Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps

Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A Must-Have Guide for the Smart Vegan

A vegan lifestyle is the newest hot health trend—thanks in no small part to the smart, fearless, and number one New York Times bestselling Skinny Bitch books. But with so much conflicting information out there, it's not always easy to make the best choices. Now Skinny Bitch coauthor Kim Barnouin is back with a book that makes making the...more
Published February 21st 2012 by HarperOne

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
A long time Vegan myself,Im always looking for new idea's. This is more of a "what to look for" book, like what foods look healthy,but actually aren't. Also exlpains how to avoid the stuff you dont want & read those labels and "swap" for the other stuff without feeling cheated, and which she includes names of products and websites for more info.Also included is the best places for Vegans to shop,top 10 things to eat while on the go(yup that's me)The author also added a few easy and quick rec...more
Deb
I would give this book a solid 3.5 stars--4 for new vegans or those not acquainted with vegan food and products and 3 for a more experienced vegan looking for different options and more knowledge. This is a compact yet comprehensive resource to vegan products with the best "swaps" for conventional products like meat, dairy, eggs, etc., done in the typical Skinny Bitch tone. Not every product is something that I can locate here, or something that I would buy to eat regularly, but it is a useful g...more
Jenn Forte
This book offered the information I was looking for, for the most part; namely, it offered a good number of vegan 'go-to' foods that someone who is relatively new to vegan eating can use to replace older, more familiar favorites. It was, not surprisingly, geared to the new vegan who hasn't had a chance to do his or her own homework on food substitutions, and so for that I recommend the book.

Not so great: The book didn't offer more in-dapth information on why certain swaps would work well. One cl...more
Kira
Full of excellent alternatives for an animal-free diet. I like that Kim's suggestions are more healthy and less junk-foody... mostly organic and GMO-free swaps. Of course there are some junk food swaps (marshmallows!) but you have to indulge sometimes! After checking this book out from the library I was inspired to read the original Skinny Bitch (the title was always a turn off, I thought it was just some diet book).
Melissa
I really enjoyed this book over the others. Through my own person searches I was please that many of the items I use are the best swaps for the non-vegan version. But I was also pleasantly surprised by just how thorough this book is with everyday swaps. I would highly recommend this book to anyone whose looking to replace items in their pantries with more wholesome goods without all gunk in it!
Lee
Understandably a four- or five-star book for the American market, but most of these brands are not available near me even though I do have access to a terrific organic/natural foods supplier.... I like that Kim has marked gluten-free products with an asterisk.
Lady
This book is informative and helps you substitute everything in your fridge for healthy vegan food. It was a quick read for me, finished the book in two days. Vegan Swaps has a half a dozen recipes listed, for some reason I thought there would be more.
Nenna
Oct 03, 2012 Nenna is currently reading it
Shelves: buy-it, cookbook, vegan, hiatus
It's the Vegan dining app realized. I wanted a physical copy, but it was very flimsy, like one of those $0.15 notebooks you buy on sale at Target. Not cool, especially since a hard copy will put you out about thirty bucks.
Lori
Hilarious, but she has done so much research as a best selling author on animals and vegan style eating, it's truly a sensational read for a cookbook!!!
Morgan
I guess the librarian in me gets props for researching the heck out of this veganism thing. There wasn't a whole lot in this book that I didn't already know.
Jillian
A quick read that is FULL of ideas for swaps on foods. Definitely something I recommend for those of us new to veganism.
Susan
I like Barnouin's voice. I think she's funny. I also like how detailed she is and the many tips she provides
Maria
Jun 26, 2012 Maria added it
it's like the eat this...not that series but for VEGANS!
Audrey
funny and good reviews on products
Stephanie
This book changed my life
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Riaf
Riaf marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Lulu Bella
Lulu Bella is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Robyn
Robyn is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
Julie Tyas
Julie Tyas marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Rikki Navarrete
Rikki Navarrete marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately
  • Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Create Delicious Dairy-Free Cheese Substititues and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
Before she was a Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnouin was a high school drop-out turned model who only crossed paths with a vegetable on her pizza. Today she is the co-author of The New York Times Bestseller Skinny Bitch with its sequels Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, Skinny Bitch: Just Bitchin and a line of fitness DVDs.

Born in Rhode Island and raised in Maryland, Kim felt she wa...more
More about Kim Barnouin...
Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes that Are Good to the Earth and Great for Your Bod Skinny Bitch in Love Skinny Bitch: Home, Beauty, and Style A No-Nonsense Guide to Cutting the Crap Out of Your Life for a Better Body and  a Kinder World Skinny Bitch Gets Hitched (Skinny Bitch #2) Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!