Hawthorne

Hawthorne

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  51 reviews
After a terrifying encounter with the unexplained, it took ten years and the news of her grandmother’s passing for Emma Grace Hawthorne to return to her childhood home. She sought peace in saying a proper goodbye, but what she found was an old love, a sordid family history, and a wrong only she could right.

Living in the shadow of Hawthorne Manor, Noah Garrett never forgot...more
Published July 12th 2011 by Astraea Press

Bri Clark
This is one of those stories that you immediately get sucked into, hang on every word, think you know the ending then it's a doosey. Then you feel like you should have seen it coming...then get over it because Sarah Ballance is just that great of a writer.
Katrina
Well the cover certainly depicks whats inside once you have read it !! ** Cover love **

Once again Sarah does not dissapoint !! A wonderful written story that will draw you in from page one and leave you speechless at the very end. !!!! ** adds in daannannaaaaaannnn **

Emma Grace has returned home to Hawthorne Manor to say goodbye. She has found her first love - unbelievable family secerts and a mistake in which she alone could right.

Not only does she find her freedom and is able to move on in l...more
C. Zampa
I'd hesitated to write a review for this story because when I'd read the last page, I was angry at the author for quite some time. Why? Because Ms. Ballance led me by the colorful, elegant prose through a garden of romance, heart-wrenching emotion and then...on that last page...I found myself on the edge of a cliff of pure surprise. And I did not like being caught off guard.

But, then, is that not the perfect story? The secrets within a tale we cannot anticipate?

'Hawthorne' is a mere thirty-five...more
Elizabeth Morgan
Hawthorne is a beautifully written story, with an unexpected twist. The book was well written, I actually felt like a was standing in front of the old manor, wanting to scan each window for the creepy old lady ghost.

The love between Emma and Noah is sweet, and my heart really went out to them the moment I read the last paragraph.

Fans of ghost stories should definitely give this a read.

Melissa MacKinnon
Just finished reading Hawthorne, and I am still in awe. I don't even know how to write a review for this piece. It was hauntingly beautiful with a southern charm from days gone by. Absolutely stunning. A great read with a wonderful plus - the proceeds have gone to charity. Wow, Sarah Ballance...WOW.
Kim
Words can't express how amazing this short story is. Ms. Ballance will absolutely blow your mind with this haunting tale. Buy now. Read next. Thank me later!
Krystal Wade
I've given this short story a 5-star review for many reasons. The writing is amazing and powerful and moved me to tears. I don't cry often, but when I do, I cry hard. This book had me blubbering like a baby and it didn't need many words to do it. Sarah has a wonderful talent for creating believable words and characters that will stick with you long after you've finished reading.

The plot, the characters, the setting . . . everything was perfect.

This book also received a 5-star review for the pur...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
This is a marvelous ghost story. The mystery, the suspense, the eeriness - all collaborate to weave a spell-binding tale. Emma suffered a ghastly fall ten years ago as Noah watched helplessly. Finally having acquired the strength needed to face the past, Emma has come home – home to a house that terrifies her, and the tormented souls residing there. Time has not diminished the love between her and Noah, and he finally has an opportunity to put the tragic incident to rest. Both he and Emma are mi...more
Tonette
I was just introduced to Sarah Ballance by a mutual fb and blog friend.While checking out her site,I found this short story by her, the proceeds generously given to charity. Little did I know when downloaded it that I would read it through and be hooked until the end, with a haunting story that will stay with me. Even more surprising is that Ms.Ballance does not consider herself a short-story writer.I have seldom encountered a new writer that can create an engaging-to-read but swift-moving, emot...more
Susan Updegraft
This is the first book I have read from Sarah Ballance, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I was skeptical at first and wondered if 25 pages could really tell a whole story well, I was even more surprised at just how much story it did tell. Sarah's writing is very much like many of the great writers of day's gone by. A strong classical flavor of Author's like Charles Dicken's, Great Expectations, Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights & Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. 3 of my very favorites. My o...more
C.l.
Loved this book and hated for it to end. It's a must read.

Hawthorne is a paranormal romance story. Takes place in the old South in an old Victorian mansion. Need I say more? Okay, I will. Someone pushed her off the roof years ago, but who? It's time for answers. Lots of twists and turns and an ending you won't see coming.
TJ
Very well done for a very short story. A little bit romance, a little bit suspense, a little bit mystery. All within 40 pages!
Tammy
What a sweet little read!! It's funny...I read other reviews after I read this book and was surprised to see that so many people were surprised about the ending. LOL :) I guess I read so many books that I can guess most times how it will all end. There were lots of hints in the story leading up to the ending so it was easy to figure out.

All in all it was a cute but short read. A lot of emotions where packed into this little story. It was well written and the characters lovable.

Would I read mor...more
Rachel Dyken
Still reading ;)
Kerry
This short novel features a girl that fell to her death 10 years prior. Now she is back at the place she called home.

I had a hard time with this book. The beginning is sightly confusing, and it just didn't grab my attention. The story was very sad. The writing was very descriptive. Sometimes almost too descriptive. The ending was what made me give this novella 3 stars. I didn't expect it at all, and I like when that happens.

I recommend this story if you like a good mystery and a quick read.
Romancing the Book
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Ursula
Review Copy Provided by the Publisher

This is a very short story, but a well written one. The opening grabs you right away when you ‘feel’ what Emma Grace felt upon her return to her childhood home after 10 years. A horrible and frightening event happened when she was only 17 that left so many lives changed; Emma Grace’s, Noah’s and Margaret’s, Emma’s grandmother.

The characters were well developed for such a short story, but there was still eno...more
Lexie
As a young teen I was fascinated with the South--or at least what I thought of as the South. Encouraged by authors like Norma Johnston the South always had a sort of hazy gothic humid feel in my mind. Ghosts prowled everywhere on plantations and in darkened houses left vacant by Southern Aristocracy who couldn't afford the upkeep. Mystery and romance and danger lurked everywhere, on every corner, within every stranger's smile.

I grew out of that phase by about 15 when I found Elisabeth Ogilvie an...more
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Raven Rating: 5
Blog Review For: GMTA
Review:
"Hawthorne" by Sarah Ballance was a good short story that draws you in from the very first read to the end. It is a very quick read so get ready! Ms. Ballance writing is very amazing and being so powerful it will move you to tears. The story has some paranormal romance and mystery that has a lots of unexpected twists that will surprise you with a great ending.

Th...more
Sandy Wolters
Hawthorne Manor holds heartbreaking secrets

Let me just start out by saying that I wish I could give this short story more than a measly 5 stars. If you like reading about ghosts, this is the book for you. If you like reading a love story, this is the book for you. If you like learning heartbreaking secrets, this is the book for you. I you like reading at all, this is the book for you. Don't walk, run to the "Buy now with 1-click button". This is a MUST READ!

HAWTHORNE by SARAH BALLANCE is a maste...more
Cambria
Title: Hawthorne
Author: Sarah Ballance
Publisher: Astraea Press
Genre: Paranormal novella
ISBN: 978-1936852-44-4
Format: Ebook

Note: 100% of the proceeds from Hawthorne benefit Japan disaster relief charities.

Emma Grace left home ten years ago and never looked back. Why? Because a horrifying accident and an encounter with the unexplained left her with scars that never healed.
But Emma is coming home, the death of her beloved Grandmother the catalyst for her to face what happened all those years ago.
S...more
Laura Mcquillen
Considering this is a charity title, I should have gotten to this one so much sooner and for that I apologize both to the author and to those that the charity benefits. Charity information will be at the end of the review.

All that said, I'm kind of glad that this one ended up getting left until now because with Halloween right around the corner this is the perfect time of year to read this one. Hawthorne is full of ghosts, a haunted manor, long buried family secrets and, of course, romance.

Emma...more
Marlaine Flamingcrystal
Emma Grace Hawthorne had a horrifying accident and left Hawthorne 10 years ago, only to return upon her Grandmother’s death. Noah the caretaker’s son and Emma were in love before she left, she returned to help him find the will of her Grandmother and also discovered that she still feels the same about Noah as she had, 10 years ago. He still makes her heart flutters. The combination of mystery, paranormal and romance makes this novella worth the read.
ValeriGail
Wow, what can I say that isn't going to mirror all the other reviews on here? This story pulled me in from the beginning.. Knowing there was a surprise ending, I was trying to guess what it was the whole way through.... I did not see that coming at all. Yet, it fit so well and had me laying my iPad down and soft tears falling. Excellent story telling. I am so glad I took the evening and spent it with those at Hawthorne Manor.
Renee Vincent
This book will draw you in and make your heart melt at the incredible tenderness and beauty of a love so deep, not even death can destroy it. Even though this book is a quick read, Ms. Ballance packs so much life and fervor into her chapters that one can hardly believe it's a novella.

Her writing style and voice are quite possibly one of the best. The caliber of her writing will take your breath away. Sarah Ballance never ceases to amaze me.

I would recommend all her books. I've read three of hers...more
Shelly
This book is Outstanding.. for a novella it had you hooked from the beginning... The suspense of it all was amazing... you will love this little story... and some might need some tissues... I certainly cried a little.... This is a MUST read in my opinion.
Jessica
It's hard to believe a story like this can be told in sixty pages... actually I think it's pretty believable. I was disappointed by Hawthorne, the synopsis and reviews led me to believe that it would leave me on the edge of my seat. I thought this was suppose to be a ghost story. It honestly felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie. I found myself skimming what little pages their are. I feel terrible for giving a review like this because it seems like Sarah Ballance is a wonderful writer, mothe...more
Vanessa Booke
I really loved this story one because it's set in Louisiana and two because it deals with an old, haunted southern manor. Once again, Sarah Ballance delivers a beautiful story and the writing, of course is superb! The ending caught me by off guard I have to admit, in a good way. I was so drawn into the story and the descriptions that I was genuinely surprised by the ending. I found myself re-reading parts of the story for hints or clues. Overall, this was a fantastic novella! I highly recommend...more
Kari
Feb 06, 2012 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, ipad
Review will be featured on From the TBR Pile on 2/8/2012.

Hawthorne is a really quick read, but there is a lot packed into it. It's chilling story about lost loves and uncovering deep dark secrets. I don't really want to discuss the plot too much because that would really ruin it for you. Suffice it to say that I was very surprised at the ending and never saw it coming. This is a must read that you don't want to miss. Normally, I think that novellas should be longer. I always want to read more ab...more
Delta
Free on Amazon today, 04-14-14.

Short Story, Ghosts

.•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•. J. Katherine  .•*¨`*•✿  ✿•*¨`*•.
I really liked this book. A love story with a sad but at the same time happy ending. A first love that is never forgotten.
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen, #2)
  • Righting a Wrong (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #3)
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • To Love or Die in a Steamy-Reamy World
  • Silver Linings (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #2)
  • Your Energy Speaks: Stories of Transformation through Energy Healing
  • Cascade Brides: The Complete Series
  • Fortune Cookie (A Culinary Mystery, #11)
  • Imperfect Love
  • Warrior's Moon
  • Unstoppable (The Nature of Grace #3)
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Lost and Found (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #4)
  • Helga: Out of Hedgelands (Wood Cow Chronicles, #1)
  • Lancaster House
  • Fire and Ash
  • Shadow Fire (Light Chronicles, #1)
Sarah and her husband of what he calls “many long, long years” live on the mid-Atlantic coast with their six young children, all of whom are perfectly adorable when they’re asleep. She never dreamed of becoming an author, but as a homeschooling mom, she often jokes she writes fiction because if she wants anyone to listen to her, she has to make them up. (As it turns out, her characters aren’t much...more
More about Sarah Ballance...
Ruby Hill Her Wicked Sin (Sins of Salem #1) An Unexpected Sin Familiar Light Down in Flames