Start by marking “In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk” as Want to Read:
In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk

In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk

It's a Mod, Mod World! When there are gnomes among the gears, and the mists of magic mingle with the steam of tech, you know you've entered a realm where fantasy and science meet in an absolutely riveting collection of enchanting tales of steampunk adventure. In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk takes the best of both worlds and melds them into fiction that will absolut ...more
Published July 31st 2011 by Dark Quest, LLC (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In An Iron Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In An Iron Cage

R.a. Deckert
Jun 16, 2011 R.a. Deckert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and strange romp through the astonishing world of steampunk -- dirigibles! goggles! mechanical men! languid aristocrats! lots of steam!

This is science-as-magic, and these are the new fairy tales of our age.

A well put together collection of deftly selected and well-written stories, "In An Iron Cage" is a thoroughly enjoyable read for steampunk afficionados and might even turn a few of the people who are not yet certain about their feelings about the genre into true fans.
Talitha
Nov 24, 2012 Talitha rated it really liked it
Received from Goodreads First Reads

Wonderful collection of Steampunk! Enjoyed all the varied stories a lot!
MB Taylor
Jul 05, 2012 MB Taylor rated it it was ok
I finished reading In an Iron Cage last weekend. It was an interesting short story collection: fourteen stories that explore (more or less) the idea of magic in Steampunk universes. Some of the stories worked for me and some didn’t. I like both fantasy and well done Steampunk, but I’m not sure the combination works.

Of the 14 authors represented in this collection I was somewhat familiar with only one: C.J. Henderson, whose urban fantasy novel, Brooklyn Knight (2009), was disappointing.

The first
Star
Aug 22, 2012 Star rated it liked it
I am not always a big fan of anthologies and I have yet to truly get into the world of Steampunk, but I felt ‘In An Iron Cage’ gave me a nice cross-section of authors and flavors of Steampunk. There is a little bit of everything for everyone, so I’m sure other readers will find a few stories they enjoy out of this collection. Some of the stories I thought were too short and I would have liked to see them be a bit longer to replace some of the stories I thought were weaker or didn’t truly fit int ...more
Trinity
Sep 15, 2013 Trinity rated it liked it
There were some really good short stories, some ok ones, and one that seemed like a treatment for a video game. If you can check it ou of the library or get it used and enjoy steampunk give it a try.
Syspor
Syspor rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
Jennifer K. Oliver
Jennifer K. Oliver rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Cheryl Koblinsky
Cheryl Koblinsky rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2015
No User
No User rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Marta
Marta rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
ZaCK
ZaCK rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2012
Cat Treadwell
Cat Treadwell rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Pete731
Oct 06, 2013 Pete731 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall good collection of stories.
Danielle
Jun 15, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Thomas
Dec 27, 2011 Patrick Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dark Quest Books
Dark Quest Books rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2011
Shelly
Shelly rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
Dark Quest Books
Dark Quest Books rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Mark Mccarragher
Mark Mccarragher rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2011
James
Jun 16, 2011 James rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Seizure Romero
Seizure Romero rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2011
Danielle
Aug 04, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jevan
Jevan rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Danielle
Aug 04, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Young
Apr 22, 2013 Jeff Young rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Witchspell
Witchspell rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Steampunk Reads : Steampunk Book Giveaway 1 50 Aug 18, 2011 03:32AM
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • By Any Other Name (The Sauder Diaries, #1)
  • Flaming London
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Thomas Riley
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Like Clockwork
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • The Wake of the Dragon: A Steampunk Adventure
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • An Airship Named Desire (Take to the Skies, #1)
  • Steampunk Emporium: Creating Fantastical Jewelry, Devices and Oddments from Assorted Cogs, Gears and Curios
  • A Clockwork Christmas
Award-winning author and editor Danielle Ackley-McPhail has worked both sides of the publishing industry for longer than she cares to admit. In 2014 she joined forces with husband Mike McPhail and friend Greg Schauer to form her own publishing house, eSpec Books (www.especbooks.com).

Her published works include six novels, Yesterday's Dreams, Tomorrow's Memories, Today’s Promise, The Halfling’s Co
More about Danielle Ackley-McPhail...