Start by marking “The Rooster's Gift” as Want to Read:
The Rooster's Gift

The Rooster's Gift

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Rooster believes that when he calls Cot Cot Cot Ca-toodle toooo he makes the sun come up. All the chickens, especially Smallest Hen, are in awe. And Rooster is pretty proud of his gift as well--too proud. Until one morning he oversleeps, and the sun rises without him! Full color.
Published September 1st 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Rooster's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rooster's Gift

Michelle
Apr 30, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
this book is absolutely amazing - beautiful artwork - beautiful story; character study, responsibility to find one's own gift and share it, identity framing.
Mirela
Jun 26, 2016 Mirela rated it really liked it
Nice portrayal of what it means to be humble and appreciative, as this Rooster finds out. Great illustrations!
Christine
Aug 17, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun farmyard story about the Rooster discovering what his gift really is.
Emily
Apr 14, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This rooster is a jerk. The smallest hen comes out every morning to watch him bring up the sun and every morning she says "thank you", at first he responds to her but day by day he gets more full of himself and eventually stops acknowledging her all together. But when he gets all down because he realizes the sun will rise without him the rooster looks to the hen to tell him how great he is but is still a jerk to her when he says even she can crow and calls her fat and round when she tries. This ...more
Alma Loredo
The farmer and his wife saw all the baby chicks and wished that at least one of them were a rooster. They all wondered what that meant. The rooster righ tbefore dawn walked out to the top of the chiclen coop and told the sun to raise. He did this everyday. One day we was running late and the sun rose without him. He was very upset and did not understand what was his gift. The small hen helped him understand that he helps tell the sun when to raise.
Melissa Gregory
I liked this book a lot. It has really great illustrations. It is very entertaining. Through the whole book, you suspect something else is going to happen, but every morning the rooster goes through the same routine. I dont like the attitude of the rooster. He is not very nice and respectful to his fellow farm animals at the begginning of the book. This would be a good book to read to kids in Kindergarten-2nd grade.
Kristen
Although the author uses bias language that portrays the male rooster as being better than the other animals, I felt this book in general was ok. It definitely portrayed a rooster's characteristics very well since they like to strut their self around a barn. Also it touches a lot of areas that can be used in discussion such as boastfulness about one's abilities, finding one's talent, and embarassment and how it makes us feel.
April Castle
I like how you find out what the rooster does when he gets older. I like the story about him trying to find out the special talent he has. Although I don't like the male ego voice he has degrading the hen. The story line is good but the dialogue didn't have to be so pushy from the rooster. This book could be introduced into the classroom to students about chickens but needs to be discussed about the tone of the book.
Lindsay Rogers
A cute story of chicks who grow up to become hens and one rooster. The rooster hears the old man and woman say something about his Gift and he wonders what it is. When he crows in the morning for the first time he is sure that his gift is his ability to make the sun rise. He becomes very full of himself. Only the friendship of a hen can help him when he realizes he has no grand gift.
I read this book in my tradebooks class, and after the reading we had a discussion about sexist behavior in this book. I could see the male dominance slightly, but would not consider this book to be harmful to children. I really enjoyed this book. It is a little long, but would be a great book to introduce a chicken or farm unit. I would read this book again and share it with others!
Angela
Apr 14, 2011 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
Although there are tone of sexism in the book, I still think it was pretty good. I don't think the implied message will be understood by young children. It is important to select proper materials for kids, but this one is fairly vague. I would use this book to introduce life on a farm in my classroom and not worry about the connetations.
Drew Paige
Apr 28, 2011 Drew Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Another book I would avoid because the author tends to make the rooster(male figure) better than everyone else (especially more than females). Yeah there is the moral at the end but children do not always see it that way. I think the bad parts stick out more than the good in this story. Not a huge fan of this book.
Nick Cherry
I think one could say this book may come across as sexist, but I doubt that a child would take it that way. I think this book was a little long, but younger children would enjoy it. I know when I was in the first grade, we did a lesson with chickens. This book would go perfect for learning about them.
Samantha
Apr 13, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Good book about chicks growing up. Good to show how life is on the farm from an animals perspective. Would need lost of explaining about how the roaster and hen interact. Reminded me of a valley girl fawning over a football player.
Suzanne Williams
Nov 15, 2011 Suzanne Williams rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book! I simply do not understand not loving this book. I read it to my daughter over and over when she was young. It has the sweetest story with the moral of being yourself and beautiful illustrations.
Tara
Apr 13, 2011 Tara rated it it was ok
Shelves: farm, sexism
I thought this book was too long. I frankly got bored in the middle of it. This book could be used with students of all ages. As long as they can sit still through it.
Curriculum
Sep 29, 2008 Curriculum rated it liked it
Rooster thinks his gift is making the sun rise, until one morning when the sun rises without him. (ALA notable book 1997, GG 1996).
Heather
Sep 29, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Rooster thinks his gift is making the sun rise, until one morning when the sun rises without him. ALA Notable book 1997, GG 1996
Rocco Delauro
May 21, 2013 Rocco Delauro rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not the best, I would not read it again. I think that the characters where not very good.
Mrs. Steinbach
Mrs. Steinbach rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Youth Of Malawi
Youth Of Malawi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Brody
Brody rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
LGold100
LGold100 rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Jo
Jo added it
Aug 07, 2015
Booboo
Booboo rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Pam Conrad (1947-1996) was an author for children. Her book Our House: Stories of Levittown was a Newbery Medal finalist.

Ms. Conrad was born in New York City and graduated from the New School for Social Research.
More about Pam Conrad...