mental_floss: The Book: The Greatest Lists in the History of Listory

mental_floss: The Book: The Greatest Lists in the History of Listory

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  30 reviews
For ten years, the knowledge seekers at mental_floss have been hunting and trapping the world’s rarest facts, locking them into captivating lists for the world to admire. Thanks to their tireless efforts, Mental Floss: The Book is packed with a decade’s worth of the smartest, quirkiest stories around, including:

Five Presidential Fashion Flubs
Seven Shameless Abuses of Diplo...more
Published November 1st 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about mental_floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about mental_floss

Angelc
4.5 Stars

I was very impressed with this book, there was a mix of pop culture tidbits as well as little known historical and scientific facts. You could definitely find some facts in here that would impress friends when you sprinkle them into everyday conversation.

There's a list for everyone here, from the Muppets, to sports, to US Presidents, there's a bit of everything. Who knew that some of the quotes that I always attributed to Mark Twain, weren't really his quotes at all? And no other book h...more
Marcie
I'm a huge fan of Mental_Floss magazine and I'm a huge fan of lists. If there is a top ten list anywhere I want to read it. Mental_Floss has put together this fabulous book that is the mother load of lists. If you're not familiar with Mental_Floss their tag line is "Where knowledge junkies get their fix". The magazine is chocked full of interesting tidbits from music to science to history and more. I had high expectations for this book. I was not disappointed.
This book contains lists of:
The Fiv...more
Angelc
4.5 Stars

Alison
If you're not familiar with Mental Floss, let me catch you up to speed. Back in 2001, Mental Floss launched a bi-monthly magazine presenting educational pieces and factoids in humorous ways. Will Pearson and Mangesh Hattikudur co-founded Mental_Floss when they were still students at Duke University. (Will Pearson and Mangesh Hattikudur among Inc. magazine's 30 "coolest young entrepreneurs"). Since then, Mental Floss has grown into a very popular blog, which contains trivia, humor, lists, and pop...more
Serena
Mental_Floss The Book: Only the Greatest Lists in the History of Listory edited by Ethan Trex, Will Pearson, and Mangesth Hattikudur is a collection of lists that span the 10 years that Mental_Floss has been in the business of collecting information that is odd, off-the-beaten path, and just down right funny. The Website has not only trivia games, but also quizzes, blogs, and amazing facts (Here’s one of my favorites, especially since Muppets are the order of the day in my house these days — par...more
Julie (julie37619)
If you're familiar with Mental_Floss, then you know already how awesome it is that such a thing as Mental_Floss The Book exists. If somehow you have missed out, it's a magazine for geeks that focuses on all kinds of trivia. This book is made up completely of random trivia lists that have appeared in Mental_Floss. Some examples? This list is from the Goodreads Publisher description and should give you an idea:
Five Presidential Fashion Flubs
Seven Shameless Abuses of Diplomatic Immunity
Five Units o...more
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

A trivia buffs wet dream - this is full of tons of little tidbits that fellow trivia nerds will enjoy
Quirky humour goes well with the subject matter
Well researched
Quick and easy to read
Learned tons of interesting facts
Truly fascinating historical tidbits
Loved the list Seven Shameless Abuses of Diplomatic Immunity
Nicely organized (Hello I am a nerdy Librarian, these things matter)
Awesome section: Lists You can share with your kids (or your inner child)
Also enjoyed Lists to...more
Gmr
Dec 21, 2011 Gmr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens through adults
Recommended to Gmr by: HarperCollins Publishers
In it’s most basic form, this book is fact, not fiction…but it deals with a myriad of subjects both intellectually stimulating and funny bone jostling that you’ll be hooked, lined, and sinker-ed whether you read it cover to cover or in wee little bites like a too rich cheesecake (yes, I was hungry when I wrote this). That’s right my friends; a book of lists with room to spare for both laughter and learning….quite the combo and very satisfying.

In short….
1.…a great book for fun time readers as we...more
Nancy
What do you want to know today? How about “Six Works of Literature That Were Really Hard to Write?” or “Moons of the non-Gluteal Variety”. This book can tell you all that and so much more! In a really funny compilation of various subjects the folks at Mental_Floss tell us of things odd and odder but all interesting.
The introduction in itself is worth a chuckle or two and the following chapters make this a great gift for anyone on your Christmas list you haven’t shopped for yet. After all, where...more
Sara Habein
If nothing else, Mental_Floss: The Book is excellent material for the trivia nerd in your life, and I'm sure I will be using the site's future lists to badger unsuspecting relatives and Facebook/Twitter friends.

For super awesome facts and the use of an interrobang, my full review can be found on Glorified Love Letters.
Ashley
Seriously hilarious & fun & just exactly something I love. This book is so full or random (and rather useless) trivia and it makes me so very, very happy! :) I LOVE learning weird & obscure facts. I spent the 3 days it took to read this frequently saying- Whoa! Did you know...?!

Apparently Dr. Suess invented the word 'nerd'. Win
Karen
Jan 01, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sus, own
I'm a trivia nerd and a list nerd, so it was love at first page. The Mental Floss folks have a knack for knowing what trivia isn't "too trivial" - everything was interesting. I particularly enjoyed the 7 things banned by Wal-Mart and the random Mr. Rogers facts.
Shana Dennis
This book was funny and informative. I will be annoying my friends and family for years to come with little factoids relating to almost any situation!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I love this sort of thing, and mental_floss NEVER disappoints. Lots of fun facts in list form for easy, and quick, reading.
Natasha  A.
Cute, clever, and fascinating!
Sheila DeChantal
Do you like facts? Fun facts, interesting facts, facts that are conversation starters? Then this book is for you! Filled with lists of facts that are just funny, interesting, and yeah... sometimes down right odd...

Here are a few examples:

Five Presidential Fashion Flubs (did you know that Thomas Jefferson sometimes greeted dignitaries while wearing his PJ's?)
Questions that probably need answers Immediately (can a pregnant woman drive in the carpool lane - appears that is a yes)
Eight Everyday Item...more
Lydia Margaret
Book 15 of 52
If you love collecting useless information, this book is for you! It reminded me of what a long version of The Amazing Book of Useless Information (which is a favorite of mine) would be like. Lots of interesting lists and subjects. Would make an excellent coffee table/waiting room book.
Rachel Craig
I'm not sure how to rate a book composed only of lists. Some of the lists were interesting. Some of them weren't. I love Mental Floss stuff in general, so I wasn't disapponted with what I read. It has at least one list everyone can get interested in. It's skimming material.
Janet
Highly entertaining, broad topics, and well-reserached. Great book to read right before bed.
Sue
Guess it's not a good idea to read this in one sitting . . . 'cause now I don't remember much o' anything. Actually, too much of this cannot be verified.
Emma
Very well researched and a lot of it interesting, but tons of dull material actually made it hard to get through for some chapters.
Andy
Perfect - short and snappy tidbits of interesting info. I also really liked the variety of subjects covered. Great for bathroom reading!
Jenn
I just love books of lists in any shape or form, and this one from mental_floss is near the top of MY list of favorites!
Terry
For a collection of lists of interesting tidbits, it was very good. Not otherwise a book.
Tricia
loads of fun, although I had already read many of the entries due to cracked.com
Wayne
Like everything Mental Floss does a fasinating group of facts. Well done, I recommend it.
Kate
Brimming with amazingly useless trivia.
Aimee
Fun fun book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge: A Deliciously Irreverent Guide to Feeling Smart Again Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents) Mental Floss Presents Condensed Knowledge Mental Floss Presents Know It All Death Warrant: Kenneth Noye, the Brink's-Mat Robbery and the Gold

“In the 1940s and 1950s, the grass surface on most miniature golf courses was actually goat hair that had been dyed green.” 0 likes
“goalie Glenn Healy enjoyed a long career, and he also enjoyed playing the bagpipes. While playing for the Maple Leafs in 2000, Healy needed stitches after slicing himself while repairing an antique set of pipes.” 0 likes