Start by marking “Mary Ingalls on Her Own” as Want to Read:
Mary Ingalls on Her Own

Mary Ingalls on Her Own

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,123 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Mary IngalLs lost her sight after a devastating bout of scarlet fever. Now Mary has the opportunity to attend the Iowa College for the Blind, where she will get a fresh start with her education and can learn the skills she needs for an independent future as well.

It seems like a dream come true. But it also means leaving her cherished family behind in Dakota Territory, incl
Published December 26th 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Mary Ingalls on Her Own, please sign up.

Rachel It has been corrected in Pioneer Girl the annotated Biography, along with a few other articles that have been published. Laura picked a disease that…moreIt has been corrected in Pioneer Girl the annotated Biography, along with a few other articles that have been published. Laura picked a disease that was fairly well known that readers could relate to. Not all that is written in the Little House Books is pure unadulterated truth. Laura was known to fictionalize a bit to make them readable and to add excitement. I would recommend reading a few biographies of hers and possibly (if you are a big fan) reading Pioneer Girl. (less)

Kit
If you, like me, read the Little House books thinking of Mary as a goody-two-shoes (the outrage when she gave her share of the beads to Carrie, forcing Laura to do the same! Poor Laura couldn't even have a blue dress, because Mary was the one who was blond!), chances are you, like me, will be wondering how someone could pull off writing a whole book from Mary's point of view. The answer is: pretty well, actually.

The bar is high for Little House continuers, but most of them elect to write books s
Karol
I happened across this book when I was browsing in the childrens' section of my library. I found it well-written, but a bit too short. I would have liked for there to have been more. But, from the author's note at the end, there wasn't a great deal of information to go on. The author's note did give some history of the Iowa School for the Blind, as well as a web site for more information.

The author, I think, did a good job of portraying what Mary might have felt like on the inside. I have a frie
Leisl
I picked up this book with trepidation and excitement. I have loved the original LIW Little House books since I was little. I have liked some of the newer books about other family members (I liked the Caroline series), but they just aren't the same.

That's how I felt about this one. Really, it is very well done, I think, and over the years, I had often thought about what it must have been like for Mary to away to school. This book stays true to how Mary and her family spoke in the original serie
Cheryl C.
Elizabeth Kimmel Willard weaves a fascinating story of the first few months Mary Ingalls spends at the Iowa College for the Blind in Mary Ingalls on Her Own. Similar in style to the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, this book places the focus on Laura's beloved sister, Mary, as she seeks a way to become more independent. This is also a story that shows Mary confronting her feelings about being blind and the loss of the plans she had made before losing her eyesight.

Willard blends histo
Becky
Willard, Elizabeth Kimmel. 2008. Mary Ingalls On Her Own.

"Mary Ingalls stepped carefully from the train onto the bustling platform in Vinton, Iowa. She stood straight and quiet, her hands clasping the handle of her small suitcase. Her pale blue eyes shone with a mix of anxiety and excitement. Mary took a deep breath as the cool November breeze fanned her flushed cheeks and carried the hot smell of engine steam past her nose."

The novel, Mary Ingalls On Her Own, opens with Ma and Pa and Mary arriv
Megan Anderson
It was cute and brief. I would've liked it to be more about the life that she lived, except, of course, we don't really KNOW what her life was like at this time. I think I was expecting more in-depth information than a predictable story about her run-ins with an antagonistic young woman. The moral of the story...well, the author smacks you in the face with it. Repeatedly. For the last ten or fifteen pages.

A good book, especially for younger fans of the series, but I guess I was just expecting mo
Callie Stillion
This book was really good! I was surprised on some of the overall writing, though. It didn`t fulfill the exact subject I thought it would. But it was still really, really good.
Mary is going to college! Even though she`s blind, she`s found a college for the blind. But Mattie is mean to her, and she`s already gotten off on the wrong foot on her first day!
When she finally meets Blanche and Hannah, everybody wants to know how she went blind. Soon everyone explains that Mattie isn`t totally blind, a
Kris
I read this as a HUGE Little House fan. I thought it might have some interesting facts about Mary's life, perhaps from research, etc.

What was written was NOT true to Mary's character at all. They're trying to to turn her into some revisionist Mary with more modern sensibilities. I was actually a little angry when I finished it. (I know, I know, get a grip, but I WAS).

Don't waste your time with any "new" Little House products.
Renee
May 29, 2008 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3rd-5th
Mary’s parents take her to Iowa College For the Blind. Mary navigates a new place and new friends with optimism until she meets a very pessimistic fellow student Mattie. The Afterword explains that Mary lost her sight at the age of 14 and little is known what occurred during her years attending Iowa College For the Blind from 1881-1889. Fans of the other Wilder books will enjoy this quaint story as well.

No reviews found.

Lithia
In short, it met my expectations and I enjoyed it. I was a bit bothered by the fact that Mattie was a fictional character. However, the biggest problem was that it was too short! I thoroughly enjoyed Mary's character and would have been interested in more details about her life at the blind school. Harper Collins could have made a series about Mary.
Having read the Little House series as a child, I found that this book fits in really well with the other books. The book takes place two years after Mary goes blind and shares about her beginning experience about attending the Iowa College for the Blind.
Ashlei Kretz
Well its probably just because I was obsessed with Little House on the Prairie as a kid and always wondered how Mary felt but I really liked this book for that reason. It addressed exactly that; what about Mary Ingalls? It was a good quick read.
Amy Flink
I love to see theses spinoff Little House books. Very interesting to read from Mary's point of view. I kind of hope there are more books about Mary to come. Mary is a lovely graceful character. She took her blindness very gracefully.
Linda
It is interesting reading and imagining what Mary Ingall's life was like in The College for the Blind. But reading this book showed me stories about the Ingalls not written by an Ingall is not worth the read.
Courtney
Not the most comprehensive book, but for a short fiction piece it fits in nicely with the Little House books. Makes me wish we had an actual account of Mary.
withoutwings
Good short read. I enjoyed reading more from the Little House series, but I felt that this novel lacked the certain charm that the original series had.
Laurie
Adds an interesting chapter to the Ingalls family saga.
Mary develops a personality.
A little preachy at the end in regards to blindness.
Angela
A fun look into what Mary Ingalls' life at the school for the blind might have been like.
Cherylck
Another Little House book I would have loved to read as a child....
Madison
It was touching
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #2)
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend
  • Young Pioneers
  • I Remember Laura: Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Little House in the Ozarks: The Rediscovered Writings
School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1) ParaNorman: A Novel Extended Free Preview Lily B. on the Brink of Cool Scaredy Kat (Suddenly Supernatural #2) Unhappy Medium (Suddenly Supernatural, #3)