Start by marking “Back to Eden: Authorized Kloss Family Edition” as Want to Read:
Back to Eden: Authorized Kloss Family Edition

Back to Eden: Authorized Kloss Family Edition

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
671 pages. Paperback, 4 1/4 X 7".
Published June 1st 1984 by Back to Eden Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Back to Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to Eden

Kate Christensen
Jan 11, 2009 Kate Christensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I felt like it was well worth the effort to get through. However, I feel that to get the most out of Kloss' book, you need to find one that was published while he was alive. There are revisions in here that are appalling. Things that he preached against have been put in by editors or his kids or whoever to make it seem like he believed in it (ie vaccinations). Some things are obvious, but others aren't. I plan on finding an older copy for myself.
DJ Harris
May 06, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to DJ by: Nora Edwards
Jehtro Kloss was a great healer. He dedicated his life to learning, and teaching, about; nutrition, personal rights, freedoms, and herbalism. This incredible book was a compulation of his life's work.

I love this book! Use it all the time. A close friend entrusted it to me and I make good use of it. If you want to find out about natural herbs and remedies for various ailments, this book has a wealth of information. Inside the pages of this masterpiece Jehtro Kloss even discusses his personal lif
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
(Also posted on my site The Paperback Stash)

Jethro Kloss was a true healer and crusader for nutrition, personal rights, freedoms, and herbalism. This huge book was his biggest work and deserves to be celebrated for what it is: a lifetime gathering of intense study and dedication to the good of man. And why, yes, I DO live to sound dramatic.

He discusses everything he can think of here. While some of his viewpoints and procedures are now frowned upon - and a few of the herbal remedies taken to the
Tyshawn Knight
Apr 22, 2013 Tyshawn Knight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are knew to herbal cooking, healthy cooking, gardening, healing yourself then you must begin your journey to healthy living with this book. Consider it America's herb Bible. You will want to buy this and keep it in your library because you will have to refer to it often. In fact, I am on my third copy. I bought my first copy in 1989 and I still have ripped cover on my third copy because I use it so much.
Pamela Kemp
Aug 26, 2012 Pamela Kemp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-books
Back to Eden is often referred to as the bible or herbal medicine. It is a must have for anyone interested in gardening and the healing properties of plants. I never finish reading this book because I refer to it over and over again.
Doug
Jul 04, 2008 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in natural health. Especially important for western/eclectic herbalists. Even though i doubt I'll ever agree with him about soy it was amazing how much Jethro intuitively new.
K
Aug 05, 2009 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This obviously isn't a book that you would read through as if it were a novel, but it is an amazing source of information for those who are just a TINY bit leery of the side affects of modern medicine.
Kirsty
Apr 09, 2009 Kirsty is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is very interesting so far... I like how he tries to work with the body to heal using diet, baths and massage, and Herbs (in that order), but I'm only two chapters into it soo....
Jared Collier
Nov 04, 2009 Jared Collier is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is very helpful in telling you how to eat, how to prepare it, how to treat illness, etc... I would advise anyone to read this book, but beware it is a very rare book.
Annie
Dec 28, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fabulous! A must read for anyone wanting to learn the truth about foods, or looking for an introduction into herbal medicine?
Sky
Nov 12, 2014 Sky rated it really liked it
this is a book that makes me want to walk up to people and start shacking them while I yell "How come we've forgotten how to be humans?!"
Jenni Wilson
Jan 30, 2008 Jenni Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great do-it-yourself health information. Some of it's probably a little outdated, but it's still a great reference.
Vernita Naylor
Back To Eden is a book that my mother raised me on for over 30 years and I used it for my daughter as I raised her. Personally I have not read the extended version because I have the old one still from 1973 which I am still using today. I will review the newer version soon but not now, so my review is actually on the older version. I am sure that the extended edition is far greater.

Now in my older years I am still using a lot of the eating, bathing, health and teas that is displayed in it. We ar
Peter
Sep 02, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all responsible teens & adults
Recommended to Peter by: My sister
The edition I read & used was earlier than this one ( the 70's or 80's ? ) It is amazing for anyone who want's to understand more about specific health-giving properties of natural foods or use natural remedies & foods to improve their health, or overcome a long list of illnesses.

Using a diet of natural / fresh foods high in sulfur,I managed to clear up a girlfriend's serious case of acne in just one week !
Michelle  Eging
Feb 03, 2012 Michelle Eging rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very resourceful book. Since reading it, I've been more conscientious about what I eat and have been using herbs to heal my body rather than manufactured chemicals. The only reason I didn't give it 5 starts is that it's kinda like reading an encyclopedia, which can get tedious. I'm happy I persevered though, as the information in the last chapter was just as useful as that in the first.
Ginger
Feb 24, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in frugal natural healing
Recommended to Ginger by: The School of Natural Healing
I liked this one. This time through I read it quickly and didn't take notes. I will definitely sit down and gleen what I can from this man. I can see where Dr. Christopher got his writing style, since this book read very much like one of DC's. He was one to work on a problem with what he had on hand. His advise on food is interesting, but I'm not sure what I think about it yet. Good read.
Ludmirska
Surprising absence of reference to vinegar, other than in an article on pickles...

Also, this book was written before gluten or other allergies came into picture...

Love chapters on herbs, though recipes chapter left me unmoved, it did not seem very practical or relevant for today, 71 years since the original copyright date...
Mylinda
Nov 25, 2009 Mylinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: herb
Read this in connection to a correspondence course on herbal education that I am taking. Interesting that the author knew about the health problems relating to processed food in the early part of the 1900s when it seems like it is a "new discovery" by current authors decrying the same today.
Jennifer LovesBooks
Mar 18, 2008 Jennifer LovesBooks rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE. I HAVE TRIED SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS IN THE BOOK AND EVERY ONE I HAVE TRIED HAS WORKED. THIS GOES TO SHOW THAT MEDICINE CAN BE POISON TO THE BODY. THE BODY IS INCREDIBLE. WE JUST NED TO TAKE BETTER CARE OF IT AND USE THE RIGHT METHODS TO CURE IT.
Theresa
Jun 08, 2010 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is for my correspondence class with Susun Weed. It's known as a classic of heroic medicine. My mother's father used it and my mother had a copy when I was growing. I remember looking at the illustration of a fish with a tumor and deciding to go vegetarian.
Stacy Crandall
Dec 09, 2011 Stacy Crandall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: SMC
This is similar to Culpepper's Complete Herbal. Jethro Kloss is a more recent figure than Culpepper and this edition includes lengthy letters from his three children, giving insight into the author and what life was like living with him.
captain america
lots of budding veggie hippies read this book back in the 60s & 70s. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially ideas from crackpot health food pioneers.
Jim
Dec 22, 2008 Jim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great information about nutrition, natural remedies, herbs, and good health stuff. It did not however, make me come up with a better word than "stuff" to describe it.
Jim George
This book was written way before infomercials, juicers, smoothies, health clubs and the like came into being. Informative in a 1960s kind of way!
Marianne Ogden
Nov 11, 2007 Marianne Ogden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a timeless resource for home remedies. I'm glad these have been written down. I actually tried some of them myself and they do work.
Stina
Nov 03, 2007 Stina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitchen
Home remedies for everything, with biblical references included!
Laura Peterson
I've read bits and pieces...good info, just lots of it!
Mike Gehrs
The book that started my health journey...1977
Carly
Jun 23, 2008 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reference book to have
Amy
Jul 11, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like my herb bible.
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The School of Natural Healing: The Reference Volume on Natural Herbs for the Teacher, Student or Herbal Practitioner
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • Easy Granola Bar Recipe
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
  • Urban Preppers with Kids, Pets &Parents
  • Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective?
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
Best known for his best-selling herbal Back to Eden, Jethro Kloss was one of America's earliest and most creative soyfoods pioneers.

In 1935, while living in Takoma Park, Washington, D.C., after several decades of studying and writing, Kloss published the first edition of what was to become his magnum opus, Back to Eden. A revised and geatly expanded edition was published in 1939. This edition bec
More about Jethro Kloss...