Dial M For Merde

Dial M For Merde (Paul West #4)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  603 ratings  ·  35 reviews

In the South of France, Paul West has a license to thrill.

He has just received an offer he can't refuse: two weeks in the sun, all expenses paid, with a beautiful blonde called Gloria Monday.

But it soon becomes obvious that M, as Gloria likes to be known, is not really interested in holidaying with Paul. She has bigger fish to fry.

Meanwhile Paul's best friend Elodie

Published (first published September 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dial M For Merde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dial M For Merde

Barbara
I enjoyed this book immensely, as I have enjoyed all of Stephen Clarke's "Merde" novels. This was definitely better than the last one though, which I had to make myself read at times. The wit and cleverness was ever present in this novel, where he daringly used the French President (who we know is Nicolas Sarkozy but obviously Stephen couldn't mention for fear of getting sued or worse hunted down by the French government) for laughs. I really hope he brings us more hilarity from Paul West, I'll...more
Karena
Jun 15, 2009 Karena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: francophiles, chick lit lovers, people who read literary travel
Shelves: travel
A perfect summer read for us francophiles! I wasn't let down by the author in this installment of his Merde series, or his take on French culture. He is still a wry Brit with a taste for les femmes. Following him through southern France in the wake of his girlfriend is lovely with a hint of shaken, not stirred...and his girlfriend from a previous book is trying to get married into a gentille famille. Bonne Maman and her relatives are a riot!
Jill Elizabeth
My review copy of Dial M for Merde was graciously provided by the good people at Open Road Media Marketing. Special thanks to Kayla Shaw at Open Road for reaching out and inviting me to review the book.

If you’re not familiar with the “Merde” books (A Year in the Merde, In the Merde for Love, Merde Happens), you really should be. They’re a very fun collection of quirky, goofy tales about the exploits of Paul West, a British ex-pat living in France. The books are a series of first-person narrative...more
Chrissy Vassiliadis
This one is simply ridiculous. I have come to the conclusion that the only Paul West book actually worth reading was Merde Happens.Dial M for Merde was silly, unbelievable and not at all funny. I will not be reading book number five. I think I've had enough.
Hrvoje
Since I have been a big fan of Merde series, I jumped right in this book. I loved it immensely since it involves characters that I have grown to love. However, saying that, this book is not the strongest one in the series. Some parts were a bit stretched and bit harder to pull through than usual, and the whole feeling was that this instalment was a bit rushed in the production. Having all this in mind, I would still recommend it since it has that typical Franco-British wit and sharpness. It is s...more
Barbarawombatgmail.com
Fun read to remember the French. Set in southern France in similar location to Kate Mosse books.
Joey
Very funny.
But wouldn't read it the second time.
Will read the rest Of Merde installment.
Dark Lord
Pretty much on an equal level with the other 'Merde' books. Paul West is still likeable, the books normally have three or four real laugh out loud moments and are generally really good fun. They always make me wish I was Poolside or in a cafe in France to be able to sit and read them in one sitting. Roll on the next one whenever that may be,
Stella
Another funny instalment by Stephen Clarke. I have enjoyed the 'Merde' series but I have to say that none were better than the first one. It wasn't as easy a read as the others either. I felt myself distracted at times and found other things to do. In the end, it still made me giggle here and there but I don't think I would read it again.
Angel Serrano
Heidi
Really enjoyed this book. Even though I had a pretty good idea of where the book was going it just grabbed me. Maybe cause I can relate to an English speaking person attempting to figure out the nuances of the French language. I would definitely read other books by this author.
Michelle
Dissapointing compared to the other books in the Merde series. I felt that Stephen Clarke was a bit half hearted with this attempt. The book was humourous in places and an easy summer read but it lacked the comedy and believable storyline and characters of the other Merde books.
Shui
ha. Same old same old from monsieur Clarke, I really liked his previous books but the Englishman in France thing is starting to wear a bit thin. Only bother reading this is you really like him otherwise too much deja vu.
Jill
This was exactly the kind of book I was looking to read -- frivolous, with the occasional linguistic pun. I read some of his other Merde books, and was surprised to find this a mystery (I know, the title). Good snow day book.
Louis
Fourth instalment in this comical series about a Brit living in France. Although the storylines are getting more and more far-fetched it was still a nice lifght enjoyable read.Recommend to anyone to needs a chuckle or two.
Lisa (scarlet21)
Brilliant, comic genius, had me laughing out loud with the subtle mix ups of English - French translations of similar words. Please, please don't pronounce bouillabaisse incorrectly!! If you want a laugh, read this.
Simon
Just poorly written. Has been 5 hears since I read the first two of this series. This was either written be an average ghost writer or my taste has changed a lot since.
Alexandra
Der vierte Aufguss eines ehemals lustigen aber nun natürlich total ausgelutschten Themas - hätte sich der Autor wirklich sparen können.

Schal, fad, uninspieriert
Carol
"Dial M for Merde" had enough humour and plot complications to keep me reading. There were some very funny moments, and I appreciate an author who can make me laugh.
Tina
I need to stop reading self-published books as there were so many typos toward the end, i.e. drought for thought. Does the author not care?
Bradshaw
Jun 16, 2012 Bradshaw marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
These books are getting a bit long in the tooth but it's still hard to resist the adventures of Englishman Paul West in France.
Julie Wright
Enjoyed it, bought when on a ferry. Not read any others of his titles before. It made a change from what I had read recently.
B.B. Scott
What a pleasant , easy read. Stephen's recipe for success continues in Dial M, and will keep you turning the pages for more.
Franck Emsallem
Always a pleasure to discover Paul West's adventures. Stephen Clarke is so brilliant !
Dennis Weeks
I enjoyed Clarke's other books but this one is so forced that it qualifies as "unfunny"!
Steph
Good, but could've been better - less mystery, more funny French stuff pls!
The review for this book is too obvious to state.
Just read the cover.
Jacqueline Renault
Disappointing compared to the other 'merde' books.
Paul
Laugh out loud funny. Great beach book.
Les
Intersting twist on an attempted assassination
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends
  • Swahili for the Broken-Hearted
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Penguin's Poems for Life
  • Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris
  • Stuff Parisians Like: Discovering the Quoi in the Je Ne Sais Quoi
  • Lessons From Madame Chic: The Top 20 Things I Learned While Living in Paris
  • The Wild Irish
  • Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl (Nancy Chan, #1)
  • The Clouds Beneath the Sun: A Novel
A Year in the Merde Merde Actually Talk to the Snail: Ten Commandments for Understanding the French Merde Happens 1000 Years of Annoying the French