Sinister Sprinkles

Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  973 ratings  ·  75 reviews

“If you like donuts—and who doesn’t?—you’ll love this mystery series.”—Leslie MeierSuzanne co...more
Published November 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 20th 2010)

Melodie
Very surprised with this one! I didn't care for the first one in this series much at all and thought the 2nd was only marginally better. I would have never read this one, but it was given to me. I actually liked it! Suzanne wasn't as abrasive as she was in the previous books and the story wasn't bad either. I grade on a 1-10 scale and this is a solid 7.5, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and giving it the full 4 stars here in Goodreads.
Caroline
Okay. Some folks aren't too thrilled with this series but I like it. It's realistic in that Suzanne has some problems with her mom but really loves her all the same. (I felt the same way about my mom) And I love the relationship between her and her best friend, I love the snow, and I love the relationship between Suzanne and Emma. I thought it was a very good book and a lot of fun to read. Just relax and enjoy it. : )
Kodi Bryant
I did a little research on the author of this book, which I don't normally do, but something got me interested. I have an inquiry on my blog on whether Jessica Beck is really Joaane Fluke, author of the Hannah Swensen series. Now, I have compared these two quite a bit in my previous posts and it got me thinking, could it be true. I discovered that Jessica Beck really is a pen name, the books that come out from her are spaced in between Joanne Flukes books and the artwork is also very similar. I...more
Kate
I wasn't crazy about the first two books in this series, but for some reason I continued on. I have to say I'm glad I did! The author has hit her stride and as a result this book is really GOOD! The characters are really growing and developing, the donut shop is coming to life for me, and the dialogue is less akward (although it still bothers me when Suzanne chastizes people, from her best friend and her mother right down to her co-worker's father). As an added bonus this book takes place during...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I wasn't much of a fan of the first two, but this one was a bit better. Something about the characters though; I have a hard time really caring about them, as they all feel a bit flat to me. Perhaps a bit formal and earnest to me for a cozy mystery. I probably wouldn't have continued with this series at all except that I bought this one and the next one at closeout prices and this one was a fit for a reading challenge. However, it's a good mystery with lots of suspects and I didn't guess the mur...more
BJ
Not a bad series as cozies go. Cozies just aren't my favorite genre, as I find myself yelling at the main characters to "mind their own business and let the police handle it." This series takes place in the fictional North Carolina town of April Springs and involves a Donut Store owner/operator, Suzanne. Other characters include Suzanne's Mom, best friend Grace, ex-husband Max, on and off boyfriend Jake, co-worker in the donut shop Emma and various small-town residents and business owners. In th...more
Alicia Jespersen(orangepeacock313)
I found "Sinister Sprinkles" to be a very enjoyable read. I'm very glad to be able to say that about the third book in the Donut Shop Mystery series. Especially since I found the second book to be rather irritating.

I didn't have any clue on who the murder was, it was definitely a well guarded secret. I don't know if it was the winter feeling or the further progression of Suzanne's relationship with Jake but I absolutely loved this cozy mystery. There was a lot of intrigue and rumors that made m...more
Heather
Title: Sinister Sprinkles

Author: Jessica Beck

Series: Donut Shop Mystery #3

ISBN: 9780312946128

Synopsis (from bn.com): Just in time for the Winter Festival, a glistening layer of snow has covered the streets of April Springs, North Carolina. Of course, it reminds donut shop owner Suzanne Hart of sweet delicious frosting. But her visions of sugar plums plummet when her ex’s ex-girlfriend gets iced …

My thoughts: Suzanne Hart, owner of Donut Hearts, and her best friend Grace are back in action in thi...more
Michelle
The third book in the Donut Shop cozy mystery series starts off at the town's winter festival. Suzanne is shocked when someone is murdered with a candy cane lawn ornament. When it turns out that the person murdered was in disguise and was actually the woman with whom her ex-husband cheated on her, Suzanne falls under some suspicion, as does her ex, Max. Snowy weather puts some challenges into her investigation to clear their names, as do some relationship woes. While Suzanne and her best friend...more
Annamarie
This is the third installment of the Donut Shop Mystery Series; here we follow Suzanne Hart owner of Donut Hearts where the tastiest treats in town are created. The book opens in the winter wonderland that takes over April Springs North Carolina during the Winter Festival. All is well, everyone having a good time when the crisp winter air is interrupted by a chilling murder in front of Town Hall. Darlene Higgins has been found dead with a plastic candy cane stuck in her chest. With some hesitati...more
Jessi
A set of mysteries in a doughnut shop. Hmmmm... this could be interesting.
If you like cozies in general, I think you'll like this book. Suzanne Hart has been involved in two other mysteries (I'm guessing, since this is book three, see, I can deduce things too). These activities have not endeared her to the local police chief. So when there's a murder at the town's Winter Carnival, he's not happy that Suzanne is on his list of suspects.
See, the murder victim is the woman Suzanne found her husband...more
David Caldwell
The third book in the series.The series continues to grow stronger with each book.Another strong mystery that was well thought out and investigated in a logical manner.The characters continue to develop as well.

I am not sure how the sherriff keeps his job.In my part of North Carolina(not too far from where April Springs is described as being),a sherriff that treated everyone as a guilty felon would not be re-elected.It is easy to see why so many people don't coopearte with him.

I really like that...more
Text Addict
Not bad, not brilliant. Even for a cozy mystery, I feel like it has a remarkably small cast of characters, and most of the action seems to take place in a three-block area of a miniscule North Carolina town. On the other hand, it has a reasonably likeable (if surprisingly socially isolated) heroine, and the question of who killed the victim - in broad daylight, no less - had several equally viable answers.

Even though this is the third volume, and I haven't read the first two, I was able to foll...more
Susan
Donut store owner, and chief fryer Suzanne Hart is shocked when a body is found at the local Winter Festival. She's outraged when her ex-husband becomes a suspect, and there are no words strong enough to express her feelings when the local police chief seems to suspect her as well. As though that isn't bad enough, her boyfriend wants to break up with her, and it keeps snowing. A White Christmas is all very well and good, but this is North Carolina--they shouldn't have snow like this! Unfortunate...more
Cat
LIKES: Just like the others in the series, this is a very light, easy read. I like the setting of this series, and the characters have good personalities. The book itself didn't require much thinking, and I was (somewhat) surprised when I found out "who done it".

NOT SO MUCH: I wish the author would tie up some of the loose ends that are made throughout the book. Also, she tends to reference things later that didn't happen within the pages. Maybe some of this will come together in later books? I...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
While joining in a winter festival a woman gets stabbed. Who, what and Why? Well, with an author as skilled as Ms. Beck, you can be sure you will guess incorrectly.

Poor Suzanne, a gentle donut shop owner gets mired within the mystery due to the fact that her ex has a possible connection to the corpse.

With recipes to make your tummy growl, the mystery gets more cloudy and why is it Grace, Suzanne's best friend is acting so mysteriously?

There are many layers to this book and I've decided that th...more
Connie
Boy, does Suz get herself into the biggest messes or what?!
In this one we aren't even sure at the beginning if the victim was even the intended target or not. There are a bunch of people that think they're next that go into hiding and it gets pretty comical throughout. I'm sure glad that Suzanne has friends that help her out or she really wouldn't survive at all! :) At the end, there are a few issues that get resolved, but I did shed some tears...good ones. I can't wait to read the next one and...more
Amelia-Irene
This is the third book in the Donut Shop series. This story opens with a scream of discovery, and keeps on going. It keeps you on your toes to figure out who the murderer is and even then you'll be guessng. There are lots of references to the first books and fortunately there is a map in the first pages, so you get more of an idea of the layout of the town. Relationships need to be kept in mind in this one as to who's going with or knows who. Curl up with your cup of tea and your back to a wall...more
Jeanne Stephens
I like this series a lot. It reminds me a lot of Joanne Fluke's books. So in a way when you read this series you have two mysteries. One is the actual story and the other is, "Who is Jessica Beck?" I don't know if I subscribe to the theories that Joanne Fluke is Jessica Beck or not, but I enjoy both series. In this book, Suzanne breaks up with her boyfriend right before Christmas, only to find out she has to save her ex-husband from being charged with murder. I enjoyed the descriptions of the sn...more
Fmorlan
Snow and holidays are being celebrayed in April Springs, NC. The winter carnival in full swing when a body ends up face down in the snow. Suzanne Hart in the midst of this event is also dealing with an ex husband Max, break-ins at her friend Grace's house and the loss of a new love. She is intent on finding the murderer while working through the other issues in her life during a very bad snow storm. She is resilient throughout.
Penny McGill
This one was not as much fun as former Doughnut Shop Mysteries. There seemed to be way too much angst going on to balance off the murder investigation. Very few high points in this book and, although it took place near December 25th, they actually forgot about celebrating the holiday at all. I'll not give up on Jessica Beck but I won't be tracking down any further Doughnut Shop mysteries for a long time.
Moondance
It is always a joy to read a book set in my home state. Sometimes you can close your eyes and feel like you are in April Springs. Suzanne is once again embroiled in a murder in which her ex is the prime suspect. The snowstorm creates lots of girl time for Suzanne, her mom and Grace. And what the heck is wrong with Jake?! Oh, and yummy recipes. 3.5 stars
Angela
I read this one without realizing that I'd missed the one before but I didn't have a problem. I like this series and the characters. I crave doughnuts evertime I read one of these books! There are recipes included but nothing I've ever been tempted to try. The romance and mystery are both light enough to make these a quick fun read.
Michele
Another very cute installment of the Donut Shop Mysteries. This one focuses around Suzanne's ex husband and the woman he cheated on her with. She is found dead, stabbed to death with a Christmas Candy Cane decoration. I didn't have an idea who it was until the end so this one garners a 4 stars.
Grey853
I dare you to read this and not crave a donut. There are a lot of recipes and talk of making the fatty breakfast delight mixed in with trying to find out who murdered a local woman.

It's all deep-fried fluff, but entertaining enough to make me want to check out the other books in the series.
Pattie Tierney
I liked this book more than I thought I would. I was unfamiliar with this author, but liked the premise of a mystery-solving heroine owning a donut shop so gave it a try. For the most part I liked all of the characters, and the mystery was a good one. I'll read more by this author.
Avigail
Third in the series and once again a pleasure. An easy read with a cast of charchter you will sure to enjoy. Well written comfort book. The truth is that I wish I could have a donut while reading, but I am on a diet so I enjoyed the charachters that ate Suzanne's master donuts.
Erin E
I think I may be officially finished with this series... just not my thing, the characters have not emerged much and continue to be rather one dimensional... I felt a little let down since I had high hopes for this series based on the first two books I read.
Annenz
Just like the first in the series, this is a very light, easy read. I like the setting of this series, and the characters have good personalities. The book itself didn't require much thinking, and I was (somewhat) surprised when I found out "who done it".
Annemarie
Some people like to read harlequin novels to wind down at the end of the day, I like mystery books instead. This book reads like a harlequin book, but instead of romance it's mystery. Nothing special, but great for winding down after a tough day at work.
This is sad!!! 2 37 Jan 29, 2013 07:23AM
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard Mystery, #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery #3)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • Eggsecutive Orders (A White House Chef Mystery, #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery #3)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the...more
More about Jessica Beck...
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery #2) Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4) Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)