Start by marking “Color Me” as Want to Read:
Color Me

Read Book

Color Me (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

Official Description: Jonah Fisher and Scott Eeley may both be Deaf, but they couldn't be more different.

Scott is a color consultant who doesn't interact well with the hearing. He watches his gorgeous new neighbor swim every morning, but has no idea how to approach him. He doesn't even know his name.

Jonah is a bouncer with an 'I'm Deaf, deal with it' attitude. He doesn't l
Published July 14th 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Color Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color Me

Marte
*** 2,5 plot holestars ***

The bad:

The story in itself wasn't particularly good. It hada whole lot of plot points, loose ends and characters, which were crammed in to this not-so-short story.

The story suffers from a "compression syndrome" (yeah, I made that up)... trying to compress a whole book into a short story which leaves the result less desired. A lot of the plot points were interesting, but they left holes all over the story.

Like the paranormal aspect. Scott has the ability to see color s
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I liked this story, it was enjoyable but it never explained what or why he saw colors. Or what was so special about it.

Just one big WTF moment (view spoiler)
Alaska
It was simply a sweet love story although nothing about it was simple. I enjoyed every second of it and the only thing I have to criticize is the lack of more background information. Okay, it is a short story and you get enough hints about what happened in their pasts but when I like characters that much I want to have it spelled out. Everything. (view spoiler) ...more
SueM
Aug 03, 2011 SueM rated it really liked it
Way to go Blaine! The spots of color thing was really intriguing although it had puzzled me a bit at first! Jonah and Scott were in many ways the opposite of each other - Jonah a strong physical type, Scott a quiet artistic type - but their personalities complemented each other beautifully. Thank you for writing this story; I really enjoyed it.
Isa K.
Feb 07, 2012 Isa K. rated it liked it
Meh~ This was an okay story. On one hand, nicely written and rather substantial for a freebie. On the other I was expecting the author to actually use the deafness of both MCs to do something interesting and I didn't get that. Instead things are described in terms of sound exactly the same way they might be in any other book, with little clauses tacked on to remind you that the characters can't actually experience those sounds. There was so much potential here! Rather than describing a Scott ...more
Wendy Ann
What a wonderful story! It has some great humor ("Sugar Daddy") and I love that both main characters are deaf. I think the author was able to give us better insight into the unique ways that people use their other senses to experience situations if one of their senses (like hearing) is gone. One memorable passage that demonstrated this for me:

Jonah saw his head fall back and he lowered his cheek to Scott's stomach so he could feel his reaction.

Loved Scott's unique color ability and Jonah's pro
CAS
Jul 19, 2011 CAS rated it it was amazing
"Food, the language of the male." :)

Loved every single thing about this story.
I really enjoyed the loving, supportive circle of family and friends both men have in their lives, it added extra depth and warmth to the story.
I would love to read more about Jonah and Scott...

Leaundra
Jul 24, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
Cute and sweet story and I liked that they were both Deaf. I think Sign Language is such a beautiful language.
Leenchen
Inhalt:

Scotts neuer Nachbar ist sexy, athletisch, eine Augenweide und doch weiß Scott nicht, wie er an ihn rankommen soll. Durch Zufall treffen sie immer mal wieder aufeinander, aber der Nachbar scheint ihn nicht zu mögen. Erst später findet Scott heraus, dass Jonah, sein Nachbar, ihn mit seinem Vater gesehen hat und falsche Schlüsse gezogen hat. Trotzdem ist Jonah faszinierend für Scott, denn er ist farblos. Scott kann nämlich Emotionen und Körpersprache in Farbflecken sehen und interpretieren,
L-D
Sep 27, 2011 L-D rated it liked it
In this story, Scott loves to watch from his balcony as his neighbor swim laps in the apartment complex pool. He thinks he is being surreptitious, but his neighbor knows that he is watching. There was a slight twist to this story in that not only are both men deaf, but Scott sees peoples' colors. I'll have to admit that I wasn't really sure about how the colors fit into the story until it was explained somewhat at the end. I think I would've enjoyed the story just as much if Scott's unusual view ...more
Sophia
May 21, 2012 Sophia rated it really liked it
Nice satisfying short read that features two deaf heroes. One is a designer and the other a part owner in a bar and grill. Both men have the support of their families, but have personal issues. Jonah hasn't gotten past the death of his friend and Scott is still ultra-sensitive about being deaf which comes out in his work place and he carries around a unique secret.
The plot is fairly simple, but was well-written and is paced well for a short read. The characters are very enjoyable especially when
Lacey

Overall, this is an enjoyable story about two deaf, gay men working things out and getting together. I liked that Jonah and Scott didn't follow the stereotype during sex - Scott was so cute when he took over! Certain parts could have been fleshed out more. I thought there could have been more explanation about Jonah's past. I'm assuming his injury is the reason for the career change, but we never really learn anything about that period of his life. Also, I thought more could have been s
Sadonna
Jul 24, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: free, mm
Really cool story about two guys who admire each other from afar and then make contact. Unusual story in that both men, Jonah and Scott, are deaf and each has made his own way in the hearing world - differently. The author uses their lack of hearing to further the development of their relationship, but that in no way detracts from the core of the story which is two very different people meeting and trying to build a relationship. Well done.
Oct 10, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Carissa
I really enjoyed this. My only complaint is I wish it had been longer so we could have more back story on the two main characters. I'd also like to know why Scott sees colors; I was actually confused on what he "discovered" about himself and these colors at the end. Also, (view spoiler) All in all, a great little story!
Kendra T
Jan 22, 2012 Kendra T rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, mm
This was a cute story. It had some humor but overall it was just a sweet story with disabilities involved (which I love). I just wish it explained a little more about the colors. We know he has them but why, how long, what do they mean? I guess technically he probably doesn't know either but it was a small part that made me wonder.
LutaWolf
Jul 18, 2011 LutaWolf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, free-read
The story is so sweet and well told. You get an indepth feel for the characters and though you might not find out all the mysteries. It's still more than enjoyable because it's not annoying, you just feel like your starting a new relationship and getting a feel for them same as the characters. I hope to hear more about the characters. They are truely endearing.
Jess
Jul 23, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
I had a bit of trouble following the story when it swapped POV. But this could be just me.

I loved the plot idea and the two main characters were AWESOME

Thankyou Blaine for writing us a lovely free story :)
Dcf260
Feb 28, 2012 Dcf260 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
The end just sort of comes and takes you by surprise. It seemed slightly awkward. Otherwise this was a really quick and cute story, although Scott being able to see colours also seems to come out of nowhere.
Karyn
Mar 30, 2015 Karyn rated it really liked it
Very sweet. 2 very different individuals who had only one thing in common, and who helped better the other person. I loved the bit about Scott being able to see colours around people and the tranquility Jonah bought it.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jan 10, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal
This was a cute short story. I got a little confused in the beginning as to who was who, but that didn't last long. I was disappointed we didn't really find out what the seeing colors deal was all about, just that it happened but, overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Tamara (Nanny Ogg)
Jan 29, 2016 Tamara (Nanny Ogg) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tamara (Nanny Ogg) by: Joyce
Aija
Sep 04, 2012 Aija rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-reads
Really, really liked this story and the themes it explores! Surprised me how good it was, actually. :)

Blaine, you have a knack for contemporaries! Can I have more, please? ;D
Meggie
Aug 28, 2011 Meggie rated it liked it
This was funny short story with interesting characters. I liked both main characters and wouldn't mind reading more about them.
qx
Dec 22, 2011 qx rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
4.5
Aniko
Nov 06, 2011 Aniko rated it liked it
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
The colors mean how people feel, its the persons aura just so you people know
Fairy / Anna
I felt lost for a couple of times... That story was too short for something like that ;)
Rachel
Very interesting story with great characters. I loved the use of color in this.
Shay
Oct 17, 2011 Shay rated it it was amazing
cute free read, it was nice wish it was longer.
  • Tears of the Sea
  • Sink or Swim
  • I Am the Highway
  • Starting Over
  • Kiss and Tell
  • Appearing Knightly
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Blindsided
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Surf's Up
  • Hidden Needs (Secrets of the Sanctuary, #1)
  • Liar, Liar (A Candyland Story, #1)
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Pyrogasm
  • Freedom's Souvenir
  • Dog Days of Summer
  • Cody and the Hermit
Blaine D. Arden is a purple-haired, forty-something author of queer romance mixed with fantasy, mystery, and magic who sings her way through life in platform boots.

Born and raised in Zutphen, the Netherlands, Blaine spent many hours of her sheltered youth reading, day dreaming, making up stories and acting them out with her Barbies. After seeing the film “An Early Frost” as a teen in the mid-eight
More about Blaine D. Arden...

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix