Start by marking “Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps” as Want to Read:
Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps

Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A Must-Have Guide for the Smart Vegan

A vegan lifestyle is the newest hot health trend—thanks in no small part to the smart, fearless, and number one New York Times bestselling Skinny Bitch books. But with so much conflicting information out there, it's not always easy to make the best choices. Now Skinny Bitch coauthor Kim Barnouin is back with a book that makes making the
Published February 21st 2012 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
A long time Vegan myself,Im always looking for new idea's. This is more of a "what to look for" book, like what foods look healthy,but actually aren't. Also exlpains how to avoid the stuff you dont want & read those labels and "swap" for the other stuff without feeling cheated, and which she includes names of products and websites for more info.Also included is the best places for Vegans to shop,top 10 things to eat while on the go(yup that's me)The author also added a few easy and quick rec ...more
Deb
I would give this book a solid 3.5 stars--4 for new vegans or those not acquainted with vegan food and products and 3 for a more experienced vegan looking for different options and more knowledge. This is a compact yet comprehensive resource to vegan products with the best "swaps" for conventional products like meat, dairy, eggs, etc., done in the typical Skinny Bitch tone. Not every product is something that I can locate here, or something that I would buy to eat regularly, but it is a useful g ...more
Elle M.
Oct 19, 2015 Elle M. rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I feel like the authors were talking to me directly like they were my girlfriends and we were having cup of coffee... no, organic green tea. I like what I learned from this book... especially what coffee does to your body (as I am a coffee drinker). No, I will not drink coffee anymore. (well, okay maybe once in a while). I like what I've learned about pesticides in milk, eggs, about animal cruelty, too much animal protein in your body, etc. This book is about ...more
Jenn Forte
Apr 19, 2013 Jenn Forte rated it liked it
This book offered the information I was looking for, for the most part; namely, it offered a good number of vegan 'go-to' foods that someone who is relatively new to vegan eating can use to replace older, more familiar favorites. It was, not surprisingly, geared to the new vegan who hasn't had a chance to do his or her own homework on food substitutions, and so for that I recommend the book.

Not so great: The book didn't offer more in-dapth information on why certain swaps would work well. One cl
Terri
Okay, I didn't want to like this book...I really didn't! But that is only because some of the language has started to bother me...that's on me, not the author. The more I read this book, the more inspired I became, just like when Amy and I were in our "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" phase :)
A really great resource with a bit more in your face encouragement!
Kira
Jan 12, 2014 Kira rated it it was amazing
Full of excellent alternatives for an animal-free diet. I like that Kim's suggestions are more healthy and less junk-foody... mostly organic and GMO-free swaps. Of course there are some junk food swaps (marshmallows!) but you have to indulge sometimes! After checking this book out from the library I was inspired to read the original Skinny Bitch (the title was always a turn off, I thought it was just some diet book).
Catherine
Sep 15, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: self-spirit
Harsh but good if you want to clean up your (eating) act. The books not only identifies what to eat/not eat but provides useful resources.
Melissa
Jan 03, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: vegan
This book focused primarily on showcasing brands that sell vegan 'cheat' food, such as faux chicken nuggets, pizza, ice cream, and more. While these foods are fun to eat every once in a while, the author seems to forget that whole foods (fruits, veggies, etc.) are the healthiest way to live vegan. Not to mention, a lot of the swaps are not readily available in all supermarkets and can be quite expensive. It is a good resource for an occasional indulgence, though.
Melissa
Feb 29, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
I really enjoyed this book over the others. Through my own person searches I was please that many of the items I use are the best swaps for the non-vegan version. But I was also pleasantly surprised by just how thorough this book is with everyday swaps. I would highly recommend this book to anyone whose looking to replace items in their pantries with more wholesome goods without all gunk in it!
Lee
Mar 25, 2012 Lee rated it it was ok
Understandably a four- or five-star book for the American market, but most of these brands are not available near me even though I do have access to a terrific organic/natural foods supplier.... I like that Kim has marked gluten-free products with an asterisk.
Lady
Apr 12, 2012 Lady rated it liked it
This book is informative and helps you substitute everything in your fridge for healthy vegan food. It was a quick read for me, finished the book in two days. Vegan Swaps has a half a dozen recipes listed, for some reason I thought there would be more.
Nenna
Oct 03, 2012 Nenna is currently reading it
It's the Vegan dining app realized. I wanted a physical copy, but it was very flimsy, like one of those $0.15 notebooks you buy on sale at Target. Not cool, especially since a hard copy will put you out about thirty bucks.
Robyn
Jul 30, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, 2014
Good informative read ... but most of these brands can't be found in Canada =/
Lori
Mar 18, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, but she has done so much research as a best selling author on animals and vegan style eating, it's truly a sensational read for a cookbook!!!
Morgan
Feb 21, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
I guess the librarian in me gets props for researching the heck out of this veganism thing. There wasn't a whole lot in this book that I didn't already know.
Jillian
Jun 20, 2013 Jillian rated it really liked it
A quick read that is FULL of ideas for swaps on foods. Definitely something I recommend for those of us new to veganism.
Susan
Feb 04, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
I like Barnouin's voice. I think she's funny. I also like how detailed she is and the many tips she provides
Ashley Howd
Oct 17, 2014 Ashley Howd rated it it was amazing
Lots of brands I'd never heard of which is awesome!
Maria
Jun 26, 2012 Maria added it
it's like the eat this...not that series but for VEGANS!
Audrey
Jan 17, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
funny and good reviews on products
Stephanie
This book changed my life
Samantha Lavin
Samantha Lavin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Anna Olander
Anna Olander marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jewell
Jewell rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Melissa Niemeijer
Melissa Niemeijer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Kera'Nikole
Kera'Nikole marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Abbi Hatake
Abbi Hatake marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • How to Be Vegan: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies for Cruelty-Free Eating, Living, Dating, Travel, Decorating, and More
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • Happy Herbivore Abroad: A Travelogue and Over 135 Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes from Around the World
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The HappyCow Cookbook: Recipes from Top-Rated Vegan Restaurants around the World
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook
  • Vegan Express
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
Before she was a Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnouin was a high school drop-out turned model who only crossed paths with a vegetable on her pizza. Today she is the co-author of The New York Times Bestseller Skinny Bitch with its sequels Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, Skinny Bitch: Just Bitchin and a line of fitness DVDs.

Born in Rhode Island and raised in Maryland, Kim felt she wa
More about Kim Barnouin...