The Detachment (John Rain, #7)

The Detachment (John Rain #7)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,474 ratings  ·  250 reviews
John Rain is back. And ?the most charismatic assassin since James Bond? (San Francisco Chronicle) is up against his most formidable enemy yet: the nexus of political, military, media, and corporate factions known only as the Oligarchy. When legendary black ops veteran Colonel Scott ?Hort? Horton tracks Rain down in Tokyo, Rain can't resist the offer: a multi-million dollar...more
Published (first published September 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Detachment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detachment

James Thane
After a four-year absence, assassin John Rain returns in The Detachment. Of late, Rain has been living quietly under the radar in Tokyo, visiting his favorite jazz clubs, coffee shops and whiskey bars, but he remains ever-vigilant and one night, while training at his local daidojo, he notices two Americans who seem strangely out of place. When he sees them a second time, he knows that he has fallen into someone's crosshairs.

That someone turns out to be Col Scott Horton, head of a secret military...more
Barry Eisler
Sep 19, 2011 Barry Eisler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I thought this book was excellent. :)
Simeon
If you're new to John Rain, you don't need to read the older novels to enjoy this one, though it helps with returning characters. It's brilliant, realistic, and relevant. Eisler is a master of tension who takes great care in building subtle, memorable characters, through multiple perspectives, battles of will, a transformative killer's conscience, and so on. Superb spy thriller.

If you want details: four of the most dangerous badasses form a detachment. And then the the mayhem begins.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah baby. It's love. Once I got past the preliminaries this was can't-put-it-down good for me. The end was a little too pedestrian, but the story still has enough going for it that I want to give it five stars.

This is a hybrid, a sort of harmonic convergence of characters from two series, although they don't always converge most harmonically. John Rain and his buddy Dox team up with Ben Treven and Larison at the behest of Colonel Horton, who offers them a pay-off they can't turn down.
The dyna...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
This is a major page turner for me, tough I saw plot twists coming a long way off. The thought of false flag attacks on American soil, troubles me-it could happen. These men, though you come to like them, are all trained assassins. They have done very bad things, and now they are brought together, to open the flood gates of despair on the US. Gee they thought they were preventing it by killing a few men. Character development was very good. I enjoyed it, even though it out of sequence with the R...more
Mark Chisnell
I first became aware of Barry Eisler after the controversy surrounding his decision to turn down a serious amount of money from a traditional publisher, in favour of bringing the books out himself. Subsequently, he accepted a deal with one of Amazon’s publishing imprints, and hasn’t looked back. Meanwhile, I became a fan of his blog; his writing on book marketing, the publishing industry and politics is always engaging, entertaining and usually right on the money.

I’m not sure why it has taken me...more
Kaje Harper
Barry Eisler manages a difficult challenge in his "Rain" books, almost like keeping a knife balanced on its edge. His MC, John Rain, is an assassin. And although Rain has his limits (no women, no children) he is a brutal and cold killer. As the book opens, he casually kills two men for the sin of following him and representing a potential threat. No questions, no investigation of who they might work for, just snap - dead. And yet I like Rain and he remains a sympathetic character. That's skillfu...more
Giovanni Gelati
I am a huge of Barry Eisler’s work, I make no bones about it, and so I am going to keep it short. In this novel he tackles many things, melding the thoughts and feelings of four different killers, four different Alpha males, four totally different viewpoints and even more agendas in this novel and he does it seamlessly. The read is taunt, moving and intense. It was hard to separate myself from the read until I finished it.
I was fortunate enough to interview Barry Eisler on my blogtalk radio sho...more
Mihir

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERALL RATING = 4 & 1/2 Stars

ANALYSIS: The Detachment is Barry Eisler’s ninth book and the first one to combine both his previous book characters. When the book was announced, it was also announced by the author’s move to the Indie side of publishing. This alone precipitated a heady mix of discussion and still is. For me while his move was intriguing from the business point of view as explained in his interview, it was more exciting to return to...more
Will Wittmann
Another great book in the Rain series, and an enjoyable read. That being said i found this book to be a bit of a let down compared to the last three books. My complaints are that this book seemed to be a bit preachy, and while i enjoy politcal thrillers/assassins (i.e. Mitch Rapp)this seemed more like Eisler wrote the book to make a point. Also this book lacked that classic John Rain rampage moment that has become his trademark.

IMO this is in the bottom 2 or 3 books of the series
Wanda
I love Eisler's novels. You just fall into them and don't ever want to come up for air. They always end too soon.

John Rain and Dox have a unique and not entirely easy partnership, at least from Rain's Point of View. Partnerships are not the norm for these operatives, but in "The Detachment" the partnership with Larison, Trevan, Dox and Rain is an entirely new experience for all of them. At one point Rain thinks, "I ever work with a team again, just kill me, and then had to stifle a crazy laugh b...more
David Bergsland
I just read this book I'm ashamed to say. Worse, I enjoyed it. I got into it and wanted to see what happened to the characters.

But the characters were four amoral, slightly conflicted, beasts of men with enough humor and compassion so you could vaguely hope that they would finally make a right decision in their sorry lives. They were made slightly appealing by the fact that their governmental bosses were nastier and had less character than they did.

Supposedly the person who hired them was saving...more
Rabid Readers Reviews
“The Detachment” by Barry Eisler is the first John Rain book since 2007 and seventh book in the series.

Eisler brings together the Ben Treven series (“Fault Line” and “ Inside Out”) with John Rain in this masterpiece of political maneuvering and manipulation. Treven and Larison are asked by Colonel Scott Horton (of the Treven series) to track Rain and Dox down so that the two pairs can team up to make some necessary “adjustments” to the current administration who are out to terrorize the America...more
Scott
Barry Eisler knows how to write spooks. First with the John Rain series and again with the Ben Treven books, Eisler proves that he is a master at describing the crazy world of the assassin. Surveillance and counter-surveillance, the logistics of travel, and the loneliness of being a lone wolf could be sheer tedium in the hands of a hack writer, but Eisler never fails to write exciting yet grounded scenes.

In "The Detachment," Eisler brings together his four favorite anti-heroes in a book reminisc...more
Harry
All right, so I appear to be hunting for a specific character: from Jack Reacher (Lee Child), to Jonathan Quinn (Brett Battles), onto John Rain (Barry Eisler). From ex military, to cleaner, to assassin.

How do we as readers gain empathy for a killer? Simple enough, join John Rain in his voyage from assassin for hire to conscientious killer (kill bad guys) to wanting to get out of the business...but unwilling to leave his perspective of the world (no worries, this transformation takes place acros...more
Norm

I met Barry Eisler at a Mystery Writers convention some years ago, but hadn't read any of his books at the time. Soon after, I checked out his John Rain books, and spent a frenzied month catching up and loving them.

The Detachment, for me, was as much about the political insight as it was the typical pacing and physical action. I think Eisler nailed what actually might be going on behind the political scenes, cleverly wrapped in a compelling action package. Our country is clearly run by defense l...more
D. S. Kane
The Detachment, by Barry Eisler
The Detachment is one of Barry Eisler’s best stories. It has so many good things going for it. First, it brings back John Rain and Dox. Second, the readers will have a very tough time figuring out whether the bad guys are truly the bad guys, or just misguided good guys. The mission of the misfits who are trying to save the world is almost hopeless and very real. The interplay between the good guys is deadly. One couldn’t hope for more in a terrific read.
Barry Eisle...more
Skip
OK, I admit it: I am a huge fan of John Rain and Dox. I like these characters developed by Barry Eisler. In the newest John Rain novel, he brings in Ben Treven, Hort, and Larison from his other two novels. They are hired to stop a governmental plan of staging domestic attacks in order to precipitate the suspension of American civil liberties by the President and his anti-terror team, and the four assasins are not sure whether their kills are promoting chaos or freedom. Hort remains the master ma...more
Will Davidson
This was the first book I had read by this author, bought on a whim on the Kindle because it was on offer. As someone who enjoys a fairly chunky thriller (Ludlum/Forsyth/Cussler) I have to say that I found the pace of this really fresh and engaging. There was enough back story scattered around that I didn't find it too inaccessible despite not having read any of the earlier stories in which the main protagonists seemed to have featured, but it didn't slow anything down.

I found the use of multipl...more
Dan Downing
One gets a distinct feeling that this was written both as an entertaining novel---which it certainly is---and as a cautionary tale, which it also certainly is. Many might find the premise involved improbable when blandly stated, but when set in such a detailed story of assignation, assassination, mayhem and double dealing politics, the goal of the fiends becomes more plausible by the page. Add the articles in the Sources section, and we all should be on notice.
For those unfamiliar with John Rain...more
Dan
I’ve read all the John Rain stories and this one falls flat. This is a departure from the character somewhat. Known to be an assassin who works alone, here he is part of a team out to get rid of three ‘targets’. I did like. I also didn’t like the interjection of Eisler’s personal political views. I read for enjoyment, not for a lesson. This is my least favorite of all his books.
John Onoda

Author Barry Eisler’s new thriller brings together characters from his past thrillers in a fast-moving, complicated, and satisfying story about four professional assassins tricked into a mission together that ends up with them on the U.S. President’s “kill list,” running for their lives, fighting off government agents while trying to foil a staged terrorist attack that will make Columbine and Newton seem like picnics.

Into this plot the author weaves in his concerns about civil liberties, the ru...more
Richard
The best one yet, I love the way he wove the past characters together. Dox deserves his own series, I love that guy.. The John Rain series never disappoints and this book was no exception. I am patiently awaiting the next installment. If you have never read Eisler, you are missing a guilty pleasure in life... Keep up the good work Barry!
Gordon
Good solid read, bit lost because have not read Inside out/Fault line but detachment puts together Barry Eisler's previous protaginists in one big story Political thriller. Dox is going to steal the headlines as he is fast becoming the main character, only has to come up with some natural deaths of his own and Rain can retire?
Jeanne
Why isn't Barry Eisler on the best seller lists? It isn't just anybody who can make you root for a group of assassins, but Eisler does it. This was a great book and would make a wonderful movie. Non-stop action made it difficult to put this book down. I can't wait to read more.
Carol
WOW - John Rain and Dox together again - what fun! The Detachment is the best so far in the John Rain series, with the action we crave along with political intrigue. No absence of plot here...the story fairly races along and is absolutely unputdownable. The ending was a tiny bit anti-climatic, but believable in a scary way. Eisler is the best at this stuff, I think. I just ordered the next one for my Kindle and found out it was just written this year! And...it is not in chronological order, but...more
Brian Rueger
I am no book reviewer - I just know what I like.

This is Eisler's best in the John Rain series.

Awesome plot - a little bit difficult to follow, but everything becomes clear in the end.

This would be an awesome movie, if it followed the book.
Karihawrylkiw
I understand now why I didn't hear about this newest Rain from my local mystery store. Eisler has left the building and his clone has returned wearing a foil hat. It would be good escapism if Eisler did not believe his theories to be true.
Temple Dog
Okay, Eisler did it again; Detachment is a fine piece of work.

I must confess, I came to this installment in the Rain series kicking and screaming. Partly, because I know that of the “written” works, I am drawing close to the end. And, I was not thrilled with Eisler’s expansion of characters.

I’ve grown accustomed to Dox and Kanezaki, but the introduction of Larison and Treven was somewhat of a pill. Larison and Treven were both hard characters to like or even empathize with and at the conclusion...more
Loretta Giacoletto
Although I’ve read several John Rain books, they weren't in any particular order and other than Rain, I did not recall the recurring characters in this particular book. Not a problem—Barry Eisler captured my attention from the first page to the last. And with other Rain books, The Detachment is not geared to the squeamish. There is plenty of violence minus the gory details, plenty of intrigue minus the obvious foreshadowing. But it’s the character development that I found most fascinating—what d...more
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • The Perfect Assassin (David Slayton, #1)
  • Ballistic (Court Gentry, #3)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • The Next President
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Eleven (The Brandon Fisher FBI Series, #1)
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • Kind of Blue
  • Hunter (Dylan Hunter #1)
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
Barry Eisler spent three years in a covert position with the CIA's Directorate of Operations, then worked as a technology lawyer and startup executive in Silicon Valley and Japan, earning his black belt at the Kodokan International Judo Center along the way. Eisler's bestselling thrillers have won the Barry Award and the Gumshoe Award for Best Thriller of the Year, have been included in numerous "...more
More about Barry Eisler...
A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain, #1) A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain, #2) Redemption Games (John Rain, #4) Extremis (John Rain, #5) Winner Take All (John Rain, #3)