Start by marking “The Journeyman” as Want to Read:
The Journeyman

The Journeyman (Journeyman #1)

The boy isn't much to look at: thin, pale, and undersized for his age. Neighbors shake their heads over Jared Austin's odd ways. His father doesn't think he's good for anything much. Even his friend Jennet wonders what will become of him.

But Jared isn't concerned; he has his own ideas about what is really important. One day a journeyman painter visits their quiet New Hamps
Published November 1st 1990 by BJU Press (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about The Journeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journeyman

Melissa
Oct 27, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Yet another book I would have never picked up if it hadn't been in our home-school curriculum, but one I ended up truly liking. I just loved Jared Austin. I loved his attitude about everything. So many lessons to be learned from one character.
Lorena
Jun 28, 2008 Lorena rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lorena by: Sunlight Curriculum
Shelves: for-gabriella
I read this book with my 10 year old daughter, I loved the way the writer describes the way craft and art was pass down from master to apprentice, and the love of the art itself, it also dabs into the superstition that shrouded the American people at the beginning of the US.

My daughter loved to compare our lifestyle with the women in the book, how busy they sounded! How many responsibilities they had, they were true providers for their children and families in general.
Tammy
May 25, 2010 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this book each time I read it. The author has a real way with words and her descriptions flow!
Lisa
Oct 29, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Absolutely outstanding book about a young, gifted journeyman painter who finds himself the object of cruel gossip when people start accusing him of causing the brutally cold winter of 1816 in New Hampshire (and all of New England) that destroyed crops and stock, and led to starvation and death.
Olivia
Oct 13, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book! Elizabeth Yates did an excellent job with it. I really like how Jared is still friends with Corban at the end of the book.
Sarah Brazytis
Aug 13, 2016 Sarah Brazytis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a classic story with a beautiful message of faith.

Jared Austin, a young boy abused by his grieving and embittered father, is given a second chance at life and happiness as the apprentice of a journeyman painter. Thus begins his personal journey into manhood. Along the way he must learn to forgive and love, and what it means to carry faith and courage in his heart.

Elizabeth Yates, as always, does a superb job of bringing to life the qualities and graces of our pioneer forefathers. Jared,
Bryan Stevenson
Aug 22, 2013 Bryan Stevenson rated it really liked it
"There was such silence in the room that the flickering candles seemed almost like sound."

I loved the imagery. The book is about a young journeyman painter, so art and nature play a major role. I also grew to love the story. As others have mentioned it started slowly, but paced beautifully toward an engaging plot line. The themes of faith in troubled times, perseverance, and hard work are heavy, but handled in such a way that it is accessible for children. This was part of our home school curric
Jenny
There are some pretty deep themes in this book that made for some GREAT discussion. Katie and I were able to talk about idleness leading to gossip, and how completely it can damage someone's reputation. This author is very descriptive, which makes some passages slow, but keep persevering! It is worth every word! The same author wrote "Mountain Born," which was also lovely and made me cry. (I do not cry very easily when reading books.)
Mary
Feb 08, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book was rich in so many ways. I loved the blend of faith, nature and art. I enjoyed following Jared through his many challenges. His character is a wonderful example. It is definitely a new favorite for me.
Starr Cliff
Apr 23, 2015 Starr Cliff rated it really liked it
Part of kids school curriculum; my 9 year old daughter and I both loved this one. My 11 year old son pretended not to because of the love story element but he was engaged throughout. I loved the chapters where Jared is learning to become an artist and to draw his inspiration from nature.
Heather Denigan
This isn't a feel-good story. But you can't help struggling alongside the hero and the girl he loves. You will also find yourself thankful for global warming after enduring the year of "eighteen hundred and froze to death"
Michelle Montgomery
Feb 04, 2013 Michelle Montgomery rated it really liked it
Great book! The kids loved it too. I don't know why but I have always been fascinated by the history of itinerancy, particularly in New England. What a different world we live in now. It makes me wish I lived in simpler, more friendly times.
Alisha Bonnell
Mar 31, 2014 Alisha Bonnell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10+
Recommended to Alisha by: my school
this book is the best fiction book ever! it was nicely written, very clean, and extremely hard to put down.
Katie
Aug 10, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
This is a story about a rarely covered topic--the early traveling skilled worker. Although it's a little slow in places and has a fairly simple plot, it was still a good read.
Victoria
Jun 13, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this book is slightly boring, but a wonderful story unfolds for those who persevere! I enjoyed this book.
Montana Phan
Nov 28, 2010 Montana Phan rated it liked it
Just get through the beginning, and then you will start seeing things with Jared, and it has a very good part at the end you have to read to get to!
Dillon
Sep 12, 2012 Dillon rated it it was amazing
Emily
Apr 21, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
A book about an itinerant wall stenciler in the 1800's in New England, specifically NH. Love it. Caleb loves it. Full of life lessons in the midst of a good story.
Kendra
May 06, 2008 Kendra rated it really liked it
I loved this book about the journeyman stenciler. It is a great story. There is also a sequil to the book Hue and Cry.
Becky
Apr 16, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
Read this aloud to my kids as part of their American history curriculum. Yates' books aren't my favorite to read out loud but we soldiered through it (it gets better toward the end).
Karla
Karla rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Alyssa Handley
Alyssa Handley rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Christopher Wood
Christopher Wood rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Marybethcain
Marybethcain rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Story of Eli Whitney
  • Skippack School
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City
  • Toliver's Secret
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • North American Indians
  • Om-Kas-Toe Blackfoot Twin Captures Elkdog
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Calico Bush
  • A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn about the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles and Made Us Laugh and Cry
  • Meet George Washington
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
Elizabeth Yates, author of over forty books for children, was born in New York State on December 6th, 1905. Determined to be an author, she moved to New York City to launch her career. She worked a variety of jobs including reviewing book, writing short stories, and doing research. She moved to England with her husband and wrote her first book, High Holiday, based on her travels in Switzerland ...more
More about Elizabeth Yates...

Journeyman (2 books)
  • Hue & Cry

“Getting ready is the biggest part of any job, and the hardest, Jared...Lay your foundation true and firm, my boy, prepare your work well; the rest all but does itself.” 0 likes
“Can't you see that it doesn't matter what the world thinks if you've done your work the best you knew how to do?” 0 likes