Start by marking “Screwing Up Time” as Want to Read:
Screwing Up Time

Screwing Up Time (Screwing Up Time #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Mark Montgomery is a slacker content with his life. He’s a senior at New Haven Prep, has a great friend, and after graduation he’ll get a brand new sports car from his parents, assuming he stays out of trouble. Then, she comes into his life—Miranda with her I-just-escaped-from-a-Renaissance-Fair clothing. Only, she hasn’t. She has come from Bodiam Castle in the Middle Ages ...more
Published July 12th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Screwing Up Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screwing Up Time

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude DeverauxBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Best Time-Travel Romance Novels
185th out of 634 books — 3,542 voters
The Saladin Strategy by Norm ClarkBlood Slave by Travis LuedkeCrashing Back Down by Kristen Hope MazzolaWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseKatie's Hellion by Lizzy Ford
A number of Great Indie Reads
108th out of 457 books — 474 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurel Garver
Dec 29, 2012 Laurel Garver rated it really liked it
I started reading this at the gym, which was a big mistake because I was howling with laughter on the stationery bike (very bad gym manners!). Really engaging narrative voice, and obviously great humor.

I love fantasy that doesn't take itself too seriously, and enjoyed this immensely. What's especially engaging about the story is the characters' relationships, which felt very real, especially Mark's relationships with and his sister and his best friend.

The method for time travel was unusual and
Stalking
Jan 17, 2016 Stalking rated it really liked it
Screwing up Time has a great YA feel. The time traveling is superbly described, in my opinion. I felt as though I understood exactly how a traveler might feel (although the best description is towards the end of the book). The characters are all well-developed but their stories aren’t thrown in the face of the reader. Instead aspects of their characters are slowly revealed and I think the author did a great job in the timing of the glimpses we get. The mysteries had me on edge trying to figure t ...more
Aaron Browder
Jul 29, 2015 Aaron Browder rated it it was ok
Keller's writing style is immediately immersive. I could easily have mistaken this for the diary of a real high school kid, if not for the whole time travel thing. Each character is complete with his or her own personality, idiosyncrasies, and relationships. It particularly struck me when at one point Mark mentions how the medieval-era castle is much filthier and more unpleasant that movies like Lord of the Rings would have us believe. Keller captures the essence of the era, and it's clear that ...more
Susan Swiderski
Jul 01, 2013 Susan Swiderski rated it it was amazing
This isn't the first book that's been written about time travel, but Keller's vivid descriptions certainly give the concept a colorful new spin. Her characters are flesh-and-blood believable, and their adventures, exciting. What's more, their travels through time enable this sneaky writer to (gasp!) educate by lifting historical tidbits from the dusty pages of school textbooks, and making them come alive. I highly recommend this book for young readers. Heck, I recommend it for anyone. It's been ...more
Brittany Sanford
Feb 19, 2015 Brittany Sanford rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
*Easy read*
*Great characters (and character back stories)*
*Interesting mystery*
*Well written*
*Highly recommend*

I didn't read the full description before I read it so I was pleasantly surprised at every turn. The story pulled me in immediately and easily. The style is very simply but the story has many layers of history and mystery to it. I really enjoyed reading this. There are no lags in the story-line. I couldn't put it down. All I did was eat, sleep, and read. I needed to uncover the mystery.
Tammy Theriault
Mar 10, 2014 Tammy Theriault rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing fun adventure of time travel in male POV. One of my favs this year! Can't wait to read the 2nd book in the series.
Kathy
Dec 20, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
I would go 3.5 out of 4.

Mark is a high school senior whose super smart but doesn't really try. When a young woman appears in his room claiming to be from the middle ages and a castle in England, he questions his sanity then is convinced it's all real. The problems are in getting people, especially his family, to believe him and finding a way to go back in time to save his damsel in distress from an evil alchemist. As he investigates, he uncovers some serious family issues.

Good YA entry.
Lourie
Dec 13, 2012 Lourie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Really enjoyed this book. It caputure my attention right from the start and kept it til the end.

The characters are real - sibling fighting. Hidden love. Crazy grandfather. What family doesn't sound like this?

A little predictable in some parts, but it didn't matter because the book just keeps on moving.

Even though there is a 2nd book this one could be a stand alone which is refreshing in it's self.

Danielle
Oct 16, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
What an incredible read. I couldn't put it down!! I immediately downloaded book 2!! I even loved the characters!!! What a great change if pace. I don't know why I waited so long to read it. Highly recommend!!!
Suzan
Jan 11, 2015 Suzan rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Time travel is not something I would normally read. But the characters kept me wanting to read more.
James
Oct 02, 2013 James rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It's a fun read that has me interested in picking up the sequel.
Terri M.
Screwing Up Time was a quick read. It’s been languishing in my Kindle account since July 9, 2014. (Yay, #ShelfLove!)

This YA novel has all the typical time travel tropes—the kid (Mark) who doesn’t know he can time travel, a little bit of romance (Miranda isn’t a name you see every day) and some evil dude (never trust Peter) trying to seize power.

The mystery behind time travel and its connection to the Montgomerys in Screwing Up Time did catch my attention. The family is keeping a memory from the
A.B.
Mar 27, 2012 A.B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, ya, fantasy
This novel is very well written and engaging. As with all self published titles, I approach them with trepidation, but unlike so many others, this novel kept me involved throughout.
It takes a while to get used to Miranda’s speech patterns, but I was pleased that she sounded realistically medieval in that regard. The dialog as a whole was very realistic, and even the awkward interplay of modern day high school boy with little Lady from the dark ages worked on that inexplicable teen level.

The Plot
Melissa Pearl
Jan 03, 2012 Melissa Pearl rated it it was amazing
This book captured me from the first chapter. I warmed to Mark immediately. He was a well rounded character with flaws and a typical laziness that can only be attributed to teenage boys who aren't quite sure where they're headed. I loved it. I found him endearing and incredibly human. I also liked Mark's best friend, Brian. Every person in the world needs a friend like this - someone who refuses to give up on you. In my opinion, Mark's character is made better by Brian's influence and I loved th ...more
Katharine
May 18, 2012 Katharine rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. The author did a great job of setting up the premise, making it believable (and it can't be easy with time travel, psych wards, and alchemy involved), and populating her book with smart, funny characters. The sibling relationship just sang with honesty, and I loved the way she portrayed the castle time period, it was gritty and dank. Not to mention the Grandfather in the Psych Ward-- ooh, he was a delightfully frightening character.

I read a traditionally published book to my
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, time-travel
Cute YA time travel story, cute but not sappy. Maybe not even cute but I have a bulk-lot of teenagers in my life and when they are not annoying me to distraction they are kind of "cute".

Same feel to the book. Story has elements of romance but more adventure driven by promise of future romance. Told from Mark's point of view and comprised of buddies Mark and Brian on a quest to save damsel in distress who Mark is "in love" with, only she is from the past. Now how can I not call that cute??!
Kimberly
Mar 09, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Screwing Up Time! I easily connected with the characters and the family dynamic was interesting and unique. I rooted for Mark and Miranda and so many of the other characters. The historical aspect was a great touch and believable. The story has a little bit of everything, mystery, romance, history, and more. Great read. I'll definitely read the next books in the series!
Rivka D.
Aug 15, 2011 Rivka D. rated it it was amazing
Really great book. Characters are fun and clever, plot-line is intricate but not unwelcoming, and the setting is just really great!
Allen
Apr 16, 2013 Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As time travel stories goes, this one was certainly different. It was an enjoyable read but I detected 4 errors.
Lissa Hawley
Lissa Hawley marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Stephen Davis
Stephen Davis rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Lynn Poppe
Lynn Poppe marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
BS  - Book Station
BS - Book Station marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Karin B
Karin B rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The God's Wife
  • Unseen (The Elements Trilogy, #2)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Aerenden: The Zeiihbu Master (Ærenden, #3)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 5 (Children of the Sea, #5)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
  • Moments in Time
  • American Princess
  • Rumpel
  • The Kennedy Rifle (Michael Cole, #1)
  • Storm #1
  • The Skeleton Song (The Hollows, #0.5)
  • First Light (Dawn of Steam, #1)
  • Chorus (Coda #2)
  • Bear Naked
  • A Secret Life (Secrets Duet Book 1)
  • Just One (Dangerously Dimpled, #1.5)

Screwing Up Time (3 books)
  • Screwing Up Babylon (Screwing Up Time, #2)
  • Screwing Up Mongolia (a Screwing Up Time short story)