Start by marking “John for Everyone: Chapters 1-10 (For Everyone)” as Want to Read:
John for Everyone: Chapters 1-10 (For Everyone)

John for Everyone: Chapters 1-10 (New Testament For Everyone)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Tom Wright has undertaken a tremendous task: to provide guides to all the books of the New Testament, and to include in them his own translation of the entire text. Each short passage is followed by a highly readable discussion, with background information, useful explanations and suggestions, and thoughts as to how the text can be relevant to our lives today. A glossary i ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about John for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John for Everyone

If you want top-notch scholarship in a supremely readable format, this commentary series is for you. Tom Wright (a.k.a. N.T. Wright) has forged a reputation as a world-class historian of first-century Roman and first-century Jewish culture, and simultaneously as a world-class theologian. His "For Everyone" commentaries bring all that knowledge into a slim volume for each book of the New Testament (two volumes in a few cases, like John's Gospel). I have enjoyed using this book and others as devot ...more
Travis Daniel Bow
A pretty decent study book to get some more info about John, with some detail on the subtleties and looks at the big picture. Unfortunately it's somewhere in the no-man's-land between being a quick, light devotional read and a serious theological commentary. It's too long and detailed to be a quick get-to-know-John book and it's too vague to be much use for interpreting the tricky theological parts of John.
I read almost all of this book as a way to gain more from my Bible study. While I didn't like NT Wright's use of his own translation in addition to the commentary, he offered many insights that I had never thought of. One of the things I liked best was how he made a lot of Old Testament connections. I found myself flipping back to the OT and having a lot of ah-ha moments.
Continuing through my reading of N.T. Wright's popular commentaries on the New Testament, I have now come to the last book of the Gospel narratives, John. Mr. Wright chooses to split his commentary into two parts and this one covers the first 10 chapters of John. Personally, considering how Mr. Wright was able to fit his entire commentary on Luke into one book and that, thus far, this is the shortest commentary in the series, I think splitting this commentary into two was unnecessary. Still, tha ...more
Christopher Goins
Aug 07, 2014 Christopher Goins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Douglas Wilson once said that N.T. Wright is good on Jesus and very muddled or confusing on Paul. This book, focusing on Jesus in the Gospel of John, would be an example of that.

At the end of the book of John (not covered by this book) we read: "But there are also many other things that Jesus did; if every one of them were written down, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." Something similar could be said of the the number of gems in this book. Of co
Becky B
NT Wright breaks down the first half of the book of John pericope by pericope. After providing his own English translation of the passage, Wright gives an anecdotal story that he will then relate to as he breaks down the meaning and point of the passage. He does all of this in easy to read language while not skimping on the richness and depth of the text. It is a unique (and happy) medium between the two extremes of Biblical commentaries: the more scholarly expository-style commentaries that req ...more
I haven't read almost any commentary before, and I wasn't completely sure what to expect or even exactly what I wanted from it. I *think* this one is generally much more readable than many of them. It's a gentle walkthrough the book of John- which I guess is what you would expect from a commentary on John. I suppose I was just hoping for something that was startlingly insightful, which this wasn't for me. Perhaps I've just heard all the things he had to say before.

So far I've only had a few min
I loved this! N. T. Wright, whose New Perspective on Paul makes many evangelicals wary of him, is nevertheless a brilliant scholar with a high regard for the scriptures. At first, I was disappointed by the small size of this first volume. (It's only 150 pages or so.) But even though Wright won't address meticulous and very particular issues, he nevertheless manages to illuminate the episodes of John in new and easy to understand ways, and he weaves them all together to point out the main message ...more
N.T. Wright has the wonderful gift of being able to write in a very gentle accessible way whilst getting across a lot of ideas and inspiration. This commentary is a great example of that. Littered with many illustrations from modern life he traces the key question of Jesus' identity through the Gospel, drawing on John's symbolism and his use of and illusion to Old Testament scripture. It is this aspect which I found most helpful having never spotted such parallels before such as between the feed ...more
Pete Williamson
I was using this as a reference for my sermon prep (I'm preaching through John's gospel). It's a little too devotionally minded for my purposes, hence the lower ranking. Not a bad book, just not what I needed.
This is very good as a devotoinal resource or for illustrations for sermons. Not the most academic, but is certaily supported by N.T. Wrigtht's fabeled scholarship. Great resource for laity.
Daniel Wright
In the introduction to each book in his For Everyone series, Tom Wright says this:

On the very first occasion when someone stood up in public to tell people about Jesus, he made it very clear: this message is for everyone.

I've only just realised that this isn't strictly true. He's referring, of course, to Peter's sermon on Pentecost in Acts 2, but I'm pretty sure that at this stage Peter hadn't yet come to see that the message was for gentiles as well as Jews.

But it's an excellent springboard f
N.T. Wright's “John for Everyone” is exactly what its title claims to be. It is a readable, accessible commentary on the most important themes in the first 10 chapters of John, one passage at a time. I think it could be a great benefit to anyone who did not have a strong history in Biblical context and wanted to better understand exactly what John is getting at in his gospel.

I gave it three stars, rather than more, only because it doesn't aspire to much. It's a simple book meant to help you with
After reading Wright's commentary on Matthew, I was a little disappointed in this one. It was a bit bland; it seems like Matthew was a bit more challenging.

This one seemed more dumbed down on one hand, but on the other, it had more trite,"evangelical"-like language that people new to the Gospels wouldn't understand. Like it was written for long-time Christians, but Christians who don't like to think.

Wright's arguments were poorer in this book, and his stories were less fitting. The analogies l
The Gospel of John is another masterwork of literature and theology. However, I think we miss some of the great depth and treasures that are in John because we only look at the gospels through the hermeneutic(or lens) of common sense. We only read the surface but don't connect the bigger themes of who Jesus is, why he was born, and why he had to die to the many stories John tells. This book helps to tell the fuller story of the Gospel of John.
Rick Boyer
Once again, Dr. Wright has written a clear, user-friendly, scholarship-backed, tool for profitable use by laypeople. A great resource for anyone who desires a better understanding of the first half of the Gospel of John.
David Holford
I have yet to be disappointed with Wright's "For Everyone" series. As the titles in the series imply, it is very accessible at any level of biblical background. And like all the others, this volume is a gentle blend of devotional and exegetical content. Wright's focus is on giving the reader a feel for the whole book as a book - to capture John's overall unique presentation of the story of Jesus.
Excellent way to to read John's gospel. Wonderful study questions as NT Wright ask the reader to seek questions as the read and listen to scripture. He asks us to consider Jesus' signs as indicators of God's opening to our lives of faith. Am excited about hearing scripture an Wright's insights in chalets 11-21 of the Gospel story.
Wright breaks down each chapter into short chunks and then adds his reader-friendly, insightful commentary. Great tool for personal Bible study
very good. I used it to supplement my materials for Sunday school class.
This series is excellent.
Kathe Masterson
Kathe Masterson marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
John Dobbs
John Dobbs is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2015
  • Paul for Everyone: 1 Corinthians
  • Genesis
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • Matthew  (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament

He also publishes under N.T. Wright.
More about Tom Wright...

New Testament For Everyone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Matthew for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-15