Start by marking “Waking Up in Charleston (The Charleston Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Waking Up in Charleston (The Charleston Trilogy, #3)

Waking Up in Charleston (The Charleston Trilogy #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,328 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The moment Amanda defied her rich and powerful father to marry Bobby O'Leary, Big Max disowned her. Even now, with Bobby dead and Amanda mired in debt, he refuses to forgive her.

But Caleb, the new man in Amanda's life, is determined to mend fences between father and daughter. He also has a far more personal mission—to make Amanda and her family his own. But when she learns
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Mira (first published 2002)

Feb 23, 2013 Darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, romance, 2013
It seemed like the author was trying to stuff too much in this one. We had the main love story with Amanda and Caleb, then there was the drama with Amanda and Big Max, the romance with the young couple, and finally the drama with the secret Big Max had been keeping all Amanda's life.

I found the romance between Amanda and Caleb to be kind of blah, the only drama was because of Big Max. I thought what was happening with the younger couple more interesting, but utterly predictable. As for all the
Esther Somorai
Aug 04, 2015 Esther Somorai rated it really liked it
ISBN-13:978-0-7783-1326-7 Copyright 2006

I have only one issue that happened in this story that is totally inappropriate in this particular situation involving the character Caleb. It is so totally and completely out of character, that it pretty much ruined this wonderful, character-driven story that Sherryl Woods composed, why she did it, is beyond me. To ruin such a wonderful character is completely unthinkable...A Punch To The Gut. IF NOT FOR THIS, it would be a 5-star + read.
Sherrie Hansen
I enjoyed the characters but found the plot a little repetitive. Being a minister's wife myself, I wanted a deeper POV - to find out how Caleb felt about the conflicts of what he felt for Amanda and his faith, and how Amanda felt about the prospect of being a minister's wife when she was very low on faith. Despite that, I found it hard to put the book down, and enjoyed the read.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Charleston Trilogy
Category: Contemporary Romance
Jun 06, 2016 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The "Southerners are backwards racists" trope is old and unnecessary and entirely untrue for the most part. I didn't even finish reading it. I was already annoyed by the "we're having a baby; we should get married immediately" story line so when I got to the racist plot, I just quit. As a Southerner in an interracial marriage, this is an irritating plot line to me. My husband and I have been married for almost five years and we dated for two before that and I have never had anyone say anything n ...more
Feb 11, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good finish to the Charleston novels. This story is about Reverend Caleb Webb and Amanda O'Leary. Amanda and her family has finally moved into the house that Caleb's church helped build and she finally had what we thought we needed for her family but something was missing and that was Caleb. He thought his secrets would keep Amanda from him but he just didn't know how much she really loved him. It is also a story about being stubborn and not being able to forgive or forget no matter wh ...more
Thought I had read this already, because I'm pretty sure I read both the previous books in the series more than once. But I hadn't. This is the book in which the widowed single mom finally makes peace with her stubborn estranged father, and finds a new romantic interest along the way. A preacher, no less. He has his own painful secret that her thinks she will think is unforgivable, meanwhile he nags her to forgive her father who is keeping a shocking secret of his own. It's a good, soap-opera-is ...more
This is the third and as of right now final book in this series. I liked this story the best of the three. All of the books were easy to read and fun. Always fun to meat different people in a small town. I liked the series but if you only have so much time to read their are others that I would prefer.
Apr 07, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Sherryl Woods provides a deep character driven tale. I have read all three books and as usual Ms. Woods has lived up to her reputation. I highly recommend this three book series to any and all... The story is lively, the plot well thought out and the characters are"real"... Very enjoyable read.
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Yeoh Lingxuan
I find amanda's mother coming back after 30 years very unrealistic. There were too little written about Mary Louise and Willie Ron friendship. I don't understand why Willie Ron was there. And the girls friendship was not strong, why is amanda so grateful?
Judith Holmes
Sep 13, 2015 Judith Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read.

A very touching story. I'm glad that Amanda and Caleb ended up together. They both deserved this happy ending. Great!
CJ Hines
I borrowed this from my library because it was rated 5 stars. However, it was not a 5-star story. Turned out to be predictable and just so-so.
May 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! I wish I had started with the first in the series, but there isn't too much of a story arc, if you start mid series.
Cindy Laing
Aug 04, 2013 Cindy Laing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was by far my favorite in this trilogy. It was a very emotional book about honesty, deceipt, pride and forgiveness. Secrets and misunderstandings are woven throughout the stories between Amanda, Caleb, Big Max, Mary Louise and Danny. There are pregnancies, teenage angst, children looking for parental approval and sometimes falling short, feelings of inadequacy, as well as the love story between Caleb & Amanda and Mary Louise & Danny. I found myself getting choked up and teary a ...more
Jan 05, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion the Charleston Trilogy, Waking Up in Charlston centers around the relationship between Amanda and Caleb. A single mom with 3 very rambunctious children she is determined to make it on her own...and definitely won't accept help from her father who disowned her after she married a man he didn't approve of.
Caleb is struggling with his own demons as well as his feelings for her and to top it all off is trying to bring father and daughter together.

I think this is probably th
Mary Jo
AUDIO. Easy listening. Blessedly abridged.
Megann Zeigler
Jan 08, 2015 Megann Zeigler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say big fan of Sherryl's work
Mar 05, 2012 Kaetrin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Really enjoyed the narration by Tanya Eby. My problems were all with the story. I reviewed this one for AAR too. Tanya Eby is a great narrator but this book was too sickly sweet for me and hero reverends aren't my favourite. The narration was enough to keep me listening but it didn't make the book an overall enjoyable experience. Too sweet, too many misunderstandings and secrets and they took too long to be revealed. It was a very frustrating listen. Also, THERE WAS NO SEX. Too much sugar needs ...more
Jun 11, 2016 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy romantic read. A little bit of intrigue on what happens to some of the characters, who are all likeable.
this was not my favorite; the kids who played such a big role in the beginning of the book all but disappear in the 2nd half and storyline with Amanda's mother was a little hard to swallow. It was sad with the illness aspect and Amanda's history of estrangement with her father. This wasn't fun and light hearted - it felt overly heavy with all sorts of tragedy - gun violence, racism, alzheimers and teenage pregnancy....meh I want a fun romance
Michelle Kreder crooks
Entertaining but predictable.
Stephanie Tracy
Feb 26, 2012 Stephanie Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, cute romance, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite one of Sherryl Woods' books. There was a bit of a depressing aspect to this story, and it wasn't quite as light-hearted as I'm used to. But I still enjoyed it and thought that, as always, Sherryl Woods' character descriptions and development was wonderful, and I really felt like I knew all of the characters personally. A good read!
Feb 23, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a horrible thing Big Max did to Amanda. Then for her to come back and regain some of what she had with him, only finding out that he was sick and basically losing it, is even more sad. Then to throw in that her mom didnt really die, that she walked out on her really made it worse. The poor girl had been thru so much in her life, thankfully she found a wonderful man in Caleb.
May 20, 2010 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, sherryl-woods
I liked the relationship aspect of this book, but I had a little trouble with the father Big Max. I don't want to go into too many details, but I didn't like the plotline that was chosen for him. I also didn't find it believable. It just kind of made the whole story a little depressing. I don't read these books to be depressed, I read them to smile a bit and be happy.
Jun 06, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first two books in this series were so good I was looking forward to this one. It was redundant! The author as in the other two books used the same 3 words to describe emotions and the way people talked I wanted to scream. I also didn't like the twist in the plot about the mother that was stupid and I didn't enjoy the banter between the 2 main characters.
Nana Kitteh
Oct 23, 2013 Nana Kitteh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Couldn't finish this book. The basic premise is about a woman who has been holding a grudge against her father for 30 years and it just isn't very believable. The pastor who she likes (not necessarily loves) is trying to reconcile them, but they are both very stubborn. I got to the surprise ending part and it still seems pretty implausible. Meh.
Rionna Morgan
May 14, 2012 Rionna Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I am not always certain when I try out a new author. I've read Sherryl Woods previously and was impressed, but I think sometimes my age plays a role in whether I relate to a character or not. The heroine in this story is very relate-able for me. I really root for her. Great story!! Great job, Sherryl. :)
  • The Unexpected Husband: Jury of His Peers / Any Sunday
  • Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3)
  • Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • Catch of a Lifetime (Cricket Creek, #2)
  • Hummingbird Lake (Eternity Springs, #2)
  • Sunset Bay
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...

The Charleston Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Backup Plan (The Charleston Trilogy, #1)
  • Flirting with Disaster (The Charleston Trilogy, #2)

“Woods brings a deft touch to untangling very complicated family ties! The moment Amanda defied her rich and powerful father to marry Bobby O’Leary, Big Max disowned her. Even now, with Bobby dead and Amanda mired in debt, he refuses to forgive her. But Caleb, the new man in Amanda’s life, is determined to mend fences between” 0 likes