Start by marking “Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail” as Want to Read:
Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail

Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published November 28th 2001 by Xlibris Corporation (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery

Trish Barlowe
This book is so fantastic! I loved reading it and found myself getting sad that I was nearing the end! This is such a unique memoir. JR or "Model-T" had me laughing with his little made up ditties and unapologetic opinions. His sarcastic tone coupled with his ability to eloquently describe even the most mundane of things make this book so enjoyable. When his tone would (rarely) turn serious, his words would grip my heart and even make me shed a tear or two. His fellow thru-hikers are such fun ch ...more
Blaine Motsinger
Within the first chapter I knew I wouldn't like this book, but I thought I'd try to stick it out. I only made it through 8%, according to my kindle, before I gave up.

The words are very decorative but lack depth; they just don't quite fit right; a little too over-polished. Also, the alter-ego is very gimmicky. I just couldn't get past those things.

How does this have such high ratings?
Dan
A detailed account of a hiker's Appalachian Trail thru-hike. I liked the detail he gives following his progress closely, but am not a big fan of the two personalities he uses to narrate the story. Not my favorite AT book, but I still liked it and would put it in the upper half of all of the thru-hike books I have read.
Sue
This book was inspiring and really thought provoking! A good one for anyone who is trying to come to terms with life!
Micki Hanby
Micki Hanby marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Emily Bennett
Emily Bennett marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Toria
Toria marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Susana
Susana marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jacob Williams
Jacob Williams marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Daniel Grecu
Daniel Grecu marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ashley Minnnich
Ashley Minnnich marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Joeann
Joeann marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Linde
Linde added it
Feb 20, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Christi Haas
Christi Haas marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014