Start by marking “City of Secrets” as Want to Read:
City of Secrets

City of Secrets (Miranda Corbie Mystery #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Miranda Corbie is back in this sequel toCity of Dragons."Impressive...Stanley's hard-boiled, strong female sleuth stalks Hammett's San Francisco and does the job with all the panache of Sam Spade. Readers will eagerly await the next installment in this exciting new series." --Booklist (starred)

When Pandora Blake ismurdered at San Francisco's 1940 World Fair and her bodymar
Published September 13th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about City of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Secrets

Monica
Set in San Francisco in 1940, this story is a reminder that the good old days had some pretty horrific stuff happening. Racism and sexism were rampant, eugenics was regarded as cutting edge science, domestic terrorists both left and right were blowing things up to prove their points. Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford and a lot of other folks thought the Nazis were on the right track and we should leave them alone. Father Coughlin was spewing race hatred over the airwaves.

In the midst of this,priv
Debbie Maskus
Sometimes, I am amazed by what I do not know, and the eugenics in the United States during the 1930's to 1950's has really shocked me. I know about the terrible treatment of the blacks in the South, but this points to the perils of being Jewish in America, while Hitler exterminates European Jews. Miranda has not lost her grit and stamina, but her smoking has diminished, a little. Parts of the story sends chills up my spine, to think of the suffering of the oppressed. Stanley presents a San Franc ...more
Paul Pessolano
“City of Secrets” by Kelli Stanley, published by Minotaur Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Miranda Corbie was a prostitute; she is now a Private Investigator.

The story is set in 1940 during the World’s Fair in San Francisco. Pandora Blake, a model/performer, is found dead and her body is marked with the word “Jew”. This becomes significant in the light that Hitler is now marching towards Paris and the world is becoming aware of his hatred for the Jews.

Miranda finds herself practically alone when
Marlyn
The second of Kelli Stanley's noir series featuring private investigator Miranda Corbie begins on May 25, 1940, the opening day of the second season of the Golden Gate International Exposition in San Francisco.

Miranda is called to the discovery of a murdered performer, a young model by the name of Pandora Blake, who was stabbed and then had an anti-Semitic insult written on her chest with her own blood. Even though Miranda is an employee of Sally Rand Enterprises, fair management tell her she's
Jennifer Chow
A solid book with the same exacting historical detail that makes Stanley's books so intriguing. I liked the political background, but since it was stuff I'd encountered before, it didn't pull me in as much as City of Dragons. Also, the scope of the book started out larger and then narrowed considerably as it reached its conclusion.

Although I liked Miranda previously, she started growing thin on me in this sequel. She's still got a feisty attitude, which is great, but she seemed to deliberately
Vinita
I picked up this book with high expectations, looking for a taut storyline and an engaging plot. The bitter, angry tone of the protagonist starts off being refreshing, but becomes grating very quickly. The portrayal of San Francisco is interesting.
My main issue with the book is that the plot never really delivers a punch, though you keep hoping for one till the end.
Rachel
I won a copy of City of Secrets through Goodreads Firstreads.
Pros:
Excellent sense of the time period
Some nice historic detail
Original plot

Cons:
HIGH F-word count
WAY too much time wasted describing lighting and putting out cigarettes
2nd in Series, really not able to read out of order

Hard-boiled, foul (FOUL)-mouthed, and foul tempered, Miranda Corbie is a former prostitute turned private investigator. She’s also a serious chain-smoker who can’t make up her mind if she’s really trying to quit o
Cora
I liked this one marginally better than the first in the series, although the same complaints apply: the heroine is too enigmatic for me and the hard-boiled style gets a bit over the top!
Chazzi
Tough talking, cigarette smoking, whiskey drinking, good with a gun P.I., who is a stunner in a skirt—Miranda Corbie. Comparable with the likes of Sam Spade, Philip Marlow and Mike Shayne, Miranda can hold her own while digging for the real story behind the framing of a cop she has no like for but is getting paid for her work.

Miranda not only deals with the violence of two murders, but also the characters that inhabit the under world of the 1940 Golden Gate International Exposition in San Franci
Chris
Disclosures: This was a giveaway on Goodreads. I also have not read the first book in the series.

The beginning of this one was a bit up and down for me. I had trouble getting into the language and feel, perhaps because while I am a mystery lover, noir is not one of my favorite styles. This was likely compounded by the fact that I didn't read the first book in the series and missed a lot of background. The narrative jumps around with the main character's thoughts a bit, is sometimes a bit disjoin
Hallie
Miranda Corbie, the character at the heart of Kelli Stanley’s “City of Secrets,’’ combines the tropes of femme fatale and wisecracking private dick. She’s a hard drinking, chain smoking, spunky dame who would shoot me as soon as look at me for calling her spunky.

This sequel to Stanley’s “City of Dragons’’ is set in 1940 in San Francisco at the World’s Fair where Miranda provides private security. There, Sally Rand runs the cooch tent and calls Miranda “the best protection my girls got on the Gay
JeanneBee
If you love San Francisco and noir this is the book for you. Ms. Stanley knows and appreciates the character of the City and as a result the landscape is a secondary character.

{San Francisco} "redolent and glistening with sing and lamplight, forever a girl you didn't take home to Mother.

"She knew better, of course. San Francisco didn't belong to anybody but her."

"Steamships and sailing ships, pale billows puffing on wind ripped through the gate, more green than golden. Muddy streets, horse manu
Judith Starkston
Kelli Stanley has come out with the second in her Miranda Corbie mystery series set in San Francisco in the 30’s and 40’s—this time someone’s killing Jewish women, women whose place on the edges of society makes them particularly vulnerable. No one’s going to step up and bring them justice—or so the powers that be hope. They didn’t count on Miranda.

Previously I’ve reviewed Kelli’s Roman series, which I love (Nox Dormienda and The Curse-Maker ), but City of Dragons and now City of Secrets are j
Mark
It's a man's world. San Francisco in the 1940s. No place for a dame. Yeah, don't tell that to Stanley's hard-boiled female PI, Miranda Corbie, fedora and all.
Two girls are dead, stabbed and left with the word `kike' drawn on their naked body with their own blood. Europe is at war and some factions in the States are dealing with their own anti-Semitic problems. Aryans in America. In this second of a series, following "City of Dragons," Stanley's noir masterpiece takes us into a dark realm of the
Esil
I won this book on Goodreads. I hate to be negative about a book that was a freebie by a relatively unknown author, but this book was not my cup of tea. I liked the idea of a mystery set in San Francisco in the 1940s featuring a female detective. But the writing and narrative didn't work for me. The story was very fragmented and the writing seemed choppy. I also found the detective Miranda somewhat irritating and unrealistic for a character set in the 1940's. But I see that this book has receive ...more
Malka Essock
when i read the first one. i wasn't sure if i would like it (i did, very much) reading, this one, it was like "oh yay, i get to visit with Miranda Corbie again!" interesting ending.... i can't wait to read the next one.
Monkey King
I have read "City of Dragons" as well as a short story that featured Miranda Corbie. "City of Secrets" was good. I have to say that I was more drawn into "city of dragons" but I still liked this one. Being a native to SF, it was really neat to read about the scene in 1940 San Francisco. I liked the world fair environment that Miranda's world is in. I like Miranda and that she is tough but not invincible. I like the drinking and smoking and dialogue. Kelli Stanley did a fine follow up to the firs ...more
Hannah Rae
Woah! This was really good. Miranda is such an interesting character and I found myself unable to put this book down because I wanted to know what she would find out. I need to get my hands on Stanley's first book now!
Harvey
2.5

This is the sophomore entry in this series featuring Miranda Corbie, P.I. The best thing about this series is the authentic feel of the 1940's San Francisco that Stanley creates. Corbie is a tough broad with an interesting past (a former "escort", a socialist who fought in Spain).

Corbie is working security at the Treasure Island World's Fair when several girls turn up dead. A decent who-dunit with a cast of suspects including anti-semitic Nazi-sypathizers and mobsters.

Points off for misspelli
Susan
disappointing. old song references on almost every page got very tiresome. as did the repetitive depressing inner thoughts of the main character. surprising end however.
Quwanyshia
Aug 18, 2012 Quwanyshia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: love
A wonderfully written mystery, it kept me suspended in case of a tragic event. The life of Miranda Corbie is dramatic it will come off the pages if you allow it. So come hope aboard along with this sassy lady who doesn't know when to give up. She's the justice we strive for, the justice that defeats our so called "justice". A woman in a man's world but Ms.Corbie will make you think differently, this world is for both men and women and the rotten eventually get their due justice served right in t ...more
Ellen Dark
The story was interesting, but the product placement was nonstop, and I had to do a lot of mental bleeping of the text.
John Wintersteen
Aug 03, 2014 John Wintersteen marked it as wish-list-possibles  ·  review of another edition
2d book in series
Richard Brand
All the fun of character and city are still there. The subject and the crime are very interesting and different from other books. I thought that at the end the author just had to punt and make up a murderer as the solution just kind of came out of the blue. I will read some more of Miranda when it is available.
Serge
I received my copy via a Goodreads.com giveaway. This detective story was a very pleasant surprise, and I found myself charmed by the main character, the private detective, Miranda Corbie. Any reader who is familiar with the Bay Area (in California), where the novel is set, will receive extra pleasure.
Amy
Story is good and book is enjoyable. I wish there was a little more character development within main characters and sub-characters. At times I felt like there were pieces of missing within the story for me to know why the main character came to her conclusions. But all in all, it was an enjoyable read.
Christopher
Miranda Corbie is a tough broad. Stanley's second book with this character delves a little deeper into her character. She continues to explore the lives of the people of San Francisco who not welcome in the Greatest Generation. I look forward to where this character is going in future books.
GlenK
This excellent private eye thriller - the second of the Miranda Corbie series - weaves a genuinely sinister plot line into an evocative 1940 San Francisco setting. A strong protagonist (who drinks and smokes lots!), well drawn supporting characters, and style to burn.
Beth
This is the second book in the Miranda Corbie series, and as full of noir-ish goodness as the first. I actually found Miranda's state of mind easier to follow in this one, and again enjoyed Stanley's portrayal of 1930s-40s San Francisco.
Holly West
I loved this novel. I felt completely immersed in 1940 San Francisco and Miranda Corbie shines. There's also a hint of what's to come for Miranda, which gives me hope she can find some happiness, or at least peace, in her future.
Read by Theme: City of Secrets by Kelli Stanley 1 15 Aug 03, 2013 08:48PM
  • A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel, #3)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • You Might As Well Die (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #2)
  • More Than Sorrow
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • The Berkeley Square Affair
  • Hurricane: A Novel
  • A Bad Day for Mercy (Bad Day, #4)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
  • Damage Control
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • The Little Death
  • The Deathly Portent (A Lady Fan Mystery, #2)
  • Lost in the Light
  • Guinevere Evermore (Guinevere, #3)
  • Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
An award-winning author of crime fiction, Kelli Stanley's first novel in the Miranda Corbie series, CITY OF DRAGONS, was met with overwhelming critical acclaim. It won the Macavity Award (Sue Feder Historical Mystery Award) and was a finalist for the prestigious Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Shamus Award. CITY OF SECRETS, her second novel in the series, won the Golden Nugget Award for best ...more
More about Kelli Stanley...

Miranda Corbie Mystery (3 books)
  • City of Dragons
  • City of Ghosts: A Mystery
City of Dragons Nox Dormienda: A Long Night for Sleeping The Curse-Maker (Roman Noir, #2) City of Ghosts: A Mystery Memory Book: A Miranda Corbie Story