Start by marking “Dead Island” as Want to Read:
Dead Island

Dead Island

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  39 reviews
What will you do? How far will you go? What will you become?

Welcome to Banoi, a tropical island where you can leave the stresses of the world behind...

Welcome to the Royal Palms Resort - which offers its guests from around the world the ultimate in luxury and relaxation...

Welcome to the holiday paradise where your dreams should come true...but where a nightmare is about to
Published September 8th 2011 by Bantam (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Island

I've been a fan Mark Morris' books for a while and I've enjoyed reading this novelisation a lot. He does wonders to disguise a series of game missions into something that feels like an organic story. I haven’t played the game yet, because I’ve already got a pile of Xbox games to work through and some of the reviews have been less than kind, so I can’t compare directly but as a zombie survival horror this novel certainly stands proud in an overcrowded sub-genre.

The characterisation is the stronge
Jonathan Echevarria
I finished Dead Island the novel today. I wasn't expecting the changes they made to the story in the video game. Then again how does one craft a story around a game full of crafting magical weapons that can shoot lighting out of it?

Taking a more serious route with the story was a smart choice. Though a sequel to the book is unlikely I would of enjoyed it if this was made into a series. I will add that I actually cared about these main characters, where in the video game I couldn't of cared less
I picked up this book just because the introduction got me interested, although I've not played nor even known the game. And I enjoyed it quite much. It was indeed a game-like story, when one goal was reached a new one took place, which helped keeping me interested through to the end. Fast-paced, exciting, easy read.

But I was not content with the ending, because it was not really the ending. I guess maybe the game will have a sequel - in that case will this novelization also have a sequel?
Brandon Becker
If you like fiction, suspense you will like Dead Island. What will you do? How far will you go? What will you become? That is the deciding factor as the four main protagonists get dragged into the world of Banoi. Guests go to the paradise island for a relaxing weekend, or so they think. Soon almost everyone on the island become the undead flesh hungry corpses of their former selves. For our four main protagonists and a couple of other vacationers who are immune to the plague, they must come face ...more
Amber Carson
Despite the fact that most reviews for this book were negative I could not put it down once i began reading it! I really liked this book, kept me on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed the video game that inspired this book also called "Dead Island"
Lisa Sandberg
Great zombie book.

On the paradise island of Banoi people are becoming infected and going mad. Four people are summoned by a stranger to get off the island. Little do they know that there is a mission involved. They continue to work together to complete the tasks laid before them, hoping it will lead to a way off the island.

I liked how these complete strangers came together to help each other. They run into a whole mess of trouble with something delaying them at every turn. They also meet sever
Rebecca Liddle
Although the storyline was thrilling, the book went way too in depth with gore. The similes were child-like and the language was much too simple for any exciting reading.
As has been mentioned by other readers, the ending was left wide open for a sequel - there had better be one!
This one caught my eye because it was/is originally a PC game of the same name. Even the cover is the same. It made me borrow it just to see how the heck they turned a game into a story.

Having sucked majorly at the game and not able to get out of the resort, I was excited to read the book to see if it shed light on the game. Of course, having not finished the game I don't know what's accurate. Maybe I'll try the game again on the lowest level of difficulty.

Anyway, onto the book. I quite enjoyed
Okay so i picked this book up from a shop in clearance for 50p and i got it because i had nothing to read at the time and the cover looked decent.
However i am not a zombie fanatic or anything of the sort, when i found out the book was dealing with zombies i was little skeptical, although the start was a little dull for my liking the story itself got very intense and thrilling. I ended up loving this book, even telling all my friends about it and detailing the characters to them and the plot, alt
Sue Rundle-hughes
‘Dead Island’ is a story about four characters who find themselves on Banoi, ‘a tropical island paradise’ that turns out to be nothing like paradise after a plague breaks out on the island, turning nearly everyone into zombies. It sounded good and it was ‘okay’ but a bit disappointing. The novel was very easy to read but I found the story a little dull and repetitive after a while. There was a lot of gore and zombie action, but it wasn't what I expected, hence the lower rating, but that's probab ...more
Mike Mages
Going into this book, I had finished the the game and was excited to read the book. What a disappointment. First of all, it took wayyyyy to long to get into this book. (It might have been somewhat disappointing because it wasn't similar to the video game story line.) I found myself spending far to much time on this book than was actually needed. I didn't actually get excited about this book until the last few chapters (maybe because I just wanted it to end?)

Unless you really enjoy the video gam
Dennis Chen
John Hepple
I love Mark Morris as an author, Toady being one of my favourite books of all time. But something was lacking in this book. It may well be that I had already played the game and therefore was familiar with the plot, but it just didnt seem to grab my attention.
The more in-depth backstories to the characters were welcome and quite interesting, but other than that the characters sadly came across as dull and rather one-dimensional.
Sticking quite closely to the games plot, there are no real surpri
The toy calculates the most young. The soft trash disadvantages the heritage. A blank beef discriminates. The built coat impresses a spokesman. The recipient inhabits a combined flavor opposite a legend.
!5 points. dead island by mark morris.

Dead island is a book about for survivors that are all on the island for there own reasons i well not go into the reasons why becuase they are spoilers but i well name the four. Sam B, Naomi. Travis. perma.
THe four are all at the island at the same time but they didnt come for what they expected a random zombie apoclpyse has sprong out and they all must work together t get out alive and struggle dde to eachothers realtonships and struggles.THe only problem i
I had never played Dead Island before and never heard of Mark Morris before this book. I was recommended this by a friend who also bought it but never actually finished reading it.
I read it in two days flat, probably the quickest I've read a book. It's fast-paced and for someone who is unfamiliar with the plot, always keeps you guessing. I loved every bit of bit and would recommend this to others.
After reading this, I played the game for a bit and it's good how accurate Mark keeps it. The charac
This isn't a masterpiece or even something to rival some of the best work by Morris, but it's still bags of fun with skilful characterisation and a plot that kept me hooked until the very end. It's apparently based on a computer game. Since I don't bother with games much these days, I hadn't even heard of it, let alone a desire to play it. My interest was in it being a fresh title from a favourite author of mine. After reading and enjoying this thoroughly satisfying caper, I think I'll seek it o ...more
Sean C
Pretty faithful to the game, but nothing special otherwise.
Aug 22, 2014 Chip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
More 3.5 out of 5, but a fun time killer.
This book was very well done, but having played the game I think it should have had a more of Logan and Xian Mei. Most of the story seemed focused on Purna and Sam. Kind of a bummer there won't be a next book since it stopped at more of a cliff hanger than the game did. I mean I suppose it could tie into riptide pretty easily, but from what Kevin/Cheron said it also could be completely different. Overall a great book though.
Like the game, but less fun...
Joshua Smith
Absolutely BRILLIANT book! Portrays the characters much better than the game. Very emotional.
Finished in one sitting which was disappointing. I'd have liked a longer story or at least a deeper one but on a whole it was very good. I enjoyed the video game so learning the backgrounds and the bits you don't see in game was fun.
One of the better video game adaptation novels, it clearly defines the storyline that got twisted in the game. If you played the game you'll recognize the plot and the locations though it's not a pure retelling of the game. If you haven't played it but are a fan of zombie stories then I highly suggest you read this.
Sam Wise The Black, Someone's Property Purna, Turning Japanese Xien Mei and El Loo-Hooney Logan all brought great persona to a modern day manic jizz fantasy. well done; if i could describe it with a face, then i would have to pull a 'Grimace' face.
Not high on the list of zombie books, if there is such a list, but like the video game it is based on it is a nice mindless escape.
This book is absolutely perfect and goes hand in hand with the video game. If you like the game, this is a great way to fill you in on how everything went down in Banoi before the virus spread. Great read!
Justin Cales
I have played the game three times through and still enjoyed this book. In the game you only play as one character, but the book has them all in here together. It was a great and fun read.
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Zero Hour (Resident Evil, #0)
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • Starcraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 1
Mark Morris became a full-time writer in 1988 on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme, and a year later saw the release of his first novel, Toady. He has since published a further sixteen novels, among which are Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor Who range.

His short stories, novellas, articles and reviews have appeared in a wide va
More about Mark Morris...
Doctor Who: Forever Autumn Doctor Who: Ghosts of India Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11) Doctor Who: The Bodysnatchers Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye