Start by marking “Sophie & Carter” as Want to Read:
Sophie & Carter

Sophie & Carter

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  13,324 Ratings  ·  770 Reviews
While other high school seniors are dreaming about their futures, Sophie and Carter are just trying to make it through each day. Carter is overwhelmed by troubles at home as he struggles to support his mother. Meanwhile, next door neighbor Sophie is left to care for her three younger siblings in place of their absent and troubled mother. All that holds these two best frien ...more
Nook, 75 pages
Published January 13th 2011 by Acacia Publishing, Inc. AZ

Sita
Sep 05, 2011 Sita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading and even if you don't
Sophie & Carter. I have no idea how to explain the book. It was short and sweet and I loved it. I wouldn’t have minded if it was a bit longer, because I loved the characters from the minute I heard about them. I thought this picture described how I felt when it was over.

description

Yup, Frustrated...

I still don’t know how to explain the book. So a list:

1. So, the book starts with Sophie being late to English (happens to me a lot), and it progresses on from there. It talks about Sophie & Carter’s ho
Sashana
I have a theory which may offend some people; but the truth is almost always offensive and, as the old adage goes, it hurts.

Theory: For the most part these big name publishers are churning out mediocre- if not crappy- books disguised with pretty covers. The smaller publishers are actually working harder to write quality material but they are overshadowed by the flashy covers. C'mon readers! All that glitters is not gold. Just because the cover is great doesn't mean the book will be. And vice ver
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Yup. Five full stars. Lovely little novella. Made me cry for all the wrong and right reasons. Made me smile. A lot.
Catherine ♡
Okay, so I almost didn't read this book because of the cover. And then I almost didn't finish reading this book because Sophie's POV in the beginning was so sappy and annoying that I just - ugh.

But I could not be more glad that I pulled through, because damn, that was quite a story. It was definitely heartwrenching, but of course I wish it was longer and more in depth.

Although I understand how Sophie and Carter helped each other, part of me wishes that the focus was more about their dysfunctiona
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Feb 16, 2012 Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tanja (Tanychy) by: Glass
Shelves: romance
*wiping the tears*
It looks like I've developed some new sense for books that will make me cry. I can feel it on the page one I think. So this sweet little book really made me cry.
I loved description of connection between Sophie & Carter. They're so sweet.
Yes it will have 5 stars from me, although it could have been a bit longer. So much about (now I'm quoting myself) "I won't give 5 stars to every book that make me cry", pff I'm not the woman of my word when it comes to that. To be honest
Sandy
2.5

What this story lacks is DEPTH. This book is a quick read (I read it in just over an hour) which hinders the story. It just needs MORE...more character development, more plot development, more complexity. The writing felt a bit amateurish at times, and several phrases were overused.

The premise has a lot of potential, but the writing needs to delve deeper and increase the complexity and further explore what's been created.

If you're looking for a moving story about abuse, I'd recommend Cindy C.
Shelly Crane
Nov 28, 2011 Shelly Crane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
So good, and heartbreaking, and real, and sweet, and fulfilling. Awesome read.
Angel
Sep 13, 2011 Angel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Sophie & Carter, in one word, was freaking-adorable. See what I did there? I hyphenated it to make it one word. I’m so clever.
Sophie is this sweet, young girl whose mother has abandoned not only her, but her three younger siblings, as well. She lived the kind of life that is hard to imagine—it was more or less a nightmare—but she still had this sense of sweet innocence to her, and although she was wise beyond her years, she gave off this vibe of naïveté that, to me, made her feel all the mor
Book Twirps
Oct 07, 2011 Book Twirps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie’s mother is a drug-addicted prostitute, leaving Sophie to take care of herself and her three siblings. Carter’s father abused both he and his mother leaving Carter physically and emotionally scarred and his mother with severe dementia. Every day after school Sophie comes home to take care of “the littles” (her siblings) and Carter comes home to help his mother rid the house of whatever imaginary demons that currently plague her. Their only solace is the time they spend together every nigh ...more
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

The story is about Sophie and Carter (obviously, right?) who live next door to each other.. They both have shit home lifes, where Sophie's mom is the forgetful prostitute with 4 children, Carter's daddy beats him and his mother on a regular basis.

Sophie doesn't date, I mean seriously who could when you're raising your mother's off-springs, trying to pay bills, finish high-school without the children being taken away.

I did mention her mother forgets she has 4 children, right?

Carter also plays a
Erin
Feb 10, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
********Rating: 3.5 Stars************

I ordered this from amazon and I laughed when it arrived; I didn't realize how short it was, so when this little tiny thing came in the mail I was quite surprised! The story sounded great, though, and I picked it up last night as a quick read before I called it a night. Overall, it was a cute story with likeable characters, and their situation was something that drew me in and kept me reading.

Sophie and Carter have lived right next door to each other since t
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Sophie & Carter is about one hundred and four pages. It’s a short read, but it’s a powerful one. There’s no way you will put this book down until the last word. And it’s even longer from your heart to let it rest. I'm still crying as I write this review.

Chelsea Fine has written a beautiful, heart-melting story. She’s an astonishingly talented author. I'm amazed at how strong and beautiful this story is, and can’t wait to see more from this author. Sophie has lived next door to Carter since t
Chiara
Aug 07, 2012 Chiara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho mille libri in lista di attesa ma non riesco a resistere alla tentazione di vagare sul web, nei blog o semplicemente su Goodreads alla ricerca di nuovi titoli interessanti.

E' così che ho trovato questo libro, un racconto breve che si legge in una sera, una piccola perla piena di dolcezza, tenerezza, speranza ma anche dolore.

Sophie e Carter stanno per diplomarsi, sono vicini di casa, così vicini che dalle reciproche finestre possono vedere e sentire tutto ciò che accade nella casa dell'altro.
Sadia
Sep 17, 2011 Sadia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching little read filled to the brim with love, loss and hurt. Have you ever heard of that quote: 'the best of things come in small packages', well if you look up that quote you should get a picture of this book to illustrate it. (:

The characters are beautiful, inside and out, they are brave and inspiring. I like how Sophie and Carter both have each other, all the time, I like how they have an understanding. It's lovely.

There's no real twist or plot or anything, just two complicated senio
Eunice
4.5 of 5 stars

I love this book. Really. It's sweet, heartwarming and touching. I love every part of it. Its an easy and quick read though I wouldn't really mind if the story is longer. I would love to see more of Sophie and Carter.

I admire their friendship, their relationship and their devotion to each other. They understand each other even without speaking, they know each others hurts and struggles and they know that they could trust and depend on each other. It was great and really heartwarmi
Raine Thomas
Jul 26, 2011 Raine Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book's guts!

Sophie & Carter is a "boy-and-girl-next-door" young adult story unlike anything I've ever read. It follows 18-year-old Sophie Hartman and her same-aged next-door neighbor Carter Jax through their last weeks of high school. The reader learns early on that their lives are anything but typical. But they're very good at pretending otherwise.

Ms. Fine does an amazing job of making the two main characters, whose circumstances are quite heartbreaking, anything but pitiable.
Misty Baker
Jan 06, 2012 Misty Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother-in-law is a reader. A causal one, of course, because she (unlike myself) has a life, but the fact remains that she is…indeed…a participant in that nightly brain-numbing ritual so many of us hold so dear. This (her need to read) is a heartily welcomed habit in regards to our relationship (aka I don’t have much else in common with her, and sometimes find myself struggling for topics of conversation while in her presence. ) She is sweet, well meaning, and always on the go, all qualities I ...more
Tara
Mar 06, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so normally I read more "happy-go-lucky," romantic tension-filled, light, fun reads. This was not that kind of book. But not in a bad way. It was heartbreakingly beautiful and sweet. There was more to this novella than some full-length novels. Not all teenagers' lives are cotton candy-filled existences, where the biggest problem is deciding what to wear to school. Sometimes their lives suck and they are forced to be adults long before their time.
Such is the case with Sophie and Carter. They
NightlyReading
I loved the synopsis for this book and it kind of reminded me of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzema, just without the incest part. The two main characters have big shoes to fill being the head of their households and somehow find solace in each other.

Carter’s mother has a mental illness which leaves her unable to care for herself. The illness was brought on by too many blows to the head by Carter’s father. Not only did Carter’s dad beat his mom, but he was also abused as a child until he put a stop to
BookHookup
Nov 03, 2011 BookHookup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes life deals you more then you ever thought you could possibly handle. And, sometimes we are blessed with that one person that is always there for us, picks us up from our impossible lives and urges us forward regardless of the situation or circumstance and this story tells the tale of just that…

Best friends and next door neighbors, Sophie and Carter are forced to take on unimaginable responsibilities and grow up entirely too fast because of their difficult and dysfunctional lives. As th
PopcornReads
Autographed Book Giveaway & Review:
I don’t recall how I learned about Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine, only that something about the synopsis for this story caught my eye and touched my heart. I do know that I contacted the publisher and asked to review it, and (with fingers crossed) asked if they would sponsor a book giveaway. Not only has the publisher provided a novel but it’s an autographed copy, which is so cool!

You know I don’t traditionally review romance novels, unless there’s so
Tamara Rose Blodgett
This is a very different narrative twist and I loved the way the author shifted back and forth between the two perspectives of the dual-MC's. It was truly riveting to see, fish-bowl style, their dysfunctional and tragic lives up close. What was really interesting is how much alike they were on the inside, regardless of gender.

Two kids that live next door to each other witness the systematic abuse of the other over their mutual childhood and find solace in each other...as friends. When graduation
Tamara
Sep 12, 2011 Tamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Our moment is over so I slowly release her. She moves away from me and a piece of me dies."

Oh boy *suffers from a total cuteness overload*
I got my copy of Sophie & Carter for review earlier today and started it immediately. *fast-forward a few hours* And here I am now, writing this review with a big happy smile on my face.
117 pages long, this novel had me aww-ing, smiling, feeling sad and sorry all in once.
Sophie and Carter, the two main characters and narratives, had been through hell of
Fabiana
Es un libro muy corto, pero no voy a decir que es ligero. Lloré literalmente durante todo el libro. Literalmente.
Todo.
El.
Libro.
Admito ser sensible, pero esto no fue por mí, es un libro triste y que, siendo tan corto y explicando tan poco sobre tantas cosas, te deja casi con ganas de haber leído más acerca de esta historia. Que todo fuera narrado desde el principio, desde que ellos comenzaron con esa amistad que los convirtió en aliados en busca de la felicidad que se encontraba tan lejos, desde
Glass
Feb 13, 2012 Glass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lately, my top choice when it comes to the books are those with stories about music and people who love music. But this one wasn't of that kind. I wanted to read something else, but title caught my attention - I remembered that one of my Goodreads friends had read this book and she liked it. I opened it just to read first few sentences (something I do when I'm not sure what to read next), and before I knew it, my Kindle shown me that I was on 80% of the book.

You can read complete review on my
Jacqueline Glz
Yo sabía justo en el momento en el que comencé el libro que lo iba a amar con todo mi ser. La verdad es que la portada no me convencía mucho, pero eso ya es otra cosa.

Hay momentos que de verdad son tan dolorosos, pero hay otros en cambio que son tan felices y llenos de esperanza. Aunque pensé que el final iba a ser más trágico, tuvo un final feliz. Y bien merecido.

Me hubiese gustado que fuese un poquito más largo, aunque justo así es más que perfecto.
Shei Belikov
Apr 20, 2012 Shei Belikov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es una historia muy linda a pesar de las difíciles vidas que cada uno tiene.

Carter es un amor, y juntos hacen una pareja perfecta!

La historia podría haberse desarrollado mucho más, al igual que los personajes pero igual me gustó mucho, aunque un epílogo no hubiera venido nada mal.
Silvana
Aug 20, 2015 Silvana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya, read-in-2015
Few hours crying,feeling grateful and melting. It's so good, real and inspirational book.
Esther
Oct 29, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha sorprendido. Tenia unas expectativas bajas y realmente me ha encantado.
Es dulce, real y adorable.
Sam
I read this when I was like 11 and I was definitely way too young.
Read this book 7 70 Jan 22, 2013 04:56AM
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • A Little Less Girl
  • Betraying Innocence
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Dream Chaser
  • The Unofficial Zack Warren Fan Club (Unofficial #1)
  • Angelsong (Dark Angel, #3)
  • Freeing Carter
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Saving Face
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • His Eyes
  • Please Don't Tell (Please Don't Tell, #1)
  • So Over You
I write, I paint, I drink coffee and I love superheroes. I fail at cooking and putting laundry away and I have a minor addiction to reading. Okay, major. Friend me!
More about Chelsea Fine...

“Love.
Not the kind you see in the movies or hear about on the radio.
The real kind.
The kind that gets beaten down and bloody, yet perseveres.
The kind that hopes even when hope seems foolish.
The kind that can forgives. The kind that believes in healing.
The kind that can sit in silence and feel renewed.
The real kind of love.
It's rare and we have it..”
411 likes
“He's not the most popular guy in school. He's not the hottest guy to ever live. But to me, he's everything.” 77 likes