The French Slow Cooker

The French Slow Cooker

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Plug it in and Cook with French Flair

“I’d bet that if French cooks could get their hands on Michele Scicolone’s French Slow Cooker, which is filled with smart, practical, and convenient recipes, they’d never let it go.” — Dorie Greenspan, author of Around My French Table

With a slow cooker, even novices can turn out dishes that taste as though they came straight out of the...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2012)

Will
Most cookbooks are pretty bad.

Most "device" cookbooks are worse, where by device I mean for a specific appliance or technique, such as "on the grill", microwave, or in this case the worse offender: The noble slow cooker, or "crock pot".

This book is terrific. Most GOOD cookbooks are lucky if there's 2-3 good ideas to scrape together like fond off a crusty pan. This cookbook is filled with good ideas and recipes that would convince even the most stalwart skeptic of the slow cooker to sneak it out...more
Cheryl
This is currently my favorite cookbook. It has really opened up my understanding and perceptions of what can be created with a slow cooker. This week we tried a butternut squash bisque and an herb baked chicken. All ingredients came from the local farmers market.

Most of the recipes in this book take less than 10 minutes of prep time, which can be done in the morning, or the night before. I love that the recipes recommend all fresh ingredients. Leave the cooker on low for 6-8 hours and you have a...more
Gwen
Nov 24, 2012 Gwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: food
Interesting concept: use a slow cooker to replicate the cooking process in many French recipes. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to make edible fish dishes in the slow cooker, but the rest of the recipes look solid. I appreciate that this isn't just a book full of the standard soups/stews that so many slow cooker cookbooks seem to be. I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I've bookmarked these:

Garlic Soup
Cook on low for 6 hours: 1 garlic head (cloves separated and peeled), 8 C. water, 3 2" str...more
Annie

A copy of this book was provided for review.

The French Slow Cooker makes my mouth water -- the pictures, the stories, the tricks, and the recipes. Not to mention, it highlights one of the unsung heroes of the kitchen: the slow cooker. Oh la la!

The author does a wonderful job of providing tips and techniques for successful slow cooking. She reviews staples of a French pantry and dives right into the recipes with French inspired soups. The author also does a fabulous job of providing a little int...more
Christine
This is my favorite cookbook. I feel as though the author has converted all of my grandmother's recipes so that I have time to make them.

Originally, I checked this book out of the library; which I liked so much that I purchased the Kindle edition.

The recipes often require browning meat, or other preparations that take fifteen to thirty minutes. So if you want to throw everything in the pot and leave for work immediately these recipes will not be practical for you. Also, the recipes produce large...more
K
so far I've tried a couple of recipes and they are really good. We are carefully having meat in our diet so I appreciate cooking thoughtfully and slowly at home. I can't wait to try the chicken with tarragon,mustard, and cream. The garlic soup was delicious. I appreciate slow cooker recipes that don't call for "a packet of something" that is usually filled with salt or msg. This book uses real ingredients. Also, I'm now a complete fan of duck confit and it's uses. I was already in love with my s...more
Jenne Kopalek
Scicolone takes the art of French cuisine and implements simplicity. The Garlic Soup, Dijon Style Cornish Hens, Red Wine Braised Pot Roast, and Normandy Pork with Apples are a few dishes that are elegant yet simple to cook in your slow cooker. The history of dishes and regions they reign from are fascinating tidbits through out the book.
Jewel Mead
This recipe book uses fresh ingredients, no boxed or canned items. For instance the Butternut Squash Bisque, Tomato-Fennel Soup, Creamy Zucchini Soup & Potato Leek Soup are all very simple easy recipes, not overly spiced, allowing for the clean flavor of the beautiful vegetables to dominate the dish. Many lovely full paged photographs.
Cayce
I love my crock pot and I love food with layers and flare and this wonderful book incorporates all of these elements. It's possible that I may even purchase (gasp) this book rather than trying my luck at borrowing it when I need it; although I did copy down several recipies. Bon appitite!
Lisa Davis-craig
While an interesting book to glance at, I am afraid I was not motivated to try any of the recipes. If I had a larger slow cooker, I might have tried the souffles which needed a dish to be placed in the slow cooker.
David Ward
The French Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)(641.5944) has some great ideas and made me hungry, which is rare for a crockpot cookbook. My rating: 6/10, finished 10/10/12.
Clara Dearmore Strom
This book has some great recipes. I usually find that most slow cookers have recipes that I've already made under another name. I plan to make several of the recipes.
Leslie Hickman
Yum! I love how some of my favorites I already cook with a zillion of pots & pans have been converted for the slow cooker! I'm so pumped up!
Lee
there were a lot of recipes i would like to try, i thought it might be intimidating, but looks doable.
Tina
Had the pork and apples last night--yummy! very accessible French recipes. Good "peasant" food.
Heather
I want to make every recipe in this book. They all look and sound so deliciously easy!
Beth
I'm dying to try the Rillette recipe! I stole a few recipes from this cookbook.
Shaunna
This was okay. I prefer easier recipes, some sounded a little odd to me.
Lisa
Dec 06, 2011 Lisa marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
PW has a photo of a crustless broccoli quiche. YUM.
Danielle
I wouldn't mind owning this.
elizabeth
elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Meotzi
Meotzi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michele Scicolone is an award winning food writer and the author of 16 cookbooks. Her latest book, THE ITALIAN SLOW COOKER, was published in January 2010. She is also one of the editors of the 75th Anniversary edition of the classic, Joy of Cooking, and writes about food, wine, and travel for many publications, including Prevention Magazine, The Washington Post, The Wine Spectator, and Bon Appetit...more
More about Michele Scicolone...
The Italian Slow Cooker The Mediterranean Slow Cooker 1,000 Italian Recipes Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Italian: Recipes and techniques for delicious Italian meals Pizza: Any Way You Slice It!