
  • Of sweaters and heartache
  • Second Wind
  • Iron Butterfly
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Just Hit Send