Start by marking “Amiche” as Want to Read:
Amiche

Amiche

3.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
As important as friends are to women--essential, after all, to their identity as human beings--other roles in their lives get most of the ink: their lovers, spouses, children, and family. Girlfriends lovingly--and somewhat exhaustively--spotlights female comradeship. This book (which screams, "Buy me as a gift!") is simply a collection of women speaking about aspects of th ...more
Published June 2002 by TEA (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Amiche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amiche

Erika
Nov 03, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful collection of the ways in which we love our girlfriends, Invisible Bonds Enduring Ties is a book I hope every woman has the privilege to identify with. Authors Berry and Traeder capture the facets of how and why we love the women in our life and how they can impact our lives. From roommates to childhood friends, those next door to those across the world, women we speak to multiple times per day or once a year, weddings to cancer treatments, readers can smile reflecting on the connec ...more
Tara
Dec 08, 2008 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this okay. In fact I would have given it 2.5 if that was an option, which I guess rounds up to 3.

What I liked: It gives a number of short anecdotes describing various aspects of friendship between women. While the anecdotes were mostly too short to be very meaningful, they made me reflect on a lot of my friendships in life, and that part I liked. Makes me want to record some of the thoughts it brought to mind in writing and maybe share with some of the friends that inspired them.

What I d
Jeanne
Jan 18, 2009 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a Christmas gift from my best friend. It was extremely sentimental to me to get a book about the strong bonds between friends, especially when she is leaving in two weeks. The book just made me look back on all the friendships I've had with various people. It tells stories of new friendships, forgiveness, betrayal, lasting friendships through marriage and kids, people who move far away but still remain close with that one special friend. It gave me some hope that no matter how ...more
Julie Barrett
Feb 03, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girlfriends, invisible bonds by Carmen Renee Berry and Tamara Trader
Female friendships are vital to a woman's growth. Opinions and bonds throughout a woman's life, starting at childhood stage.
Lots of stories through tough times and fun times. Authors ask for your stories to maybe include in their next book.
Lesley Looper
I read this book quite a while ago, my guess is nearly 20 years ago. I remember enjoying it well enough then, I could probably use a reread of it, considering how I'm in a different stage in my life now, but there are so many other books waiting to be read!
Krista
Sep 30, 2014 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute gift for a friend. Me & my friends are mentioned in here by one of our mothers. Huge sentimental value in that!
Kimster
A book about the whole experience of friendships. Why they last, what to do when they don't, how to be a better friend, and all other facets of friendship. I wrote a note in mine and gave it to a friend hoping it could be a pass around book but I don't think she ever read it and she returned it to me even after I told her to keep it and pass it on to someone else when she was done. I'm certain she never even opened the front cover. So it's been sitting on my shelf for 10 years. I'm taking it to ...more
Tatyana
May 14, 2016 Tatyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about female relationships.
Angela Leddy Young
Disappointing read.
Turton12
Interesting thoughts
Nancy Zorn
Feb 04, 2013 Nancy Zorn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Received this book in a batch of hand-me-downs. I brought it with me on a trip I took to Bali with my girlfriend. It seemed appropriate. The book is filled with short stories about women, our life phases, and our ever present girlfriends. It was OK. Nothing earth shattering. I didn't feel compelled to keep it, so I passed it on to my girlfriend with the instructions that she, too, should pass it along. It's short. If a copy comes your way, it's worth a read.
Carol
I just couldn't get into this book. It jumped from one pair of friends to another, giving only snippets of their relationships. I have the best of best girlfriends, am experiencing the joys of it and feel no need to read about that of others.

I would have liked to have read of more practical ways to develop more friendships like the one I have but this book did not deliver.
Maria Murray
Aug 09, 2009 Maria Murray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to give this book a chance...but couldn't get past page 40. There is only so much you can read about other people's friendships. And each is only a couple of paragraphs. It's not like even shore stories.
Dawn
Jun 01, 2011 Dawn marked it as books-i-could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
This just was not holding my interest right now. I'm ahead of schedule on books I've read for the year, so I don't feel like slowing my momentum down with a book that is not entertaining me.
Melissa Bee
Jan 16, 2013 Melissa Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised. It was an enjoyable read and make me take a look at my life and "girlfriends". I was a bit saddened when I reflected on the quality of "girlfriends" I've had and been.
Margaret
Mar 23, 2008 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I didn't like this book. It was a collection of stories, etc., but not very engaging in my opinion. I found myself reading the words, but really getting nothing out of the stories at all.
Christina
Apr 02, 2012 Christina marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
just reading this to torture myself and hopefully give me some clue as to how to make close friends. found it at the thrift store calling out to me.
Mary
Jun 27, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good read.
Recommended to Mary by: my best friend
My best friend gave me this book for Christmas. I really enjoyed the book. I could identify with a lot of the women in the book.
Dale
Apr 01, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
This was a quick read. Although I did not learn one new thing, it validated what I already know and treasure about my girlfriends.
Shilo
Jun 02, 2009 Shilo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book to read! It gave me a chance to ponder my own friendships. What a fun thing to do: remember and appreciate our friends!!
Laura Lee
There was a few good parts but nothing exciting or particularly inspiring. Old book sitting on my shelf that I thought I better finish.
Patty
Jan 15, 2009 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That girlfriends are so important in my life,,,,,especially when I grew up without a sister.
Kaylani
Oct 30, 2012 Kaylani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was so full of cliche that the stories that were good were drowned out.

Not. Worth. Reading.
Robin Kaplan
Enjoyed the short stories, but they were written made the book and okay read.
Sue
Jul 08, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
A book every women should share with her girlfiends
Penny
Feb 21, 2015 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of blah really.
Melanie
It was sweet and honest.
Libby
Jan 17, 2010 Libby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lite, gender
highly gendered, very mushy.
Liz Novak
Jan 22, 2013 Liz Novak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not good
Hieu Ho
Hieu Ho rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • Perfect Weight: The Complete Mind-Body Program for Achieving and Maintaining Your Ideal Weight
  • Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More
  • The Grrl Genius Guide to Sex (with Other People): A Self-Help Novel