Start by marking “Fowl Weather” as Want to Read:
Fowl Weather

Fowl Weather

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In Bob Tarte's home, pandemonium is the order of the day, and animals literally rule the roost—thirty-nine of them at last count. Whether it's the knot-tying African grey parrot, or the overweight cat who's trained Bob to hold her water bowl just above the floor, or the nightmarish duck who challenges him to a shoving match, this menagerie, along with his endlessly optimis ...more
Published March 16th 2007 by Algonquin Books (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fowl Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fowl Weather

Marley and Me by John GroganDewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOogy by Larry LevinAlex & Me by Irene M. Pepperberg
Animal Memoirs
40th out of 205 books — 114 voters
The Big Year by Mark ObmascikThe Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill by Mark BittnerThe Urban Birder by David LindoMind of the Raven by Bernd HeinrichClub George by Bob Levy
For the Love of Birds
36th out of 148 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Hope
Feb 05, 2008 Hope rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
I got this at the library after hearing Nancy Pearl recommend it,as a humorous book. Now, either NP and I have vastly different views on what is humor, or she read the first book by this author, and not this one. While there were some chuckle moments, I would not classify this as humor in any way - the author's father dies, his mother gets Alzheimer's, many pets die, he is depressed much of the time - distinctly unfunny. The events were, in reality, spread out over a period of 5 or so years, but ...more
Cheryl
Don't judge - these ppl are all too human, doing the best they can to help innocent critters. I, personally, would *not* save the life of a starling (invasive species in US), but then I don't face all the challenges Bob and Linda do, either. Just enjoy the antics and feel the heart.

Impulse grab at the library - wish I'd known how much I would have appreciated waiting to read this until *after* Enslaved by Ducks (and so now I've got to go back and read that).
Erin
Ah well. I probably should have payed more attention to the title, "FOWL Weather". While it is still quite funny at times (I really enjoy Tarte's humor), it was difficult to feel lighthearted given the number of animal injuries and deaths, as well as the account of the steady decline of Tarte's mother into Alzheimer's. I picked this up to take a respite from life's stresses and instead found myself feeling stressed out by someone else's continuous bad fortune!! In addition, there is this strange ...more
Sandy D.
A low-key but engaging memoir by a rather neurotic writer who lives on a farm in western Michigan, on the banks of the Grand River. It's not a working farm, but a sort of sanctuary for ducks and geese that people keep giving the author and his wife (this is a sequel to "Enslaved by Ducks"). They also have a bunch of indoor birds (a couple of parrots, a mourning dove, a canary), some cats, and a couple of rabbits.

The pet stories are amusing, and provide a light counterpoint to the wrenching but s
If you're looking for a light-hearted follow-up to Enslaved by Ducks, this chronicle of one emotional disaster after another probably isn't what you're expecting. While there are still plenty of animal anecdotes, the main focus is on the author's human-related issues following his father's death and his mother's decline into Alzheimer's. Though he maintains his tongue-in-cheek delivery throughout, the author's own descent into depression heavily colors the writing, making this book far darker (a ...more
Erin
How disappointing. While the book does include some fun stories and an amazing array of animals, it's in large part about the death of the author's father, the spiral of his mother into the chasm of Alzheimers', and his own struggles with depression and anxiety. When the book appears to be a light-hearted, fast, fun read and that's what you're expecting, this is a real downer. I probably should have saved myself the time and quit partway through, I did finish it.
Amy
Make sure you read his other book, Enslaved by Ducks, first.

This book was a bit darker than the other one, but I still loved it. Bob Tarte has a wonderful humorous way of describing things. I did get a little tired of his lasting depression every time one of his animals passed. It felt a little repetitive.

I wish there were more videos online, so we could meet some of his animals. On Youtube, there are a handful of videos him and Bill Holm put together. They are bizarre and give a different imp
Kate
I really enjoyed this book. I imagine my partner and I will be very similar in a few decates.
Debbie
I hope Bob Tarte is hard at work on another book about his animals, wife, friends and family. I've thoroughly enjoyed both of his books.
Start with Bob's first book, Enslaved by Ducks, so you can find out how all of these animals were adopted by Bob and his wife, Linda.
These books are more than just funny stories about animals. Bob shares stories about his friends and family, problems with depression, grief over the loss of his dad, his mother's increasing dementia. This is one of my favorite qu
Cayr
In this funny and touching follow-up to his memoir Enslaved by Ducks, Bob Tarte reminds me of a sapling on a hill, buffeted by the winds of a gathering storm. While bits and pieces of his life swirl around him spiraling out of control, and Bob finds himself unable to affect the weather, all he can do is put his head down and turn a shoulder to the wind and stand his ground.
Tarte’s humorous musings about life’s mysteries both past and present create a comical thread throughout his narrative. As
David Erickson
This isn't the kind of book I normally read, but the cover was intriguing and since we've populated our current lives with cats, dogs and chickens, it looked as if it might be an entertainig read.

The protagonist, I assume this is all about Bob, is a character frought with foibles and genetic limitations and attributes far too common. I truly feel for his long suffering wife and enjoyed the fact that the creatures populating his tale shine with individualism. Each of our chickens, bird brains tha
Natalie Laufer
Another lovely read

Another lovely read

by Mr. Tarts. All his books have a great deal to recommend themselves to the reader. One feels immensely sympathetic to his obvious existential despair, tempered by what can only be termed his brave humor. Mr. Tarts, you aren't alone, and your tales are heartwarming. More! Makes us feel less alone in the universe. The best to you, your family, both human and otherwise.
Lisa
"How 39 animals and 1 sock monkey took over my life."

Bob Tarte opens a window into his world, a world of feathers, whiskers and floppy ears. Bob and his wife, Linda, live in Michigan with countless ducks, geese, rabbits and cats and are plagued by an old schoolmate who enjoys funerals, butting in and rehousing pampered ducks. Bob Tarte shares 5 years with us, some moments laugh-out-loud funny and others heart breakingly poinant.

From the first page I was hooked. I found myself laughing, crying an
Peter
Disappointing - billed as humor, and there was some, but overall a book about a man suffering from anxiety and depression and having difficulty handling life's challenges. So while there were light parts and some entertaining and eccentric characters, I felt more pity than humor.
Anne
Writing is painfully self aware and tries so hard to be witty. I couldn't stand it.
Keli Wright
So I felt like I was reading this guys diary... it is more a diary than a book like this is my crazy life...well I have a crazy life too.. maybe I should write a book... and he talked a LOT OF TRASH ABOUT people and named them by NAME...like I hope you would be OK if someone did the same about you...I do think though if I met him we would be friends because we could talk about all our crazy life experiences.. and well I don't blame him for naming Eileen by name because she drove him CRAZY!!!
Bridget Wright
Jan 08, 2013 Bridget Wright rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Noone
Shelves: quit-readig
I'm only 39 percent through this book and will not be finishing it. I am an animal lover and had such high hopes for this book. Not only did I not find any humor in it, I was disgusted by the deaths of the animals and the gruesome descriptions of some of their deaths. I am so very thankful that I didn't spend $11.99 on it but at the same time I am disgusted at the fact that I wasted $1.99 on it as well.
Sue
I loved Bob's first book, Enslaved by Ducks. As a pet owner, I can relate to the lengths he goes to to care for his pets. I was really excited to read the follow up, but have been a little dissapointed. There are less comedic stories about the myriad of pets, and more talking about depression and death. Still enjoyable, but the first was far better.
Catherine
We had a disaster while I was reading this book: coyotes killed two of our ducks, the alpha female and Gimpy, the crippled male. We were heartsick, and for a while I couldn't finish reading Fowl Weather. I couldn't enjoy this book as I did the first one, but I know it is good. Bob Tarte's website still quacks me up: http://www.bobtarte.com/
Breanna
I liked this one as much as his first book. I can totally relate to Bob and Linda. Ive had quite a large mix of pets myself. I can understand how they may be a lot of work but the love they give makes up for it. They may stress you out one minute, but make you laugh the next. I can't picture my life without pets!
Raj
This books was so great. I didn't expect to like it but the stories really warmed my heart as cheesy as that sounds. As an animal lover I totally related to the author. And it's set right outside of Grand Rapids in Michigan. This book helped me ignore my crappy apartment on Iowa St. and the crappy winter with now snow.
Geeka
Aug 30, 2007 Geeka rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal people
This book was a continuation of the first book, Enslaved by Ducks, which I enjoyed as light reading. This book was a little darker, given that the author does discuss some non-animal family related issues. However, if you are a pet lover, you will understand and chuckle at the happenings in the book.
Naomi
Mar 30, 2007 Naomi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mom
Not as light-hearted as his first book, Enslaved by Ducks, but quirky-funny. This book covers the next several years and includes the departure of a favored parrot, the death of Tarte's father, and his mother's descent into Alzheimer's. It doesn't sound as though it could be funny, but it is.
Ilsabe
Jul 27, 2011 Ilsabe added it
This is the story of a man struggling with his father's death, his mother's dementia, and the death of various deeply loved pets. Well written, but difficult to finish as the author's depressed state was such a dominant presence and hard to take in large doses.
Jessie
This was a cute and funny book. The author was able to make me laugh with his tale of his many animals. Plus he was able to bring some humor to sad subjects such as his dad dying and his mother's alzheimer's. I look forward to reading his other book.
Sonia
It wasn't as full of funny animal stories as "Enslaved by Ducks," in fact it was pretty depressing, since a lot of the characters you grew to love in the first book met their demise in this one. However, it ended satisfactory.
Joanie
Dark mostly-autobiographical humor about Bob and Linda Tarte's animal and human families. Bob Tarte's first novel, Enslaved by Ducks, was lighter and funnier, I think, whereas this one is darker and a little weird.
Stephanie A.
Accurate title is accurate. There were still some cute mentions of animals, but this time they mostly seem to hang out on the fringes (and/or die) while we hear all about his spiraling depression and family problems.
Deborah
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did Enslaved by Ducks. This one seemed rather odd and Tarte was always putting himself down. Still, I read the whole thing, but it took me awhile.
Lauri
Aug 11, 2011 Lauri added it
I liked this book. I laughed out loud several times, but there were many sad parts, too - as the author dealt with pets dying and his mother's advancing dementia. Overall, a good read.
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness
  • Altruistic Armadillos, Zenlike Zebras
  • That Quail, Robert
  • The Dog Next Door: And Other Stories of the Dogs We Love
Bob Tarte lives on the edge of a mink-infested, shoe-sucking swamp in West Michigan with his long suffering wife, Linda. Bob is the author of the books "Kitty Cornered," "Enslaved by Ducks," and "Fowl Weather."

Every Friday from 12:30-1:00 pm ET, one of the cats from "Kitty Cornered" answers lifestyle questions from other cats. Catch the LIVE cat comedy @BobTarte #Ask6Cats.
More about Bob Tarte...
Enslaved by Ducks Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home

“Linda hadn't exaggerated her fear of the golden orb weaver spider. Up north at her cabin in Morley, I had once teased her by asking "Have we ever seen this kind of vireo before?" And then, instead of showing her a photo of a bird, I thrust a picture of the black-and-yellow spider at her. She shrieked. I laughed. Oh, the fun we had.” 3 likes