Brimstone Angels

Brimstone Angels (Neverwinter Nights #1)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Praise for Erin M. Evans’s first book, The God Catcher:
“Extremely entertaining, The God Catcher was a great surprise for me. Evans' fluent style glues this book in the reader's hands. With an action-packed story and vivid characters, it quickly becomes a page-turner.” –Speculative Book Review

[The story] flowed wonderfully and it was fast paced and exciting. . . . Every sub...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Brimstone Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brimstone Angels

Robert
Disclaimer-If you read the review and feel there is a spoiler in it, please let me know and I will remove that section. Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Brimstone Angels is the second stand-alone novel by Erin M. Evans. Her first is The God Catcher: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep.

Brimstone Angels follows the misadventures of a Tiefling named Farideh who unwittingly makes a pact with a cambion and is exiled out of the village with her twin sister and their foster...more
Kerri
Forgotten Realms can at times be a daunting read. With all the all fantasy and words that aren't typical to the layman's vernacular, it can be an overwhelming experience at times. I am a huge fan of fantasy novels, and had taken a break from my latest tryst with Forgotten Realms (was entirely too emotionally vested to some characters, which left me traumatized at its finish). I had decided to try once more to fall in love with the characters presented to me in this world, and ready myself for he...more
Joe
Brimstone Angels is a new set of characters in the Forgotten Realms world, if you need a break from the other guys for a breather - this story focuses on a pair of twin Tiefling sisters and their Dragonborn mentor / father-figure.

Now, if you have no idea what a Dragonborn or a Tiefling is in the D&D world, then do not read this book, because you will be lost trying to figure out the races in this novel, but if you do know them, then please read on.

The story follow twin sisters, as one becom...more
Brenda Cothern
If you want to know about Tieflings, Devils, & Archdevils in the post spellplague world of D&D, then this is the book to read. I would recommend it to any gamer who is considering playing a Tiefling!
Shane Branson
Man... What a great way to get back into Forgotten Realms. I tried reading Salvatore's Neverwinter book and just couldn't get into it. I gave up for a few years. This novel got my attention right away and really made me wish I had played a tiefling warlock in D&D :)

The two tiefling sisters reminded me of Raistlin and Caramon's bond from the OG Dragonlance novels, and I can't wait to see where this series can take it!

Told from a more feminine voice than I'm used to in fantasy novels I can't...more
Leeanna
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

Usually when I read books set in the Forgotten Realm universe, I pick ones about drow or elves. Mainly drow, because who doesn’t like power-hungry, evil, chaotic baddies? I love ‘em.

Starring a tiefling warlock and her twin, BRIMSTONE ANGELS is outside of what I normally read in the Realms. In fact, I didn’t even know what a tiefling was, because I don’t keep up with the different changes to the tabletop game. I just read the books.

For tho...more
Pedro
This was a very good book. As the first part of Farideh's story, it gives you a good grasp of the characters and their intentions.
The story moves at a very good pace. It presents us with some new races and their cultures, the dragonborn, the tieflings, as well as some new classes, as the warlock. It also gives us a deep insight on the way devils work, their contracts and the "read carefully before signing" facet we all think of when one says bargaining with the devil (this being important regard...more
Silas
This was the first audiobook to which I have listened. There is a Sundering book coming out from this author soon, so I thought I would use a free trial audiobook to learn these characters, so I might read it when it comes out.

I rather enjoyed this book. It focuses on some of the newer types of characters that came out in 4th Edition D&D, and how they work in the Forgotten Realms. If none of that sentence made sense to you, this book is not for you. Assuming it did, this might prove an enjoy...more
Chris Jackson
Aug 13, 2012 Chris Jackson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: D&D fans
Recommended to Chris by: Erin Evans
Another winner by Erin M. Evans! She writes such wonderful characters... I immediately fell in love with the two tiefling girls. She writes seventeen year old girls that sound and act like... well... seventeen year old girls! They are like every pair of twins I have ever known - one out of control who is secretly fragile and one pensive and more thoughtful, but strong underneath.

The plot (no spoilers) is complex and engaging, with just the right amount of serendipity and (holy crap would you loo...more
Larry
From 42webs.com

In May of 1987, with the release of Darkwalker on Moonshae, TSR launched the beginning of Ed Greenwoods mystical world. This realm, a forgotten one, was our introduction to Faerûn. The Forgotten Realms line, the flagship product for the Dungeons & Dragons line, has actively continued since its launch, evolving with each new writer and each new edition.

In August 2008 Forgotten Realms made the change over to Dungeons & Dragon latest release, fourth edition. Much like the eve...more
Travis
Brimstone Angels by Erin M. Evans

Brimstone Angels is a stand-alone novel set in the Forgotten Realms universe of Dungeons and Dragons. However, the novel does tie into R. A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Trilogy, along with having ties to other events in various recent series set in the Forgotten Realms. The novel will also tie into an upcoming Massively Multiplayer Online game that will be set in Neverwinter. Erin M. Evans has written a novel for the series Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep titled The...more
Matt Thias
Firstly, This book is going to be less accessible to readers familiar with most Forgotten Realms novels. Once again Miss Evans creates a number of dynamic, complicated, realistic characters who are revealed piece by piece throughout the story. None of the characters are the kind of flat warriors and archers you might expect from a fantasy novel. All of them have complicated motivations that are independent of "what" they might be. If you're used to see your archers arch and your demons... do......more
Abhinav
You can read the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the first novel in a new series featuring the half-demon, half-human tieflings of Faerun.

“A unique point-of-view character, a fantastic plot related to demons and cultists, and some truly solid writing make Brimstone Angels a fantastic read. I just discovered another amazing author!” ~The Founding Fields

I got into reading Forgotten Realms novels through Paul S. Kemp’s excellent Ere...more
Epheros Aldor
Jan 01, 2013 Epheros Aldor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy, Dungeons and Dragons, Forgotten Realms
Brimstone Angels, by Erin M. Evans, is an intriguing mix of several different stories: the subtle rivalries of two sisters competing; a teenage girl, an outsider, trying to figure out who she is in a town of full outsiders and cast-offs; a father feeling inadequate to dealing with two adopted daughters; a runaway boy avoiding a life he doesn’t want to face; a devil trying desperately to stay well away from the machinations of his powerful family; and the most powerful of the Nine Hells focused o...more
Maris
Jun 23, 2013 Maris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Forgotten Realms and ones looking to get into it
This novel begged to be rated 5 stars, but I simply couldn't due to its biggest plus and the flaw at the same time - the twins. AS bipolar they were, they had one thing in common - they were teens. and that detail made majority of the novel being as great as it was - because it was different, really different than other ones out there - a surprisingly live and true tale of two teens being overprotected by their care taker.

It could have been a story set outside of the Forgotten Realms setting, b...more
Silvina
Tuve dificultades con los nombres en el audiolibro, me costaba seguir el curso de la historia con tanto nombre complicado y tantos personajes y sus tramas. Claro que, cuando me enganche, tuve que dejar todo y sentarme a saborear cada palabra.
Me gustó mucho la historia y agradezco que no se mezclara con romances ("los demonios no se enamoran"). Las gemelas tienen una gran relación, a veces, algunos celos y rivalidades pero siempre buscan ayudarse, al igual que los amigos Brin, Tam y su padre adop...more
Wes
It was only a matter of time before a series with the new "tiefling" as the main character(s) entered the fray. I suppose, given the origin of tieflings, it was only natural that various layers of Hell would play a large part in the story. With the recent dramatic changes to the world of Forgotten Realms, adding in the inferno made my head spin even more. The book itself was good from the beginning. The main protagonist, Farideh, didn't display much of her knowledge of what it means to be a warl...more
Chaijava
A great book and a good Neverwinter story. Made me actually want to play a Warlock.
Jahve
well written nice characters with good dialogue, but overall meh...
Graham
Awesome book all the way. The characters are extremely interesting, and very dynamic. The plot is extremely well done, and slowly unfolds with more and more. After reading the book and looking back on it, I realize it is really a mystery/action novel as you get more and more detail on what is going on and why things are happening. The settings are extremely dynamic shifting from Neverwinter to the 6th Hell in advancing the story and character development. This stand alone novel as everything any...more
Christopher
I purchased two of this author's books based on strong Amazon reviews (specifically their Omnivoracious book blog). The selling point was allegedly the whip-smart dialogue. I was curious to see how this would work in a genre fiction setting like Dungeons and Dragons.

While the dialogue and character development is above average between the two female protagonists, it's all in service of an utterly unengaging plot that goes nowhere for too long. Found myself skimming quite a bit towards the end a...more
Rob
Ok, not great. May be burned out on fantasy right now but it seemed more like a teenager series than anything else. Also not as into the whole evil magic side of things. Audio reader also sounded childish and the combination was annoying.
Eg
Prerequiqite: You should like stories about devils and demons.

Interesting plot, kind of ruined with teenagers dialogues looking more like Text messages: Far too much dotted single words. "Far. Too. Much.".
Maybe subjective but I find that speech style so irritating.
This annoying aspect lessens over time as things start to get serious.
As the plot unfolds, you start realizing that this is not a one shot read, and a cliffhanger looms...
Stephanie
I've never had so much difficulty making the connections a book was trying to set in motion. I don't believe the character's motives for doing anything they did. I've read a lot of fantasy and this was just meh. I'm going to read the next one because I have to but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. maybe it will be better than this. one can hope.
Zayne
More like 3.5
This book was pretty good, and I would have given it four stars but during the middle of the story, it got a little dull. But other than that, I enjoyed it. It had action, comedy, and characters with real world problems. Erin M. Evans is a good writer and I look forward to reading the sequel.
Mike Woodland
I really liked this book. It really played with the whole notion of good and evil, and the many shades of gray in between. I couldn't put it down, and i found myself waking up early before work to "get in" a few chapters beforehand:)
R.K. MacPherson
I really enjoyed Brimstone Angels. Erin does a great job with "outsider" characters, and invested each of them with compelling (and different) personalities and motivations. Definitely recommend.
Galaqtik
i guess i can be considered a D&D fan even though i've never played the game. This will be the 4th D&D book that i've read (keep picking them by coincidence)
Brandon Ax
I really enjoyed it. The characters were great and it was nice to see Neverwinter from another set of eyes. I will post a more in-depth review when I can.
Michael
A very entertaining and fast read. I would highly recommend this to all who are D&D fans. Only thing I would consider a con is that it left me wanting more.
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • The Spectral Blaze (Brotherhood of the Griffon #3)
  • Avenger (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #3)
  • City of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #4)
  • The Crystal Mountain (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #3)
  • Mistshore (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #2)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • Obsidian Ridge (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #2)
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Bury Elminster Deep (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #7)
  • Plague Of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
The Adversary (The Sundering, #3) Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils: A Forgotten Realms Novel The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5) Fire in the Blood Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, Book II: A Forgotten Realms Novel