Start by marking “Understanding and Using English Grammar: With Answer Key” as Want to Read:
Understanding and Using English Grammar: With Answer Key

Understanding and Using English Grammar: With Answer Key

A classic developmental skills text for intermediate to advanced students of English, Understanding and Using English Grammar is a comprehensive reference grammar as well as a stimulating and teachable classroom text. While keeping the same basic approach and material as in earlier editions, the Third Edition more fully develops communicative and interactive language-learn ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 437 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Pearson Education (first published December 1st 1988)

Nima
Jun 24, 2013 Nima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok weather you are an English student or you want to gain grammatical points and notes during your English class this book has something unforgettable in a such way!I mean with lots of grammatical ideas,ways to remember most forgetting rules like articles and verb tenses,get the most out of this book keeps you safe in your way in english!
Hary Mulyadi
Apr 03, 2012 Hary Mulyadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo! This book is my milestone I confidence with my English, no matter anybody say. This book teach me when I'll enroll magisterial, I read repeatedly this book because I didn't pass the English exam. Until I can reach it and be a magisterial student in Favorite University in Indonesia.
Dina
May 19, 2009 Dina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easier book to understand English Grammar.
Kay
Aug 28, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language, esl, nonfiction
The single most helpful book in my ESL training and grammar teaching repertoire. I first used this in a pedagogical grammar course in grad school and have used it (and several other books in the series) for something like twenty years. While Azar has her detractors, students love the easy-to-consult grammar tables and the plentiful exercises. A more recent edition contains the answer key in the back of the book, which is a particularly useful feature.
Evrodina
Oct 05, 2007 Evrodina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any english students
good for your english reference.
Stephanie Feldmann
This is the most thorough, well-thought-out grammar book I've ever used as an English teacher. Each chapter nicely scaffolds knowledge with a large variety of simple to gradually more complicated activities, with quite a few conversation exercises thrown in. At times, I actually have trouble choosing just a few key exercises out of the very large number provided for us.
Abd Al-Rahman
Jan 26, 2013 Abd Al-Rahman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book on grammar; it is essential reference for any learner of English language. The illustrations provided in the book further clarify the grammatical rules. I enjoyed reading it doing its exercises.
Katsumi
I have been using this book with Upper Intermediate and Lower Advanced Students for the past 3 years and recommend it to other teachers.
itsumoAoi
recommended for teacher, student and anyone who wants to study English structurally...beginners, intermediate and advanced...GRAMMAR ORIENTED...so...better be followed with others focusing on the conversation
William Núñez
Aug 27, 2012 William Núñez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read & owned. whether you have taken English in the past, this book can help you out to remember the structures of grammar from any level.
Charity
Jun 17, 2012 Charity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My "ESL/EFL" bible. Azar's as sound as they come.
Lila Nh
May 09, 2013 Lila Nh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not bad
Reem (computeryah!)
Excellent book for the English learner and for the native English speaker at the same time!
Mohamud
i am think well
Dunya Al-Mishqab
Jun 21, 2011 Dunya Al-Mishqab rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I studied this book for Structure 1 and 2 course in college. It was good
Toofan
although it covers a lot of subjects its not a very good reference. The writing is rather boring, that is for a grammar book, and many points are left unclear.
Peddi Prudhvi
Sep 11, 2016 Peddi Prudhvi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
hiiii
Elizabeth
Not exactly a book to skim through and get an overall understanding of English grammar, but an excellent resource to resort to - or to refer others to - when unsure about a particular aspect of or rule regarding grammar. For students and teachers alike, it gives wonderfully succinct and easy-to-understand descriptions of various rules and elements of grammar - semicolons, verb tenses, everything - as well as an abundance of exercises and activities that would be great for individual students (es ...more
Beth
I'm just wrapping up my teaching practicum, and this is the textbook that both of practicum classes use. My classes are intermediate ESL students. I liked the textbook overall- it had some good activities and summaries, though it falls in the usual trap of using technical words and long descriptions to teach grammar (probably meant for native speakers, but not as approachable for ESL speakers). This is a good book to use as the bedrock of a course, but you will want to spice it up with other act ...more
Miquixote
Excellent grammar explanations. Less than perfect exercises. The students should get the book with the answers in the back so that they can repeat the exercises on their own.
Nebrass N farfoor
It's the book of the first year of my studies it's great I will read it regularly and use it as the first Reference :) .
Michelle Kotko
Apr 24, 2012 Michelle Kotko is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful grammar resource and practice book for learning verb tenses and sentence structure.
Cheryl
May 25, 2015 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, language
Not so much. Didn't like it for teaching or now. Too complicated and boring. This book is why learners hate grammar.
Soplada
Jul 07, 2013 Soplada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok :)
Thank You Allah and all who have prayed for me. I did will in the Exam :D

P.S. check my grammar is there anything wrong here O.o ?
Curt
Jul 14, 2008 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ESL students and teachers
Best English grammar book on the market. Clearly explains many points, sorely lacking in some including articles and prepositions.
Henny
Henny rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Yogèsh Kumar
Yogèsh Kumar rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Kimia
Kimia rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2016
Moy
Moy rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2015
Current I reading this book 4 25 Aug 17, 2016 10:39AM
  • English Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises: With Answers
  • Advanced Grammar in Use: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Advanced Learners of English
  • English Grammar in Use with Answers: Reference and Practice for Intermediate Students
  • Grammar Practice Activities: A Practical Guide for Teachers
  • How English Works: A Grammar Practice Book
  • Essential Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises: With Answers
  • Essential Idioms in English: Phrasal Verbs and Collocations
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • A Practical English Grammar
  • The Study of Language
  • Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
  • Writing Academic English (The Longman Academic Writing Series, Level 4)
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • Advanced Language Practice
  • The Handbook of Good English
  • Usage and Abusage: A Guide to Good English
  • Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry
  • Reading and Writing Chinese: A Guide to the Chinese Writing System
Betty Azar is a teacher and the author of several English grammar workbooks that are a staple in the ESL teaching industry.
More about Betty Schrampfer Azar...