Start by marking “The House” as Want to Read:
The House

The House

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
All Susan Owens wants after getting her Master's degree is to take a break. Instead, she's dragged into helping her family of eight move across the country to her grandma's ancestral home in Florida.

The old house is a mess that goes beyond the aesthetic. Some of Susan's ancestors aren't really "gone," and they're determined to act out their anger.

Along with her occult-obss
Published (first published July 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House

Katie's Hellion by Lizzy FordDamian's Oracle by Lizzy FordDamian’s Assassin by Lizzy FordMaddy's Oasis by Lizzy FordKiera's Moon by Lizzy Ford
Indie Eclective
22nd out of 56 books — 43 voters
Wool Omnibus by Hugh HoweyWool by Hugh HoweyMolly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh HoweyThe Vincent Boys by Abbi GlinesAngelfall by Susan Ee
INDIEpendence Day - A Celebration of Indie Authors
304th out of 540 books — 602 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg James
The key to supernatural stories of all varieties is atmosphere and The House has it in abundance. The sense of Southern place and Gothic location is perfectly evoked by the author, who has a knack for stunningly poetic turns of phrase when it comes to description and the thought processes of her characters.
The characters are well crafted and balanced between those of the contemporary world and its haunted past - with particular mention going to Patricia Helmsworth who adds an excellent touch of
Karin Cox
First, let me say that I'm not a big reader of scary books because I'm a total wuss. Having said that, I really enjoyed The House. It is well-written and has a light-hearted New Adult feel, even if at times it was too scary for me to read late at night, just in case I needed to get up in the dark for a drink of water (thank heavens I don't have stairs). The characters are exceptionally well-drawn and the family dynamics will draw you in almost as much as the riveting, spooky plot.

Of course, as f
The thing I enjoy most in much of Heather Adkins' writing is the family dynamic portrayed among the characters, whether it is the thrust of the story as in *Cause & Effect* or a smaller, largely self-made part of the central character's world, as in her Vale Avari stories (like *The Temple*). As *The House* is the story of the Owens family moving into an old ancestral property which still carries a dark legacy from the past, the interplay between Sue, her siblings, and parents, forms the sol ...more
Jessica Bronder
Susan and her family are moving into her grandmother’s house in Florida. But there is something odd about the house. The first thing is although it is a bright sunny day; the house seems dark and dreary. Later that first night, Susan hears screams and chains rattling over her bed and they discovery an old slaves chambers.

When Susan and her sister see a stranger walking through the property that seemingly disappears, they start to get worried. When Susan finds a picture of the stranger in an old
**** Suspenseful ****

Everyone knows that old homes tend to settle, creak and groan. Adkins takes it one step further and adds in some really old inhabitants (ghosts) that just don’t want to leave. Her ability to spin heart pounding spookiness will make you want to turn on all the lights in your home.

With ease she’s able to pull you right into the family dynamic and make it real. And then for extra good measure she threw in a little romance on the side.

My one and only negative is that the ending
Unfortunately I am sort on time and can't give it the proper review it deserves.

I loved this book. A good haunted house story which did NOT end in a scientific explanation of the haunting (that is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to haunting books - let it stay a haunting). I thought the characters where great, I liked the "romance" part of the book - it wasn't over done by any means, or take away from the story.

I would of probably given it 5 stars if she would of gotten a little deaper with
Celia Stander
I like anything 'ghostly' and The House is a great addition to that topic. Not only does Ms Adkins write ghosts well, but she also added a drop of romance and a whole lot of family drama, all which contribute to make this novel a riveting read that will make you look over your shoulder at the slightest sound - especially after dark!
Great thriller/ghost story. My only complaint is that the closing paragraph set it up for more story but it doesn't seem like this is supposed to be part of a series. In a way I kind of wish that last little bit had been left out.
great short story! very interesting
Heather Wedd
Heather Wedd marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
JoAnne marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Cyn marked it as to-read
Beverly Bosma Bosch
Beverly Bosma Bosch marked it as to-read
Mandi marked it as to-read
Mandi marked it as to-read
Sherry Cockerham
Sherry Cockerham marked it as to-read
Wanda Slack
Wanda Slack marked it as to-read
Laura  Redmon
Laura Redmon marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Diana Page
Diana Page marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Amanda Mabry
Amanda Mabry marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Miranda marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Deb marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Tiffany Archer
Tiffany Archer marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Anita Shofner
Anita Shofner marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Heather Marie Adkins loves magick and words, but not necessarily in that order. She can often be found wrangling chickens in her backyard, pulling weeds from her herb garden, and saving field mice from her cats—when she isn’t plotting her eventual move to Ireland.

Heather is the author of numerous published titles including The Temple and Abigail. She lives in north-central Kentucky with a house f

More about Heather Marie Adkins...
Underneath The Temple Abigail Wiccan Wars Constant State of Disaster