Start by marking “The Lighthouse War (Lighthouse Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse War (Lighthouse Trilogy, #2)

The Lighthouse War (Lighthouse Trilogy #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Jamie and Ramsay figure out how to recharge the Salmon, the extraterrestrial device that allows them to travel through wormholes in space. Heading back to the planet Altair, Jamie discovers that the Witch Queen will do anything to get her hands on Jamie and the Salmon.
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lighthouse War

Aoife62
I listened to the Lighthouse Trilogy as an audio book. I had to get used to Gerard Doyle's reading, beacause initially I found his voice too "old" for a story which is about a 13 year old boy, but you forget that more and more. In fact, I afterwards quite liked the way he gave an individual tone to all the persons.

The story is really beautiful: combining old Irish Fairy tales with wormhole-theory and the story of a teenager, who has to recover from cancer and his parents divorce - altough this i
Diane
An OK book. I think I liked the first one better. Hopefully the last of the trilogy is more exciting.
Sally
The Lighthouse War is the second book in The Lighthouse Land trilogy. My feeling so far, after having read the first two is that they are much like a half cadence in music. That is, the ending brings the story to a temporary, yet comfortable pause while presenting anticipation that there is more to follow. I have the third book in the trilogy in hand (The Lighthouse Keepers) so I can review the overall story when I complete that one. In the meantime, I'm writing this review for those who think t ...more
Margaryta
I don't think this book was way that much better than the previous one. In fact, I honestly found it worse in a number of ways.

First of all, for me personally the first book was good enough to be a stand-alone novel, but instead the author bolted on another book which from my view shouldn't even have been because it ruined the picture I had of the previous book and of the world of Jamie and Wishaway.

I found it boring, in a lot of places. That was the main problem with this book. I felt like the
Johnp
Part two in this Trilogy was right along the lines of part 1. This time, it’s one year later. Jamie and Ramsay concoct a plan to recharge the space travel device (the Salmon of Knowledge). Of course, it works (if not, they’d be stuck on Earth!) and they travel back to Altair. This time, however, the Witch Queen and her brother (yes, he’s still alive!!) have a plan to trap the boys and steal the Salmon. A new character, Ramsay’s moody brother Brian and a love triangle, between Jamie, Wishaway and ...more
J.Elle
July Book #20: I counted this in my July book count despite the fact that I didn't finish it because I got at least halfway through before giving up entirely. And isn't this kind of like when you have a dollar that's been torn in half and you only have the piece that has a little bit more than half, but the bank will still give you a new one? Well, I read a little more than half and so I will count this. Jamie's friend Ramsay is even more annoying and their dialogue wearied me before I got even ...more
Rachel
This series just gets better and better. Without spoiling anything, the Lighthouse Wars has sprung to the top of my list of favorites. Definitely one good for teens and the young-at-heart adult. (Plus, who wouldn't want to move to Ireland now?)
Mitchell Cripps
After a long and painful wait to get this book, I got this for Christmas! Amazing second book! For me the book kept me extremely interested and after every chapter was finished I couldn't help but start another!
Niki
This is the second book in the Lighthouse Trilogy where the story of Jamie and his young friend he meet in Ireland when he moved there with his mother are called back to the other world they were able to travel to through the secret "Salmon" they found in Jamie's lighthouse. Different agencies on earth are receiving a message that no one can decipher except them and realize they are being called back to help on the other island where the young teenagers are thought of as royalty and also as the ...more
Susan
Jun 15, 2015 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: slmta
This book has it all.
Should be in every Jr. High library.
Neill Smith
In part two of the trilogy Jamie and Ramsay return to Altair in response to a signal they think is from Jamie’s love on Altair. Instead the message is from the Witch Queen of Balanmanik on Altair. She wants to lure them there so she can acquire the Salmon of Knowledge, the device Jamie and Ramsay use to travel between Altair and Earth via a wormhole. Jamie, Ramsay, Ramsay’s brother, and Jamie’s mother are all captured and must fight for their freedom to be able to return to Earth.
Becka Ramaglia
Overall, I like this story. I wasn't happy with some changes made and felt this book was a little lacking. But I'm trudging ahead to find out how it ends.

Here's my full review:
Elizabeth
If you guys have ever read the first book in this series, the Lighthouse Land, they are fascinating Sci-Fi stories about outer life. This one is about conflict in the alien world, and the aliens possibly coming to invade Earth-- that is, if Jamie and Ramsay don't stop them through the Lighthouse.
Janet Whalen-Jones
The sidekick character Ramsay makes this book possible due to his intuitive understanding of science and maths. Books 2 are supposed to be the meat of the triolgy, and McKinty, as usual, delivers. Cliffhanger ending of course.
Jeanne
I did enjoy this second book better than the first and I am quite interested in reading the 3rd and last of the trilogy. McKinty is keeping my curiosity alive...
Laree
I didn't like it as well as the first, but it was interesting. Bit confusing as to what actually happened at the end, but hopefully the third book will explain better.
Celeste
This one I had a little harder of a time getting into it until the last 1/3. However, I liked how it ended and it leaves you wanting to read the next one.
Arwen
The next book in the Lighthouse trilogy. I liked the fact that you could sympathize with the motivations of the villains, if not their actions.
Wendy Lu
The ending really wasn't that great, but considering there's another book left in the trilogy, I won't say anything extremely critical.
Dace
Best of the 3 books. Takes place mostly on earth and Jaime has to decide whether to save earth or altar (the other world he goes to.)
Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)
Better than the first one I think. More action and more romance and more... good. ;)
Brandy
Aug 18, 2014 Brandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
It's very interesting. Each page just another adventure happening! I love it!!!!!
Dominique
Nov 24, 2012 Dominique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantay lovers
I enjoyed this greatly in fifth grade. It still remains a favorite.
Katie
I liked the first book better, but I am excited about the last book.
Toni
Interesting book. Not as good as the first, but almost.
Basma Kaid
this book i own it & my dad got it for me also....it was ok
Adam
I always appreciate a nuanced and comprehensible villain.
Markyb
Best of the trilogy 6 stars!!!!!
Amanda
May 02, 2008 Amanda added it
Book following "The Lighthouse Land"
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Light-Bearer's Daughter (The Chronicles of Faerie, #3)
  • The Chalice of Immortality (Magickeepers #3)
  • The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)
  • The Circle Of Gold (The Book Of Time #3)
  • Silverboy
  • Bandits
  • RuneWarriors (RuneWarriors, #1)
  • The Singer's Crown
  • Dragon and Liberator (Dragonback, #6)
  • Dragons of Deltora: Special Edition, Books 1 & 2
  • The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Dragons of Noor
  • Daughters of the Earth
  • Faerie Land
  • Puddlejumpers
  • ProtoStar
Adrian McKinty is an Irish novelist. He was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1968 and grew up in Victoria Council Estate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. He read law at the University of Warwick and politics and philosophy at the University of Oxford. He moved to the United States in the early 1990s, living first in Harlem, New York and from 2001 onwards Denver, Colorado where he taught high sch ...more
More about Adrian McKinty...

Lighthouse Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Lighthouse Land (Lighthouse Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lighthouse Keepers (Lighthouse Trilogy, #3)
The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1) Dead I Well May Be (Michael Forsythe #1) I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy, #2) In the Morning I'll be Gone (Detective Sean Duffy, #3) The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2)