Start by marking “My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up” as Want to Read:
My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up

My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A nail-biting - no, make that toe-biting - thrill ride through one boy's life.

Have you ever been kissed by a dog? Ever had to eat Vegemite off your sister's big toe? Have you had a job delivering teeth? Has a bloodthirsty magpie ever been out to get you? Ever woken up to discover that everything hovers? And have you eaten 67 hot dogs in ten minutes?

I have. I'm Tom Weekly
Published (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up

Creative Kids Tales
Dec 17, 2014 Creative Kids Tales rated it really liked it
My life & other stuff I made up
By Tristan Bancks

This hilarious (and sometimes in appropriate!) story tells the tale of Tom Weekly, a pretty normal school boy who finds himself in some pretty wacky situations. Hot dog eating competitions, vegemite consumption off sister’s toes and brave and battling Grannies are just some of the adventures that will enthrall young readers.

I tried to read this book to myself, but the comical insight of Tom begs to be shared so it was with only a slight blush t
Louis
Jul 02, 2014 Louis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Oh man, was this a gem or what?

My life and other stuff I made up by Tristan Bancks is supposed to be a children's book I think (cfr. cover + doodles + writing style) but even for the larger children amongst us (Yellowcard comes to mind: "you don't grow up, you just grow old") this book is like eye candy. I haven't had this much reading fun in years (this must be the definition of random hilarity). You never know what to expect and Bancks is an expert in inserting tiny phrases that make you go "
Susie
Feb 21, 2015 Susie rated it liked it
For me, this was a 3, but for intermediate/middle boys, I'm sure it would be a 4 or 5. Yes, gross, repulsive, full of poo.. just what they would like. When it gets down to teachers stealing scabs....

Very imaginative, and could be used to inspire kids in their writing. Just not my thing at this age. It was alternately funny and cringe-worthy.
Karen
Sep 11, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jfic, aus
Funny, almost to the point where I could see people wanting to ban it from schools/libraries, etc. So yeah, it is great stuff! "My Nan's Tougher" is about two grandmas having a fist fight, it is amazing and my fave of the stories.

I had to special order it from San Diego Library, so I guess it's hard to get here.
Gaby
Apr 12, 2014 Gaby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realise that I'm not the target audience for this book. So the parts that were so gross they made me squeal and feel ill may actually be enjoyed by young readers. This book was similar to Paul Jennings' work and was a combination of short stories involving the same characters. I did appreciate the ridiculousness of some of the tales though. I would use the 'My Nan's Tougher' story when teaching about exaggeration in writing (this one made me laugh). A good addition to our library.
Alice Chiu
Apr 10, 2016 Alice Chiu rated it really liked it
Weirdest Book ever
readknitread
This book hilarious! Kids will love the short stories. The book takes place in Australia so there are a few words that may throw them off but it won't stop them from laughing out loud.

Stories to get them hooked pg 58-83 is about whose grandma is tougher. How do you decide? Have them box it out of course.

pg 14-40 a hot dog eating contest that will make the read gag.He eats 67 in ten minutes. But it is the secret formula that will bring out the ewwwwww.
Sass Queen
Nov 04, 2015 Sass Queen rated it it was amazing
I love it.
I personally met Tristan Banks, and he is an awesome person!
His books are funny and give you a good laugh. I remember him telling me the story about his sister's toe, and how he got his appendix taken out. Not entirely sure if it was true... but it is great book nonetheless.
Carolyn Masek
Jan 26, 2013 Carolyn Masek rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud and then had to explain to my non-reader son what was so funny. A great book about a funny boy with a vivid imagination and a bad habit of getting into sticky situations. Loved it!
Kelsey Bates
Read alike to Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Very episodic, which could be confusing to kids. Set in Australia, which was refreshing.
Dimity Powell
May 10, 2014 Dimity Powell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Hil-ar-ri-ous! and just a little bit repulsive too. Two ingredients kids find irresistible. Nice one.
Dennis
Apr 11, 2013 Dennis rated it really liked it
Very funny! Middle grade guys will love it.
Lauren
Jul 01, 2013 Lauren rated it liked it
Its interesting.
Koh Chun Yao
Koh Chun Yao rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
North Star
North Star is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2016
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Renee
Renee added it
Jan 17, 2016
Luca
Luca rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Hux
Hux rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 12, 2016
emma turner
emma turner rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Dyatmika Library
Dyatmika Library is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Lauren Jones
Lauren Jones rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2015
Hqo998
Hqo998 rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
1979416
Tristan Bancks is a children’s and teen author with a background in acting and filmmaking. His books include the My Life series, Mac Slater (Australia and US) and Two Wolves, a crime-mystery novel for middle-graders. Two Wolves won Honour Book in the 2015 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards. It also won the YABBA and KOALA Children’s Choice Awards. It is released in the US ...more
More about Tristan Bancks...