Start by marking “Dead Island” as Want to Read:
Dead Island

Dead Island

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Based on the terrifying new video game, a novel of the zombie apocalypse Welcome to Banoi, a tropical island where you can leave the stresses of the world behind. The Royal Palms Resort offers its guests from around the world the ultimate in luxury and relaxation,a holiday paradise where your dreams should come true—but where a nightmare is about to begin. Amysterious e ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Transworld Publishers (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Island

Gareth
Feb 18, 2012 Gareth rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I've been a fan Mark Morris' books for a while and I've enjoyed reading this novelisation a lot. He does wonders to disguise a series of game missions into something that feels like an organic story. I haven’t played the game yet, because I’ve already got a pile of Xbox games to work through and some of the reviews have been less than kind, so I can’t compare directly but as a zombie survival horror this novel certainly stands proud in an overcrowded sub-genre.

The characterisation is the stronge
Jonathan Echevarria
I finished Dead Island the novel today. I wasn't expecting the changes they made to the story in the video game. Then again how does one craft a story around a game full of crafting magical weapons that can shoot lighting out of it?

Taking a more serious route with the story was a smart choice. Though a sequel to the book is unlikely I would of enjoyed it if this was made into a series. I will add that I actually cared about these main characters, where in the video game I couldn't of cared less
Sato
Jan 01, 2012 Sato rated it really liked it
I picked up this book just because the introduction got me interested, although I've not played nor even known the game. And I enjoyed it quite much. It was indeed a game-like story, when one goal was reached a new one took place, which helped keeping me interested through to the end. Fast-paced, exciting, easy read.

But I was not content with the ending, because it was not really the ending. I guess maybe the game will have a sequel - in that case will this novelization also have a sequel?
Amber Carson
Nov 29, 2011 Amber Carson rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Despite the fact that most reviews for this book were negative I could not put it down once i began reading it! I really liked this book, kept me on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed the video game that inspired this book also called "Dead Island"
Lisa Sandberg
Jun 14, 2014 Lisa Sandberg rated it really liked it
Great zombie book.

On the paradise island of Banoi people are becoming infected and going mad. Four people are summoned by a stranger to get off the island. Little do they know that there is a mission involved. They continue to work together to complete the tasks laid before them, hoping it will lead to a way off the island.

I liked how these complete strangers came together to help each other. They run into a whole mess of trouble with something delaying them at every turn. They also meet sever
Rebecca Liddle
Jun 30, 2015 Rebecca Liddle rated it it was ok
Although the storyline was thrilling, the book went way too in depth with gore. The similes were child-like and the language was much too simple for any exciting reading.
Donna
Jan 25, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
As has been mentioned by other readers, the ending was left wide open for a sequel - there had better be one!
Kat
This one caught my eye because it was/is originally a PC game of the same name. Even the cover is the same. It made me borrow it just to see how the heck they turned a game into a story.

Having sucked majorly at the game and not able to get out of the resort, I was excited to read the book to see if it shed light on the game. Of course, having not finished the game I don't know what's accurate. Maybe I'll try the game again on the lowest level of difficulty.

Anyway, onto the book. I quite enjoyed
Mary
Dec 29, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Okay so i picked this book up from a shop in clearance for 50p and i got it because i had nothing to read at the time and the cover looked decent.
However i am not a zombie fanatic or anything of the sort, when i found out the book was dealing with zombies i was little skeptical, although the start was a little dull for my liking the story itself got very intense and thrilling. I ended up loving this book, even telling all my friends about it and detailing the characters to them and the plot, alt
Sue Rundle-hughes
Oct 21, 2012 Sue Rundle-hughes rated it liked it
‘Dead Island’ is a story about four characters who find themselves on Banoi, ‘a tropical island paradise’ that turns out to be nothing like paradise after a plague breaks out on the island, turning nearly everyone into zombies. It sounded good and it was ‘okay’ but a bit disappointing. The novel was very easy to read but I found the story a little dull and repetitive after a while. There was a lot of gore and zombie action, but it wasn't what I expected, hence the lower rating, but that's probab ...more
Mike Mages
Jun 01, 2013 Mike Mages rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Going into this book, I had finished the the game and was excited to read the book. What a disappointment. First of all, it took wayyyyy to long to get into this book. (It might have been somewhat disappointing because it wasn't similar to the video game story line.) I found myself spending far to much time on this book than was actually needed. I didn't actually get excited about this book until the last few chapters (maybe because I just wanted it to end?)

Unless you really enjoy the video gam
Brandon Becker
Jan 05, 2016 Brandon Becker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
If you like fiction, suspense you will like Dead Island. What will you do? How far will you go? What will you become? That is the deciding factor as the four main protagonists get dragged into the world of Banoi. Guests go to the paradise island for a relaxing weekend, or so they think. Soon almost everyone on the island become the undead flesh hungry corpses of their former selves. For our four main protagonists and a couple of other vacationers who are immune to the plague, they must come face ...more
Dennis Chen
Alex
Dec 26, 2011 Alex rated it it was ok
John Hepple
May 27, 2012 John Hepple rated it it was ok
I love Mark Morris as an author, Toady being one of my favourite books of all time. But something was lacking in this book. It may well be that I had already played the game and therefore was familiar with the plot, but it just didnt seem to grab my attention.
The more in-depth backstories to the characters were welcome and quite interesting, but other than that the characters sadly came across as dull and rather one-dimensional.
Sticking quite closely to the games plot, there are no real surpri
Heather4Ever
Sep 16, 2014 Heather4Ever rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The toy calculates the most young. The soft trash disadvantages the heritage. A blank beef discriminates. The built coat impresses a spokesman. The recipient inhabits a combined flavor opposite a legend.
05AlexxP
Nov 01, 2012 05AlexxP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews, reviews
!5 points. dead island by mark morris.

Dead island is a book about for survivors that are all on the island for there own reasons i well not go into the reasons why becuase they are spoilers but i well name the four. Sam B, Naomi. Travis. perma.
THe four are all at the island at the same time but they didnt come for what they expected a random zombie apoclpyse has sprong out and they all must work together t get out alive and struggle dde to eachothers realtonships and struggles.THe only problem i
Katie
Oct 20, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I had never played Dead Island before and never heard of Mark Morris before this book. I was recommended this by a friend who also bought it but never actually finished reading it.
I read it in two days flat, probably the quickest I've read a book. It's fast-paced and for someone who is unfamiliar with the plot, always keeps you guessing. I loved every bit of bit and would recommend this to others.
After reading this, I played the game for a bit and it's good how accurate Mark keeps it. The charac
Gaz
Jan 29, 2012 Gaz rated it really liked it
This isn't a masterpiece or even something to rival some of the best work by Morris, but it's still bags of fun with skilful characterisation and a plot that kept me hooked until the very end. It's apparently based on a computer game. Since I don't bother with games much these days, I hadn't even heard of it, let alone a desire to play it. My interest was in it being a fresh title from a favourite author of mine. After reading and enjoying this thoroughly satisfying caper, I think I'll seek it o ...more
Bobby Brailsford
Jan 18, 2016 Bobby Brailsford rated it liked it
The book was very rushed I felt as it had much moving about but not much depth
Sean C
Jan 26, 2015 Sean C rated it it was ok
Pretty faithful to the game, but nothing special otherwise.
Chip
Aug 22, 2014 Chip rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
More 3.5 out of 5, but a fun time killer.
Alyssa
Aug 17, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
This book was very well done, but having played the game I think it should have had a more of Logan and Xian Mei. Most of the story seemed focused on Purna and Sam. Kind of a bummer there won't be a next book since it stopped at more of a cliff hanger than the game did. I mean I suppose it could tie into riptide pretty easily, but from what Kevin/Cheron said it also could be completely different. Overall a great book though.
Robert
Aug 27, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Like the game, but less fun...
Joshua Smith
Mar 06, 2014 Joshua Smith rated it it was amazing
Absolutely BRILLIANT book! Portrays the characters much better than the game. Very emotional.
Ryne
Nov 17, 2012 Ryne rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
One of the better video game adaptation novels, it clearly defines the storyline that got twisted in the game. If you played the game you'll recognize the plot and the locations though it's not a pure retelling of the game. If you haven't played it but are a fan of zombie stories then I highly suggest you read this.
Diego Souza
Oct 18, 2015 Diego Souza rated it it was ok
Shelves: zombies
Meh.
Ernie
Oct 18, 2012 Ernie rated it really liked it
Sam Wise The Black, Someone's Property Purna, Turning Japanese Xien Mei and El Loo-Hooney Logan all brought great persona to a modern day manic jizz fantasy. well done; if i could describe it with a face, then i would have to pull a 'Grimace' face.
John
Apr 15, 2015 John rated it liked it
Not high on the list of zombie books, if there is such a list, but like the video game it is based on it is a nice mindless escape.
Katie
Aug 17, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely perfect and goes hand in hand with the video game. If you like the game, this is a great way to fill you in on how everything went down in Banoi before the virus spread. Great read!
  • Dead Space
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Alan Wake
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Crysis: Legion
  • Bad Seeds: Evil Progeny
  • Nemesis (Resident Evil, #5)
  • Homefront: The Voice of Freedom
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Battlefield 3: The Russian
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • Starcraft: Ghost Academy, Volume 1
  • Resistance: The Gathering Storm
  • The Evil Within
Mark Morris became a full-time writer in 1988 on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme, and a year later saw the release of his first novel, Toady. He has since published a further sixteen novels, among which are Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor Who range.

His short stories, novellas, articles and reviews have appeared in a wide va
More about Mark Morris...