Start by marking “The Detachment (John Rain, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Detachment (John Rain, #7)

The Detachment (John Rain #7)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,983 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
John Rain is back. And “the most charismatic assassin since James Bond” (San Francisco Chronicle) is up against his most formidable enemy yet: the nexus of political, military, media, and corporate factions known only as the Oligarchy.

When legendary black ops veteran Colonel Scott “Hort” Horton tracks Rain down in Tokyo, Rain can’t resist the offer: a multi-million dollar
Published (first published October 18th 2011)

Andrew Smith
Sometimes a series can go on too long. Maybe the author runs out of ideas, having exhausted every possible nuance of character and all plausible plot configurations. Such may be the case here with self employed hit-man John Rain. It’s the seventh book in the series and so I guess it’s excusable…well, to some extent. What’s not so acceptable is for the author to come up with a plot so inplausible that it beggars belief and a narrative that explores no previously hidden aspects of our anti-hero’s ...more
Barry Eisler
Sep 19, 2011 Barry Eisler rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I thought this book was excellent. :)
James Thane
After a four-year absence, assassin John Rain returns in The Detachment. Of late, Rain has been living quietly under the radar in Tokyo, visiting his favorite jazz clubs, coffee shops and whiskey bars, but he remains ever-vigilant and one night, while training at his local daidojo, he notices two Americans who seem strangely out of place. When he sees them a second time, he knows that he has fallen into someone's crosshairs.

That someone turns out to be Col Scott Horton, head of a secret military
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah baby. It's love. Once I got past the preliminaries this was can't-put-it-down good for me. The end was a little too pedestrian, but the story still has enough going for it that I want to give it five stars.

This is a hybrid, a sort of harmonic convergence of characters from two series, although they don't always converge most harmonically. John Rain and his buddy Dox team up with Ben Treven and Larison at the behest of Colonel Horton, who offers them a pay-off they can't turn down.
The dyna
Simeon
Nov 01, 2011 Simeon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're new to John Rain, you don't need to read the older novels to enjoy this one, though it helps with returning characters. It's brilliant, realistic, and relevant. Eisler is a master of tension who takes great care in building subtle, memorable characters, through multiple perspectives, battles of will, a transformative killer's conscience, and so on. Superb spy thriller.

If you want details: four of the most dangerous badasses form a detachment. And then the the mayhem begins.
Noran Miss Pumkin
This is a major page turner for me, tough I saw plot twists coming a long way off. The thought of false flag attacks on American soil, troubles me-it could happen. These men, though you come to like them, are all trained assassins. They have done very bad things, and now they are brought together, to open the flood gates of despair on the US. Gee they thought they were preventing it by killing a few men. Character development was very good. I enjoyed it, even though it out of sequence with the R ...more
Mark Chisnell
Mar 12, 2013 Mark Chisnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first became aware of Barry Eisler after the controversy surrounding his decision to turn down a serious amount of money from a traditional publisher, in favour of bringing the books out himself. Subsequently, he accepted a deal with one of Amazon’s publishing imprints, and hasn’t looked back. Meanwhile, I became a fan of his blog; his writing on book marketing, the publishing industry and politics is always engaging, entertaining and usually right on the money.

I’m not sure why it has taken me
Kaje Harper
Aug 07, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barry Eisler manages a difficult challenge in his "Rain" books, almost like keeping a knife balanced on its edge. His MC, John Rain, is an assassin. And although Rain has his limits (no women, no children) he is a brutal and cold killer. As the book opens, he casually kills two men for the sin of following him and representing a potential threat. No questions, no investigation of who they might work for, just snap - dead. And yet I like Rain and he remains a sympathetic character. That's skillfu ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Sep 27, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge of Barry Eisler’s work, I make no bones about it, and so I am going to keep it short. In this novel he tackles many things, melding the thoughts and feelings of four different killers, four different Alpha males, four totally different viewpoints and even more agendas in this novel and he does it seamlessly. The read is taunt, moving and intense. It was hard to separate myself from the read until I finished it.
I was fortunate enough to interview Barry Eisler on my blogtalk radio sho
Mihir
Oct 12, 2012 Mihir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERALL RATING = 4 & 1/2 Stars

ANALYSIS: The Detachment is Barry Eisler’s ninth book and the first one to combine both his previous book characters. When the book was announced, it was also announced by the author’s move to the Indie side of publishing. This alone precipitated a heady mix of discussion and still is. For me while his move was intriguing from the business point of view as explained in his interview, it was more exciting to return to
Skip
Nov 27, 2011 Skip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
OK, I admit it: I am a huge fan of John Rain and Dox. I like these characters developed by Barry Eisler. In the newest John Rain novel, he brings in Ben Treven, Hort, and Larison from his other two novels. They are hired to stop a governmental plan of staging domestic attacks in order to precipitate the suspension of American civil liberties by the President and his anti-terror team, and the four assasins are not sure whether their kills are promoting chaos or freedom. Hort remains the master ma ...more
Dave Hay
Oct 09, 2015 Dave Hay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Rain with friends
Will Wittmann
Another great book in the Rain series, and an enjoyable read. That being said i found this book to be a bit of a let down compared to the last three books. My complaints are that this book seemed to be a bit preachy, and while i enjoy politcal thrillers/assassins (i.e. Mitch Rapp)this seemed more like Eisler wrote the book to make a point. Also this book lacked that classic John Rain rampage moment that has become his trademark.

IMO this is in the bottom 2 or 3 books of the series
Wanda
Sep 19, 2011 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Eisler's novels. You just fall into them and don't ever want to come up for air. They always end too soon.

John Rain and Dox have a unique and not entirely easy partnership, at least from Rain's Point of View. Partnerships are not the norm for these operatives, but in "The Detachment" the partnership with Larison, Trevan, Dox and Rain is an entirely new experience for all of them. At one point Rain thinks, "I ever work with a team again, just kill me, and then had to stifle a crazy laugh b
David Bergsland
I just read this book I'm ashamed to say. Worse, I enjoyed it. I got into it and wanted to see what happened to the characters.

But the characters were four amoral, slightly conflicted, beasts of men with enough humor and compassion so you could vaguely hope that they would finally make a right decision in their sorry lives. They were made slightly appealing by the fact that their governmental bosses were nastier and had less character than they did.

Supposedly the person who hired them was saving
Rabid Readers Reviews
“The Detachment” by Barry Eisler is the first John Rain book since 2007 and seventh book in the series.

Eisler brings together the Ben Treven series (“Fault Line” and “ Inside Out”) with John Rain in this masterpiece of political maneuvering and manipulation. Treven and Larison are asked by Colonel Scott Horton (of the Treven series) to track Rain and Dox down so that the two pairs can team up to make some necessary “adjustments” to the current administration who are out to terrorize the America
Scott
Barry Eisler knows how to write spooks. First with the John Rain series and again with the Ben Treven books, Eisler proves that he is a master at describing the crazy world of the assassin. Surveillance and counter-surveillance, the logistics of travel, and the loneliness of being a lone wolf could be sheer tedium in the hands of a hack writer, but Eisler never fails to write exciting yet grounded scenes.

In "The Detachment," Eisler brings together his four favorite anti-heroes in a book reminisc
Harry
All right, so I appear to be hunting for a specific character: from Jack Reacher (Lee Child), to Jonathan Quinn (Brett Battles), onto John Rain (Barry Eisler). From ex military, to cleaner, to assassin.

How do we as readers gain empathy for a killer? Simple enough, join John Rain in his voyage from assassin for hire to conscientious killer (kill bad guys) to wanting to get out of the business...but unwilling to leave his perspective of the world (no worries, this transformation takes place acros
Norm
Nov 30, 2011 Norm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I met Barry Eisler at a Mystery Writers convention some years ago, but hadn't read any of his books at the time. Soon after, I checked out his John Rain books, and spent a frenzied month catching up and loving them.

The Detachment, for me, was as much about the political insight as it was the typical pacing and physical action. I think Eisler nailed what actually might be going on behind the political scenes, cleverly wrapped in a compelling action package. Our country is clearly run by defense l
D. S. Kane
Oct 03, 2011 D. S. Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Detachment, by Barry Eisler
The Detachment is one of Barry Eisler’s best stories. It has so many good things going for it. First, it brings back John Rain and Dox. Second, the readers will have a very tough time figuring out whether the bad guys are truly the bad guys, or just misguided good guys. The mission of the misfits who are trying to save the world is almost hopeless and very real. The interplay between the good guys is deadly. One couldn’t hope for more in a terrific read.
Barry Eisle
Ben English
Nov 13, 2015 Ben English rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book on my birthday, as a present to myself. Great gift!

Barry's best-crafted book thus far--tightly plotted, lyrical, and more upbeat than his first Rain books. It was great to see the team come together, to see them stronger than the individual sum of their parts. Dox was almost a little over-the-top goofy at times, but this balanced out the grim, almost bleak characterizations common to the Rain series (Larison's character, in particular).

Bits I loved, as a fan (possible SPOILER
TJ Creamer
Mar 21, 2015 TJ Creamer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed Tom Wood's series with Victor, that I went looking for another to feed my fix/need.

I stumbled across Barry Eisler and have read the entire 8-book series. And was very pleased. As such, this is the same review for all 8 books.

The author reads his own work, and after listening to Tom Wood's series with Rob Shapiro as the wonderful narrator, this took me a while to adapt to the reading style.

But don't let that dissuade you. Barry Eisler does a really really fine job of narrating, and y
Patrick Sherriff
Jan 11, 2015 Patrick Sherriff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: japan
I finished Barry Eisler's The Detachment. And here's a half-ass review because I've gotta save my creative juice for finishing my own novel - Half-Life: A Hana Walker Mystery. Guess you are not supposed to do book reviews as numbered bullet points, but I'm in a hurry, and, er, bullets seem apt for the continuing adventures of a half-Japanese, half-American assassin, John Rain (smooth, like whacha did there - ed.)

1. It's a page-turner.
2. Plenty of twists to keep ya guessing. And character arcs. A
Will Davidson
Mar 10, 2014 Will Davidson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I had read by this author, bought on a whim on the Kindle because it was on offer. As someone who enjoys a fairly chunky thriller (Ludlum/Forsyth/Cussler) I have to say that I found the pace of this really fresh and engaging. There was enough back story scattered around that I didn't find it too inaccessible despite not having read any of the earlier stories in which the main protagonists seemed to have featured, but it didn't slow anything down.

I found the use of multipl
Kaijsa
Mar 08, 2016 Kaijsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
John Rain #7 is definitely the weakest installment in the series, and I don't think it's fair to also count it as Ben Treven #3, as I've sometimes seen it called. Rain is clearly the protagonist, and it's in his first-person perspective like the earlier books in his series. Treven and Larison are here, as is Dox, but they are definitely supporting characters. The story is half creepily true to life, and half completely ridiculous. When Kanezaki was based out of Tokyo, I could buy him being able ...more
Dan Downing
Jun 17, 2014 Dan Downing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One gets a distinct feeling that this was written both as an entertaining novel---which it certainly is---and as a cautionary tale, which it also certainly is. Many might find the premise involved improbable when blandly stated, but when set in such a detailed story of assignation, assassination, mayhem and double dealing politics, the goal of the fiends becomes more plausible by the page. Add the articles in the Sources section, and we all should be on notice.
For those unfamiliar with John Rain
John Devlin
This book is escapist blarney. The ultra tough guys who can kill multiples with an eye blink. Rain kills two men with his bare hands without breaking a sweat. The plot is ludicrous with a mix of paranoia, ruthless acumen, and total foolishness. The suspension of disbelief has to be taken to the plateau of Everest to work.

That said, there's a damn fine scene with 4 hardened assassins, a hotel room, some personal secrets, and the desire to trust. The fraternal bonding had me grinning, sucking me i
Dan
Dec 25, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read all the John Rain stories and this one falls flat. This is a departure from the character somewhat. Known to be an assassin who works alone, here he is part of a team out to get rid of three ‘targets’. I did like. I also didn’t like the interjection of Eisler’s personal political views. I read for enjoyment, not for a lesson. This is my least favorite of all his books.
Richard
Sep 22, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best one yet, I love the way he wove the past characters together. Dox deserves his own series, I love that guy.. The John Rain series never disappoints and this book was no exception. I am patiently awaiting the next installment. If you have never read Eisler, you are missing a guilty pleasure in life... Keep up the good work Barry!
Gordon
Feb 27, 2012 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid read, bit lost because have not read Inside out/Fault line but detachment puts together Barry Eisler's previous protaginists in one big story Political thriller. Dox is going to steal the headlines as he is fast becoming the main character, only has to come up with some natural deaths of his own and Rain can retire?
Book or Audiobook...or both? 1 5 Sep 05, 2014 11:17AM
  • Dark Men (Silver Bear, #3)
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • The Next President
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • The Perfect Assassin (David Slaton, #1)
  • Hunter (Dylan Hunter #1)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • Kind of Blue
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • PRIMAL Origin (PRIMAL, #1)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • The Naked Edge (Cavanaugh #2)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
Barry Eisler spent three years in a covert position with the CIA's Directorate of Operations, then worked as a technology lawyer and startup executive in Silicon Valley and Japan, earning his black belt at the Kodokan International Judo Center along the way. Eisler's bestselling thrillers have won the Barry Award and the Gumshoe Award for Best Thriller of the Year, have been included in numerous " ...more
More about Barry Eisler...

John Rain (8 books)
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain, #1)
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain, #2)
  • Winner Take All (John Rain, #3)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)

“The hawk with talent hides its talons.” 0 likes