Start by marking “Let Go” as Want to Read:
Let Go

Let Go

Do you struggle through family problems, battle with the tensions of raising children, or find yourself overwhelmed with pressures on the job? Are personal failures and disappointments on the increase as you face each day? What a fountain of life it would be to discover how to let go of those distresses and learn to embrace the joy and peace that God has promised! Fnelon-- ...more
Published April 1st 1973 by Whitaker Distribution (first published March 31st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Let Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Go

Tiffany
Jun 28, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
At a surface glance, one could believe that Francois Fenelon was a Stoic and that he wanted to promote those teachings.

But that's not what is truly behind the hard words he wrote to encourage those who needed his written attention.

He puts his finger directly on the source of the pain, ache or suffering and then he offered words to the contrary of many others since him who would tell one who suffers to find comfort in sweet verses from scripture and endure it until the worst has passed.

Fenelon ba
Gary Butler
Mar 22, 2012 Gary Butler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
11th book read in 2012.

Number 53 out of 243 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Mallory
Mar 20, 2015 Mallory rated it it was amazing
An essential read for every Christian with hard-hitting, thought-provoking statements. Wonderfully encouraging as well. This is my second time going through it and I think I should probably re-read it more often.
Yash Garg
Jun 23, 2015 Yash Garg rated it really liked it
whether you a atheist or not . This book is a must to read. It travels you through being humble, selfless and being devoted to cause. It will drag out out of miseries that one brings upon himself.
Bob
Feb 17, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it
I would give it 5 stars for devotion, but only 3 for relatability so four stars it is.
Kristi
Jan 17, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing
I've been reading and rereading this book for years, a little at a time. It's a collection of letters written as spiritual direction in the 17th century in a very readable modern translation. It *always* helps my attitude. Here's an example:

I would also warn you of the temptation of "humble talk." It is so easy to talk in very humble ways simply because it sounds good. But it is far better to be humble and say nothing about it. The humility that can still talk needs to be carefully watched! The
Jerry Bousard
Apr 22, 2016 Jerry Bousard rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books that I read regularly.
Dustin Bagby
Feb 18, 2015 Dustin Bagby rated it really liked it
Some really great spiritual wisdom in this little book.
Go2therock
Feb 23, 2013 Go2therock rated it liked it
This has been a good book to round out my reading. Francois is a dear brother in Christ whose encouragement is always to turn our thoughts, and I mean ALWAYS, to the Lord. At times this came across a bit as though he did not truly relate to our humanity, although he offered reassurances that it was otherwise. I feel a bit ungenerous to only give this three stars, but within the realm of the books I read, four would be a bit much. 3.5 is more like it.
Laura Verret
Jan 28, 2011 Laura Verret rated it liked it
"A cross carried in simplicity, without the interference of self adding to the weight of it, is not really so bad."

"God is the giver of knowledge and He desires to have us put it into practice. But the moment we get knowledge, we get so carried away with the delight of having it that we forget there is anything else to be done. But the fact is we have very little reason to rejoice until we put our knowledge into operation in life."
Keith
Jun 25, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet. Great info on dying to self. I don't agree with all his points though. Still a great book of his letters he wrote.
John
Oct 29, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Recommended to John by: Dr. Terry Wardle
I'm reading this in an attempt to nurtue the contemplative component of my spiritual life. Chapters are quite short making them amenable to quickly imparting the seed of a thought that can grow throughout the day.
Krista
Oct 29, 2010 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-lit
Cheesy title and cover I guess but these simple life lessons from Fenelon are phenomenal. He was a spiritual advisor to a number of people, including a king, and this book is a collection of letters of his advice.
Milan Homola
Dec 10, 2015 Milan Homola rated it it was amazing
Profound words that should be chewed on, meditated on, practiced on, etc for eternity. I can't think of any other collection of short letters that packs this kind of punch.
Liz
Apr 20, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Short and simple book with a clear message to let go of self, let go of anxiety, let go of the things that ensnare us and keep us from enjoying the peace that is ours in Christ.
Tom
Tom Talamantez
One of the few books I have read multiple times. This book will cause you to deeply examine your heart, your faith and shine light on the darkness within you.
Jenny
Dec 01, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This book was helpful during a dark time in my life. Each short letter is packed with godly wisdom, delivered in a pastoral tone.
Jason Brubaker
Dec 27, 2010 Jason Brubaker rated it it was amazing
Potentially one of my top three favorite books outside the Bible. Very practical and helpful.
Lenny
Jul 29, 2009 Lenny rated it liked it
A less polished collection, but I can't get enough of this guy.
Kimberly
Jun 12, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
The type of book to be read over and over again.
Stuart
Aug 04, 2013 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Amazing life lessons to contemplate in prayer
Cheryl
Mar 29, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Very influential devotional for me.
Katie
Jul 29, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Want to own this book.
Mariangela Holliday
Mariangela Holliday is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
Sus
Sus is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
doris perryman
doris perryman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2016
Tim Tuttle
Tim Tuttle marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Waiting on God
  • Clowning in Rome: Reflections on Solitude, Celibacy, Prayer, and Contemplation
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • The Name
  • Richard J. Foster's Study Guide for "Celebration of Discipline"
  • Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Weeds Among the Wheat
  • Experiencing God Through Prayer
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • The Gospel According to Job
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Messy Spirituality
  • Invitation to Love: The Way of Christian Contemplation
  • As Silver Refined: Answers to Life's Disappointments
François de Salignac de la Mothe-Fénelon, more commonly known as François Fénelon was a French Roman Catholic theologian, poet and writer. He today is remembered mostly as one of the main advocates of quietism and as the author of The Adventures of Telemachus, a scabrous attack on the French monarchy, first published in 1699.
More about François Fénelon...

“Give yourself up to His plans. Be led wherever He wills by His providence. Beware how you seek aid from man when God forbids it. Men can only give you what He gives them for you. Why should you be troubled that you can no longer drink from the aqueduct when you are led to the perennial spring itself from which its waters are derived?” 0 likes