Start by marking “I'm Adopted!” as Want to Read:
I'm Adopted!

I'm Adopted!

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Why was I adopted? What was it like where I was born? How did you find me?
Children have many questions about adoption. With a perceptive text and dynamic photographs, the creators of this book demystify adoption for young children and celebrate the joy that comes with adding to a family.
Published August 1st 2011 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about I'm Adopted!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Adopted!

Garren
Dec 03, 2014 Garren rated it liked it
Another photograph-rich picture book from Shelley and Sheila. Many types of families are shown (see also their "Shades of People" picture book), including single parents and same-sex parents. It's a sensitive book: "When people are unable to make a baby, or choose not to, they can adopt one."

Domestic and foreign adoption options are shown. There's an important few pages on why mothers put their babies up for adoption:

"It may have been because she was too young and had no one to help her
or was to
Ashley
Oct 11, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Title / Author / Publication Date:
I’m Adopted! / Rotner, Shelley. Kelly, Sheila M. / 2011

Genre: Nonfiction

Format: Picture Book – print

Plot summary:
Contains simple, conversational text to broadly cover how and why families are formed through adoption. It’s told plainly and generically allowing children to impose their own thoughts and experiences. Includes colorful, engaging photos that depict a variety of families, including multiracial families, gay and lesbian parents, single parents, only chi
Kristen Herzog
Jun 12, 2014 Kristen Herzog rated it liked it
Shelves: rll528-adoption
I’m Adopted! By Shelley Rotner and Sheila M. Kelly is a book that focuses on photographs of families with adopted children. Text is short and to the point but I did notice that some of the vocabulary used while sharing the reasons that children are put up for adoption might be sensitive for some readers. This would be a great book to utilize when introducing the topic of adoption to young readers. Pictures are very diverse and very bright and colorful. I did like that in the author’s note at the ...more
Ann Cox
Oct 10, 2014 Ann Cox rated it it was amazing
Many of the different reasons children are adopted or put up for adoption, as well as what different families look like who do adopt, are explored in this nonfiction picture book that uses photographs of actual families. I loved this book for the simple and elegant way it explains adoption. I think this would be a great read aloud for a preschooler who was adopted as the text is minimal and the pictures take up most of the page.
Kelly
The strength of this text is its photographs. For me, that harder part is the language. Because it is so explicit, there is a TON of value in its directness, but it can also be a challenge when families don't use these terms and/or haven't had some of the conversations with their adopted or foster children that make the text connect in a positive, affirming way. There are some contexts in which this text is utterly perfect. There are other contexts where it must be used carefully and judiciously ...more
Terita Parms
Feb 12, 2016 Terita Parms rated it it was amazing
This book truly warmed my heart, I loved the fact that they used pictures from actual families that have adopted. Also the quotes from the actual kids on various pages was an added bonus. It is truly a beautiful book.
Kaitlin
Jan 24, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
A sweet book with lots of pictures of loving adoptive families. The text is brief but touches on some of the ways adoptive families work.

The pictures were definitely the best part.
Susan
Nov 17, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Love it for the photos of different kinds of families. Troubled by some of the phrases that seem to wash the pain out of adoption.
Hilary
Heavy on pictures and light on text, the straightforward , spare prose is carefully worded, clear, and empathetic. The most frequently asked questions regarding adoption are answered here. The overall tone is upbeat but still addresses some of the difficult reasons children are made available for adoption. The pictures depict happy children and families. Given the brevity of the text, the authors note that the book does not cover all adoption agreements. Still this perceptive volume is sure to b ...more
Emelda
Jan 18, 2014 Emelda rated it liked it
Simple, includes multicultural families/parents and queer parents. It's short on words, but the focus is the pictures- a great book for young kids, as they can revisit the book on their own often, due to the simple words and picture-heavy content.
Samantha
Sep 19, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Great book about an important subject. This book is heavy on pictures and light on text, though every bit of text is carefully worded and essential. This will be one of my first go-to books about the subject of adoption. The overall tone is positive despite the mention of some difficult reasons why children are adopted. The pictures are big and clear and depict happy children and happy families, and the most commonly asked questions regarding adoption are answered in text. The authors note that ...more
Angie
Mar 06, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Beautifully done.
Maddypictures
Mar 22, 2012 Maddypictures rated it really liked it
A basic introduction to the idea of what adoption is, and how adopted families come to be formed. Covers both international and domestic adoption. Plenty of bright, clear photographs of diverse children in happy families - this book should corner the market for introductory adoption books for young families or the early-education classroom for a good decade or so - at least until the photos begin to look dated.
Marta Boksenbaum
Feb 12, 2013 Marta Boksenbaum rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book describes adoption, using real photos of adopted children and their parents. It explains how adoption works and some of the reasons it happens in simple, understandable language. The people photographed come from many different races and ethnicities, and many different situations. This book is a great resource for any child looking for information on adaption, or an adult who needs help explaining it.
Erica
A good informational book about adoption. It's obviously for the younger set and is very heavy on pictures with simple text. This is a good book to look at with younger kids and to talk about the similarities and differences in adoptive families. I love that they cover international adoption as well as domestic adoption.
Sun Hee  Yoon
Jun 16, 2012 Sun Hee Yoon rated it really liked it
I read this book to my daughter in her bedtime. Looking at the pictures, she seemed to contemplate. At the end of the story she said, "this book is way too sad to hear for the little children." I couldn't agree more. Sad reality it is, but I wanted her to understand everybody has a different background.
Angela
Jul 13, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
One of the best non-fiction books on adoption I've seen for the younger set. Straight-forward, clear-thinking and with lots of heart. An important book for libraries, classrooms, and adopted children anywhere.
Kelly Whelchel
Use this book when dealing with adoption and different types of families. Teach the students that each household is made up differently.
Polly
Sep 09, 2011 Polly rated it really liked it
A nice book. Very straightforward, and lovely photos.
Terry
Jul 13, 2011 Terry added it
Great book for families to share and for educators, too.
Emily
Sep 22, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
3.5
Anaiya
Anaiya marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Mae Claire
Mae Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Cindy III
Cindy III rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015