Het Codicil

Het Codicil

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this moving, brilliantly rendered page-turner of a novel, veteran screenwriter Tom Topor (The Accused) delivers what will be one of the most talked-about books of the season, a completely engrossing thriller that explores the mysteries of the heart as well as those of class, identity, and paternity. Telecommunications magnate Matthew Marshall is dead. His wife and three...more
Paperback
Published 1999 by De Boekerij (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Het Codicil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Het Codicil

Geoff Sebesta
This is one of those books that I would sort of recommend if there was any reasonable way of finding it. But it's an airport novel from sixteen years ago and there are few things more thoroughly out of print than that. It's a sort of legal-eagle thriller in the style of The Firm where a tough-as-nails-but-deep-down-has-a-heart-of-gold lawyer searches for a dead rich man's Vietnam War child so that she can be given half of the inheritance and of course people don't want to her be found and blah b...more
Michael
Matt Marshall had a heart attack and died at age fifty-one. Shortly before his death, he changed his will so that half of his $105 million dollar estate will go to a daughter he fathered while serving in Vietnam. He had never met this daughter, although he tried, and a conditin of the will is that his daughter is alive and living in the United States.

Former defense attorney turned private investigator, Adam Bruno is hired to find the woman. However, since Marshall's family stands to lose half of...more
Jamie
The book deserves a better rating than what is given here. It kept my attention throughout. A quick read. I would have liked to read more Adam Bruno detective novels, but it seems there is only one.
Johnny Archer
Well written and hard to put down. I recommend it.
Jeff
Not a bad book, not a good book, but not a bad book. Maybe I was expecting more from Tom Topor, who wrote the play Nuts. The dialogue was nothing special. Except for a few riveting scenes, the plotting was meh. The characters were unformed and bland. And the ending... oy vey...where the hell did that come from?
Carla
I actually listened to this as an (unabridged) audiobook, and I really enjoyed it. It's a "mystery" of sorts, but of a different type than I've ever read before ... basically, a legal thriller with many twists and turns. The characters were compelling, and I liked the tie-in to the Vietnam war.
Joe White
The descriptions of combat and general life in Vietnam resonate with a detail that matches many descriptions provided by many veterans with in country revelations.
The detective detail question list per topic might rank beside the detail of items that the best investigators would use.
Lynne
put on your bedside table- you won't stay up past your bedtime because it's not that captivating. It read as though a good writer couldn't be bothered to put more time into it.
Goodreader
Really liked this....read really smoothly & kept interest...surprised not a movie & that Topor doesn't have alot more published by now.
Rully Resa
cukup menegangkan dan seru, membawa pembaca menjadi penasaran sampai enggan melepaskan konsentrasi pada cerita.
Monica
This book reads more like an article than a story. No character to like, no story I can really get behind.
Jon
The last sentence in this book taught me absolutely everything i needed to know about how we show love.
Janene
Mar 26, 2009 Janene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My partner-in-crime Barb bought this for me! Thanks, girlfriend!
Al Stoess
Well done. Ending could be better.
Indah Threez Lestari
3 stars outta five.
Toesnorth's mom
pretty good
Jill
Fast på svenska. Kass översättning, men den suger ändå tag i en.
Andrew Olsen
Andrew Olsen marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Ani
Ani added it
Apr 03, 2014
Patnel
Patnel added it
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tom Topor (born 1938) is an American playwright, screenwriter, and novelist.

Topor is the author of the 1980 play and 1987 screenplay Nuts, which became a starring vehicle for Barbra Streisand. He also wrote the screenplay for the 1988 film, The Accused, which starred Jodie Foster. Topor won the Writers Guild of America Award for his screenplay for the 1990 made-for-television film, Judgment, which...more
More about Tom Topor...