Start by marking “Quiet the Dead (Promise McNeal Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Quiet the Dead (Promise McNeal Mysteries #1)

Quiet the Dead (Promise McNeal Mysteries #1)

MURDER IN SLEEPY APPALACHIA. AND PSYCHIC CLUES FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE...
Promise McNeal is startled awake one night by a jarring dream: she sees a beautiful woman, hanging over a shallow creek, strangled to death with a red scarf. An unsettling image to say the least for a woman who recently left her lucrative job as a psychologist in bustling Atlanta for the mountains of No

Published February 18th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services (first published January 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Quiet the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiet the Dead

Kathleen
May 09, 2014 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Until I got to the end this was a solid 4.5 star book. Written really well, great characters and a mystery with twists I didn't see coming. The problem for me was that once the mystery was solved the book just kept going. On and on... I think there was another 10 -15% of the book left after the mystery had been solved. I like my mysteries locked up tight once it's solved. I am ready to move on. So, I didn't like the ending but it had nothing to do with the mystery (it was super). Maybe that is ...more
Barbara West
Apr 28, 2014 Barbara West rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding suspense

Spellbinding suspense

Author's love for the South shines brightly as she weaves this work with an abundance of intrigue and emotion. well written and hard to put down.
Judy Decker
Dec 04, 2016 Judy Decker rated it really liked it
A good summer read!

The author constructed a story with just enough intrigue to keep one reading. In a world of high tech happenings Promise goes about her business without the the part and uses her senses to help solve issues from the PST and present day world.
Loretta Gabriel
Nov 09, 2016 Loretta Gabriel rated it really liked it
Riveting, fast acting mystery

Well written story of mystery driven by greed. The fast action leaves you seeking more information of what direction the story will go in next. Very enjoyable reading.
Lee Cannon
Sep 26, 2016 Lee Cannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon
This is a well written, grab and hold your attention, southern mystery. Dr. Promise McNeal, (who doesn't love this name), is an absolutely wonderful main character. Closing her practice as a counselor, she leaves Atlanta for the Appalachian area of North Carolina. Buying a general store and a home at the foothills of the mountains she's hoping to find pleasure running the store, enjoying the laid back atmosphere of the small mountain town, and providing counseling services only on a part time ...more
Phil Ellenberger
Sep 22, 2016 Phil Ellenberger rated it really liked it
Good

It is a good book when the characters are tea
Ms James characters have human flaws. The situations are contemporary and the reader can feel the reality of the situation. There is a low grade friction between paranormal, intuition and psychic that adds spice
Cakki
Sep 21, 2016 Cakki rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.
Carlin
Sep 17, 2016 Carlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
Oh my, I loved this book. So many things about it got to me: older, retired psychologist named Promise McNeal to whom spirits call in her dreams, the misty mountains of western North Carolina, Carolingian art from the 1100s stolen from the Nazis (who stole it from French museums), an attorney with questionable ethics who appreciates Promise's "intuition" in solving cases, a bullying ex-husband police Sargent, the fiddler playing farmer and his daughter........ The writing is excellent, like ...more
Carol Rosenberg-fox
Sep 26, 2016 Carol Rosenberg-fox rated it it was amazing
What did I think? Loved it. The characters, I love older protagonists. When I got to the middle of the book I had to stop and order the rest of the Promise McNeal series. Within 2 days I finished all 4 books. C'mon Morgan, write faster please.
Charlene Bridgeford
Sep 18, 2016 Charlene Bridgeford rated it it was amazing
Great

It was a book hard to put down even when early morning came, I was hoping that Daniel and Promise would get romantically involved, but she didn't. Well maybe next time. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.
Cheryl Evans
Sep 21, 2016 Cheryl Evans rated it really liked it
Good characters. Good story in an interesting setting. I will definitely go for the sequel.
Dee Cash
Sep 15, 2016 Dee Cash rated it liked it
Quiet The Dead. Not really my cup of tea.

Quiet The Dead: A Promise McNeal Mystery is not exactly the kind of mystery I enjoy. It was fairly dry without any excitement or "well mystery". It had a lot of ancient history. I never have really enjoyed history. Maybe you will.
Lorraine
Sep 14, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
A great light read.

Anyone who likes reading cosy mystery with a bit of supernatural thrown in will enjoy this book. It has a good pace and doesn't leave you wondering who's who and what's what.
shannon stradford
Sep 11, 2016 shannon stradford rated it it was amazing
Loved Quiet The Dead

I was just looking for something light with a bit of whimsy to read and I found it. I also found myself getting attached to the wacky characters which is always a nice surprise. This was a freebie but I am happily purchasing the next Promise McNeal book.
Candace Kirchner
Sep 10, 2016 Candace Kirchner rated it really liked it
Should have been a 5, but

This is a great story with well-developed memorable characters, an interesting plot, and a number of notable observations and original description. It is marred down to 4 stars by too many grammar and spelling/proofreading errors. It's a shame. Read it anyway, but be prepared to have the pleasure reduced by preventable flaws.
Sandy
Sep 11, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Quiet the Dead

Supernatural visions or just bad dreams ? Murder or accident ? Hidden secrets, family problems, money, intrigue and just a tiny hint of romance. This book has it all. Anxious to read the next episode.
Janet
Sep 10, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
very good
Moko Anggoro
Dec 26, 2015 Moko Anggoro rated it it was ok
I'm kinda curious at first with the premise and the main character. Once I read it though, I do not wish to continue further. The main character is not too bright and doesn't seem to have a clue of what she's doing. In the case of detective books, I always find that the support characters usually are more interesting. Unfortunately, the support characters in this book felt too generic and have far too little personality. I'm not recommending this book.
Julie Flaherty
Apr 04, 2014 Julie Flaherty rated it really liked it
Ms. James tells an enthralling story that both moves forward and meanders at the same time. There's a lot more to be told about the characters and I did find it hard to leave them behind when the book finished, but I think the story was the driver for the book.

I will definitely be picking up the second book down the road.
Trish
Dec 20, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of an interesting new series

I am always looking for new series in the mystery or suspense genres. This read was a comfortable addition to my series addiction. I will be ordering book two soon.

Melissa
Mar 15, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as much as the 2nd. Great characters and realistic storylines. I can't wait until the 3rd book in the series is released!
marian nicole marasigan
marian nicole marasigan rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Judy Klein
Judy Klein rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Joni
Joni rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Pat Frits
Pat Frits rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Desiree
Desiree rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Pat Kozakewich
Pat Kozakewich rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Carole Bullen
Carole Bullen rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Marina Waltz
Marina Waltz rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Morgan James lives in Western North Carolina. She is the author of The Promise McNeal mystery series,and the contemporary novel, Sing Me An Old Song.
More about Morgan James...

Promise McNeal Mysteries (4 books)
  • Quiet Killing (Promise McNeal Mysteries #2)
  • Quiet Hearts (Promise McNeal Mysteries #3)
  • Quiet Road to Murder (Promise McNeal Mysteries #4)