Start by marking “Renewal” as Want to Read:
Renewal

Renewal (Renewal #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  444 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In a post-collapse America, a young Reclamation Engineer is tasked with seeking and restoring farmland from dead suburban sprawl. On his first solo assignment, he encounters something that threatens to change everything he knows about the America of his generation.
Published May 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Renewal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renewal

Divergent by Veronica RothWool by Hugh HoweyProper Gauge by Hugh HoweyDelirium by Lauren OliverReady Player One by Ernest Cline
Best Sci-Fi AND/OR Dystopian Books of 2011
61st out of 70 books — 199 voters
The Windup Girl by Paolo BacigalupiDreams Unleashed by Linda HawleyGuardian of Time by Linda HawleyLegacy by Jesikah SundinThe City, Not Long After by Pat Murphy
Ecopunk Fiction
14th out of 56 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

David Galloway
Jul 11, 2012 David Galloway rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Renewal is a serialized postapocalyptic novel set in rural Tenneesee. The story is based on Terry, a young newly-graduated "reclamation engineer" who is tasked with finding out which suburban housing developments can be returned to farmland, which is more highly valued since the world fell apart around 40 years ago.

Very soon Terry meets Bill Carter, the leader of a hidden town that has existed within a few miles of Terry's neighborhood his entire life yet Terry has never heard of it. Bill befri
Meghan Bauer
Jun 28, 2013 Meghan Bauer rated it it was ok
I wasn't super impressed. It was okay I guess. There were some errors, which is always off-putting.
Not a lot happened though. It seemed a bit...preachy. Bad America! Damn capitalists!
The most exciting parts for me were the flashbacks...or parts of them. After I found out what caused the breakdown I lost a bit of interest, there was no more mystery.
Kim Graves
Jun 26, 2012 Kim Graves rated it did not like it
Wow, was this book preachy. I finished & gave the second book a try, hoping it would get better, but gave up halfway through. I know it's YA but it read like a very bad YA novel. Add the political preachiness and for me there was very little redeeming value. Disappointed since there were so many positive reviews.
Kimmie
Jan 18, 2012 Kimmie rated it it was amazing
Getting my backpack ready! Really, this was a quick read but it makes you really wonder if it could happen. I can't wait to read the next 10.
Apr 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
meh. i will not be reading the rest of the series of this. there were many editing errors and it wasn't that particularly well-written.
Pei
Mar 26, 2012 Pei rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!
Great pacing, believable characters, HUMAN.
Worth a read!
Felicia A
Sep 10, 2011 Felicia A rated it really liked it
VERY promising start to an ongoing series. VERY promising. I liked it very much.

Great world-building to start this post-apocalyptic/renewal & rebuilding type of book. In fact, it would be totally awesome if the whole series started out with the flashback/retelling of how the current folks got where they are, as when we start, it has already happened. The retelling of the "event" by someone who lived through it is outstanding, and I would have liked to read a LOT MORE of that.

It's about 35 y
Jason
Jul 25, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
This is a review of the entire Renewal series (1-10)

I love good stories. Don't get me wrong, huge epics with sub plots and complicated undercurrents are great, but I really love good stories. Characters you grow attached too and relationships that seem genuine. Stories you just don't want to put down. And stories that make you a little sad when they end.

Stories like these are often hard to find, but once I get my hands on one you made a fan for life. Their are very few authors capable of crafti
Susan Kiernan-Lewis
Nov 28, 2011 Susan Kiernan-Lewis rated it it was amazing
I love this after-the-bomb-drops story! It's first in a series (of six, I think.) The writing is straight-forward and evocative. It describes a world without our electronics and gadgets, our cars and communications. It also describes how we, as Americans, might react to total chaos and loss. (That part's not a pretty picture!) I love its heroes who give me hope that, if the worst ever did happen, America would rebuild stronger than ever--and I'm not just talking about our satellites or infrastru ...more
Eric Tissot-dupont
Jul 08, 2013 Eric Tissot-dupont rated it liked it
This story is totally believable. At some point, it would get me confused as if I was reading a book based on historical facts vs a fiction set in the future. Last time I remember that happened so vividly to me was Asimov's Fundation series. But don't get me wrong. Asimov's in a diferent category. He managed to do this to me for a story set thousands of years in the future, light years away from here. A real feat. With this book, I think the reasons that made me get so much into the story is bec ...more
Katherine
Apr 24, 2013 Katherine rated it liked it
Terry Shelton is a 20-year old Reclamation Engineer in/around Tennessee. This takes place around 40-50 years after a series of nuclear bombs are detonated in America, some resulting on EMPs that knock out all electricity. The government does not recover and smaller county and state governments are running the show. The rich people in the areas have created basically a feudal system for their own benefit. Although electricity has been restored, it is unreliable at best. However, many people still ...more
Melanie
Nov 11, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Post apocalyptic story like Walking Dead without the zombies because as any Walking Dead fan will tell you people are scarier than zombies.
Written as several novellas so load up your e-reader before getting on that plane.
Kate
Sep 14, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
The story kept my attention but the obviousness of the process pulled me out again. I would be interested to read this author's second series.
Charlotte Martin
Apr 01, 2014 Charlotte Martin rated it it was amazing
Read the whole Renewal series. A really good apocalyptic series
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Likeable main character, a young boy (20's) showing my age here. Out on his own for the first time. He is learning the world is not black and white and actually in this world there are places that are nothing like where he grew up. This is a short story a small taste of what is to come. There are several more parts published already, and I need to get back to this world! Tty it, if you like apocalyptic fiction, you will like this first bit of what seems to be a great novel.
Greg
Aug 28, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
I like this novella length story. It's a cautionary tale of a post-apocalyptic US, almost a history of a future breakdown. I thought it well written and thought provoking.

This reminds me a little of John Ringo's style of a story, I'd say kind of "right" leaning(individual freedom, personal responsibility, not big gov, don't depend on the Gov to save us but do it ourselves, etc).

The story was too short and hard to put down (which I didn't...lol)
Ian
Feb 16, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a series. It was a very quick red and worthwhile. The survivalist aspect is interesting and thought provoking. I wouldn't disagree with other reviewers that it can come across a preachy. I have to admit that living in Nashville and driving through Manchester / Coffee County on a regular basis, having the story set there is freakin weird.
Anette Petersen
Sep 08, 2012 Anette Petersen rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Another dystopia book, well written but ....
The story of the end ofnthe world as we know it was much more interesting than the actual story about the future world, which actually encompassed just half the book, æeading up to another and another.... Sorry, but dont think I'll readmthe next one.
Lyn5
Sep 24, 2011 Lyn5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is an exciting one and well put together. The only bugbear was that I had to download it short episode by short episode with the corresponding charges each time. However, I would not have missed it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Chris
Jan 11, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a story, not a novel. But it's a wonderful story, one that's continued through nine subsequent volumes. Unlike traditional post-apocalypse fiction, Perkins writes of a hopeful future. It's refreshing.
Rachel
Jan 09, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Makes me want to grow a small community and live off the land. Good story. I'll definitely read the next one.
Joshua
Jan 14, 2013 Joshua rated it liked it
I like the authors perspective on the problems in America. A simple story with a simple moral.
Teresa
Mar 07, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Very good post apocalyptic short story. I would love to read more from this promising author!
Jeremy Jones
Apr 11, 2012 Jeremy Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Enjoying this great series! Well done and fast paced. A great read!
Sara
Dec 29, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Decent little story.
Todd Etchieson
Todd Etchieson rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Heather R.
Heather R. rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Diana Blick
Diana Blick rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
  • Selection Event
  • Summer of the Apocalypse
  • Deep Winter
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • The Zona
  • Raft People
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Breakdown
  • Cracked Earth (The Journal, #1)
  • Dark Grid
  • Scavenger's War (The Marlowe Transmissions, #1)
  • One
  • A Land of Ash
  • The Mountain and The City, Part I
  • Deadlands
  • On The Third Day
  • Home (The Traveler, #1)
  • Apocalypse End: Reign of the Dead
I was born two years before we landed on the moon, somewhere in the middle of Long Island. I was too young to remember much, except for the park ritual of spinning three times on a stump, the bee that flew down my throat, and getting my fingernails smashed off in a car door. Ok, that's not fair. I also remember when the mean kid across the street was run over by the mailman.

I currently live in Oly
More about J.F. Perkins...

Renewal (10 books)
  • Echoes of the Breakdown (Renewal #2)
  • Your Basic Swiss Family (Renewal #3)
  • Down on the River (Renewal #4)
  • An Untimely Fall (Renewal #5)
  • Cold (Renewal #6)
  • When the Student is Ready (Renewal #7)
  • War Council (Renewal #8)
  • Delay Tactics (Renewal #9)
  • Blind Force (Renewal #10)