Start by marking “Walking After Midnight” as Want to Read:
Walking After Midnight

Walking After Midnight

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,427 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The nude male body lay on the embalming table, battered beyond recognition. Gingerly, Summer McAfee, chairman, CEO, and sole employee of Daisy Fresh cleaning service, reached out to touch an arm to reassure herself that she hadn't just seen the corpse move.Suddenly, shockingly, her hand was in the viselike grip of a man very much alive and desperate enough to take her capt...more
Published July 27th 2011 by Dell (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Walking After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking After Midnight

Saly
I seriously enjoyed this book when I didn't think I would because the introduction to the hero is less than stellar. The heroine has been stood up by her employees(she runs a cleaning service) and is now alone cleaning up a funeral home, scared and singing songs when she finds the hero, who is not dead. He kidnaps her, is less than gentle with her and doesn't believe her when she tells him that she is not involved in what happened to him.

The heroine was a former lingerie model who returned home...more
Jacqueline
This book starts out at midnight in a mortuary when a naked, beat up corpse suddenly grabs janitor Summer's hand and drags her into the middle of a life and death chase through the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee. Steve is not dead, but he is extremely frightening. She fights and spars with him and calls him Frankenstein and does every thing she can to get away from him. When she eventually gets back to her house she finds the men who tried to kill him are there and figures out they are a worse be...more
This was a page-turning romantic suspense set in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee. I just couldn't put it down, and stayed up way too late last night reading it. The book's spooky beginning puts Summer, cleaning service owner, alone at night in a funeral home where she is suprised by a corpse that isn't exactly dead yet. It takes off from there to the forests and small towns of the Smokies where everyone seems to be an enemy, and where the man who kidnapped Summer starts looking like less and l...more
Jolene
Karen Robards always manages to keep me on the edge of my seat with mystery, fast paced action and a fullfilling love story tucked underneath with some intense love scenes. I love her books and can't wait to get ahold of some more. Each story of her's that I have read (this is only my 3rd) are very unique. I love the storylines! Summer McAfee is an ex lingeree model who is divorced and trying to make it on her own. She has a cleaning company that she has built from the ground up. Taking over the...more
Mayu
Este es uno de los libros más raros que he leído nunca. Y cuando digo "raro", quiero decir muy, muy raro. Nada de peculiar o diferente, no, raro. Además, esta historia de secuestro y suspense con amorio fantasmal incluido no puede ni de lejos, llamarse romántico. La novela no fue lo que esperaba, mis expectativas se quedaron en nada. ¿Mas obras de Karen? Con todo mi respeto, pero no gracias.
This book was really good, better than I was expecting actually. It starts out a little lame as the spooked heroine seems movie theme songs to herself and the spookiness escalates until she is FINALLY going to see if the man is alive. That took way too long to get to, IMO. But the suspense quickly escalates and literally forces you to keep turning pages hours into the night, when most people are long asleep.

I loved the general premise of the book. Two main characters forced to flee for their liv...more
Michelle Robinson
I just finished this novel and to say that I was disappointed is an understatement.

A fellow reader told me that this was a great read and so my expectations were really high.

I found the mystery pretty thin. I also am always amazed when supposedly intelligent women have spontaneous, unprotected sex with men they hardly know. Especially in a case like this when the guy is completely unknown and could possibly be a murderer. Even if he wasn't, at the time this book was written, I like women who are...more
Lhenry
I have read a couple by Robard and this is my favorite so far. Her characters, especially Steve, have a life that has gone so far off course, the HEA is very satisfing, and the plot and characterizations make the outcome believable. Both Steve and Summer are imperfect people but their flaws are human and often rather endearing. They also both become better people through the course of their adventure.There is a ghost character in this one, who I liked too.

And their adventure is exciting, lots o...more
Amy
This early novel by Karen Robards strains the reader's credulity, requires a map to keep all the loose plotlines straight, and wanders a bit--but it is breathtaking and awesome like a carnival ride turned up to speed "11". I'd read it before but long enough ago that this re-read was better than the first time, and I enjoyed it very much. Robards' characters are not squeaky-clean, stories are gritty in the extreme, and resolutions are not neatly tied for all eternity. I like that. And I really li...more
Susan
picked this up at clubhouse bookshelves...cute little mystery, but caught off guard by rather graphic sex scenes toward end...kind of reluctant to share!
Anabella Karine)
Solo tres sílabas: ¡Ja-ja-ja! Este libro para mi punto de vista merece cinco estrellas porque si bien no nos cuenta nada del otro mundo, me parece muy novedoso en lo que a novela romántica se refiere. No es chick-lit, pero me reí muchísimo. Es una novela romántica cualquiera, con una historia cualquiera, pero súper original en el género y con un estilo tan inesperado que me terminó encantando. Hay que atreverse a escribir (y sobre todo a publicar) semejante innovación, con un prota de carne y hu...more
Susan Ritter
Loved it! Adventure, thriller, hot, and some comedy!
Brenda
THis book is one of those books that captures "thoughts" that anyone might experience during a daily routine, but when they happen while cleaning a mortuary, that is just hiliarious.

A fast moving read it kept me laughing while keeping me on the edge of my seat in suspense. I hated to put it down to go to sleep.

The characters were real, and the situations were believable. If you like suspense with quirky situations, this book will not be a disappointment.
Anne
The beginning was pretty funny.
"Who you gonna call?! Ghostbusters!"
I'd have wet pants, too, if I were stuck at a funeral home at two in morning, cleaning toilets and whatnot, and then suddenly you find yourself attacked by the corpse on the embalming table, who turns out not to be dead at all. Plus, I loved Summer's spunky attitude. And the story was a pretty thrilling ride. It sure helped passed the time.
Sharon A.
Sometimes when you read an older book the situation and general interaction of the characters is dated; sometimes offensively so. I had to keep plowing through the beginning of this book; the (albeit mostly mild) violence between them at the beginning of the story was off-putting. I kept after it though, and once past that it was a cute story with a nice happy ending; just what I was looking for at the time.
Kerry Allen
I held onto this for years because it was a hell of a meet-cute.

Upon rereading, everything after that makes my teeth gnash.

"I've known him eight hours, and I've thought he was a bastard for seven hours and fifty-eight minutes of our acquaintance, but I looooooooooove him."

"I'm having a juvenile hissy fit because you've ever spoken to another woman!"
"Good. I like my women jealous."

Double gag.
Hope
the book is very interesting and a page turner
in the beginning i was (this is a romance novel !!!! WTF)
but then it's getting together love the action :)
----------------------------------------------------------
well !!! at the end i loved the action more :D
this is really a good book and i loved the way they were thinking to get out of this situation
i wasn't disappointed
Farah
I wanted to scream at , scratch and attack both main characters , I wanted to throw eggs at them and then have them role in horse poop , I really didn't like them !! They were noisy , immature and downright annoying. The plot was okay but the ghost touches were kinda of lame , overall a MEH read oh and the hero was an A hole.
Lita Bouquard
I love that Karen Robard's character's are usually 5 - 10 pounds overweight and still manage to find sexy men. It's rare that an author can make a mystery/suspense romance funny, but she manages to do it. I laughed out loud as I imagined "ghostbusters" being sung in the funeral parlor.
Jacque
This was a fun action romance, very fast paced adventure. I always like everyday women learning that they are strong enough to handle extreme situations.I do wiah she hadn't fallen into bed with him the day after he kidnaped her a knife point, which is the only reason it didn't rate a four.
Karen
I like romantic comedies and thrillers. This story is both.

The hero is a secret agent who is trying to protect a heroine who got caught in the middle. Along for the ride is her beloved fat and grumpy cat. The hero, by the way, is highly allergic to cats.
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was believable. A couple of TSTL moments but overall I was never pulled out of the story. I was surprised by the actual motivation of the villan. Suspense, romance, and paranormal. It was all there.
Becky
I read this book one summer because it was the only one i hadnt read in my house yet, and it was way better then i thought it was going to be. It was an easy read that didnt take much efort but it was enjoyable
Michelle
I read this a while back but I remember enjoying it. I like the snipey banter although you do get "sympathy tired" reading the many physical trials. I enjoyed the slightly dickish behavior of the H and the h was funny.
Tina
I'm not sure why this book struck such a chord with me. Maybe because it's one of the first Robards books I read, or maybe because the story began in such an improbable way. But I definitely enjoyed it.
Debbie
I was reading this very late on night @ my parent's home. About the time of cleaning the morgue, my Dad's clock chimed & I just about jumped out of the bed! Love Karen Robards! This book was one of my favs.
Tammy Walton Grant
I hated to check off the books-I-disliked for this one, but BOY did I dislike this book! I can't understand why this is rated so high. I really like Karen Robards but won't be reading this one again.
Gina
Oh my goodness! What a great and wonderful imagination Karen has!
From another writer, please let me say "Bravo" for Karen's Walking After Midnight.
Another fast-paced and unpredictable page turner.
  • Exposure
  • Midnight Rainbow (Rescues #1)
  • Nightfall
  • Protecting Paige (Serve and Protect, #3)
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #830)
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
  • Amazon Lily
  • Worth the Trip
  • The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)
  • Pursuit
  • The Guardian (Taskforce, #2)
  • Family Man
  • Her Own Best Enemy
  • Blade's Lady (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1023)
  • Then You Hide (Bullet Catcher, #5)
  • The Survivors
Karen was born on 24 August 1954 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was a teenager. She sold her first short story, when was very young, and was published in the December 1973 Reader's Digest, but she cannot sold her first romance novel until 1981, when she was 24. After it, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today, a regular on the New York Times...more
More about Karen Robards...
Shattered Bait One Summer The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #1) Shiver