Human Condition

Human Condition

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  19 reviews
It's 1985. Reagan is president, The Cosby Show is the most popular show on television and the radio blares Shout incessantly. At the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mike Ross spills some acid on himself in a lab and is rescued by football star Joe Lassiter. What ensues is funny, touching, realistic and riveting reading.

Warning: there is a violent rape scene in this bo...more
online fiction, 245 pages
Published 2002

Taylor
The Good:

Beautiful love story. I'm a complete sucker for romances that take place over a long span of time. I always finish feeling like I've actually spent years with the characters, and it seems to leave a more profound impression on me than the instalove I see so often.

This may be the most realistic portrayal of a 'gay for you' themed story that I’ve come across. There weren’t buckets of angst or pages and pages of whining. Just two characters trying to figure out themselves, and each other....more
Major English (Laura)
4 - 4.5 Stars

Story Content Warning : Some Torture, Rape

This free online story was a great read and a long one at that too. Sometimes this piece felt overly long, and I was hoping for more dialogue a lot of the time in order to show more interactions between the characters, (my eyes kept scanning down the screen looking for dialogue, as so much of this is just narration) but it was well written and well done overall. I think many of the reviews of this story, here on goodreads, are well done too...more
Camille
3.65

The first 70% of this was great. The establishment of the friendship is well done, the host of characters are interesting, and the tension between Mike and Joe and that which infuses the story, will they or won't they figure it out, is strong and compelling. I also liked the structure a lot. It's wonderful that even with a flash back narrative structure there remains a palpable sense of tension. So this lot was a pleasure to read, albeit with a couple huh? moments, but generally really good....more
Cliffgirl
Human Condition is one of my all-time favorite books. It reads like a diary into four years of the lives of two college students: Mike Ross, who is a freshman at the University of Michigan studying pre-law and star football quarterback, Joe Lassiter, also a freshman in pre-med. They meet due to an unfortunate chemistry lab accident and become best friends and maybe more... Mike, who is gay, falls in love with Joe, who isn't, and the story catalogues their struggles through college, boyfriends, g...more
SueM
Better than average free online story of a man's recounting of how he and his partner finally got together. Each chapter starts with a moment in current time before going back to the past - between five and eight years earlier. Definitely worth a look, but be warned, it does contain a rape scene (by a relative stranger).
MLJ Clarke
I found this book at least 5 or 6 years ago before I found the online booksellers and publishers. I was stunned that this author was not publishing it! The story is realistic, well written with characters that you like to love. The character development is so strong that despite reading this story at least 10 times, I find more in the characters' personality than the time before. Human Condition deserves to be expanded upon and SOLD. Ms. Finn is one of the most impressive writers I have read. A...more
karlakolumna
Bumpy start, but this little love story definitely grew on me. As an unedited free read it certainly has its faults - but the main characters really were quite endearing and despite the dramatic plot, a bit too much drama at times, one might add, Human Condition was definitely an engaging read that leaves you with a happy feeling in the end.
Charming
I like this story a lot. It is a college coming-of-age story via flashbacks from an established relationship. The writing is good, and I liked the characters, including friends and family. The women characters were well done.

Warning - there is a nasty rape scene (not between the MC's). You'll see it coming and can just skip the chapter if needed.

I haven't found any trace of the author after about 2003, so I have created a file in case the rather obsolete website goes away. SInce it is free onlin...more
Angel Pedroza
I really liked this romance. It was a long, sweet love story.
Amanda
There were some really excellent scenes in this freebie that made it worth reading IMO. Sometimes the time changes and space between scenes was a bit long, enough that I wondered what happened in that time period. Some scenes were o.k and occasionally I wondered why they called each other best friends but kept so much distance, but I generally enjoyed this story.

*NOTE: there is a threesome scene in this book. (view spoiler)...more
Hk47enclave
This book is one of my all time favourite M/M romances.
It was one of my first reads when I started reading M/M romance.
I discovered it at Lit on the Hall of Fame.
The character development was very well done and I loved the fact that we saw glimpses of the future which showed us that everything works out despite the present being in shambles.
Mike and Joe are such a great couple, seeing them get to get point was very rewarding read.
Just love this story!
A
Wow. This book was fantastic. I really enjoyed the way it was formatted, starting in the present and then flashing back 15 years to learn joe and Mike's story. I especially enjoyed it because it got me through done rough times, when I was tormented by the angst and tragedies in the book, to know that there us a blissfully happy ending. I think this author is immensely talented and I loved this book.
inume27
Aug 25, 2012 inume27 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
As I read the first chapter I remembered I read this story a long long time ago,when I devoured original fiction like air.I really liked it then and I still wanted to slap Joe...he was such a coward and I think Mike should have made him grovel more.I really liked how each chapter began with them in the future, it was nice to know there is a happy ending before you finish the story ^_^
Pierre
This is just one the best stories I have read in the longest while. Jayne Finn gave us a wonderful story, great characters, a true romance. This just can't be the only story Jayne has written...no way.
Seregil
3.75 (rounding to 4 stars). It's a sweet romantic story, with a bit of everything. You really get to know the characters and understand how they get to love each other.
Richard
An eminently likeable and rather charming read; it is a bit rough around the edges but it's so unashamedly romantic I'll happily forgive it that!
Sarasaya
3.5 because some bits are very nice
Angela
Review to come.
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Blue
Blue added it
Jul 13, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Jul 13, 2014
Lee Jane
Lee Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Cocochanel
Cocochanel marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
MandyM
MandyM added it
Jul 06, 2014
Tsering
Tsering marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Arami
Arami marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014