Start by marking “Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them: Contemporary Michigan Literature” as Want to Read:
Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them: Contemporary Michigan Literature

Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them: Contemporary Michigan Literature

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
For Ghost Writers: Us Haunting Them editors Keith Taylor and Laura Kasischke asked twelve celebrated Michigan writers to submit new stories on one subject: ghosts. The resulting collection is a satisfying mix of tales by some of the state's most well-known and award-winning writers. Some of the pieces are true stories written by non-believers, while others are clearly fict ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Wayne State University Press (first published August 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Writers

Megan
Sep 27, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
It's difficult to rate a book of short stories by different authors, since my opinion on the different stories varies wildly. Some, like Ghost Anecdote, Backseat Driver, and Estate Sale were creepy. Others, like Bones on Bois Blanc, had potential but were let down by a rather dumb ending (in this case, a stupidly happy ending where everybody's problems--including a struggling marriage--were miraculously solved). Finally, there were ones that just made no sense--The Man at the Edge was one.
Tim
Sep 13, 2011 Tim rated it it was ok
The two editors, both contributors to this collection, have brought together ten other Michigan writers to produce some form of ghostly writing. All twelve pieces have Michigan settings, and each tale represents a varying degree of spectral—not spiritual—speculation. The editors challenge the reader to judge whether a piece might be a true tale, pure fiction, or personal essay.

When considering Michigan, most readers probably will consider the hard economic depression and depopulation that the St
Katie
Jan 26, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
The 'ghost' element is treated very differently in each of these stories. Some needed more development to connect the ghosts and the other story elements into a satisfying story.

I enjoyed the Laura Hulthen Thomas story "Bones on Bois Blanc" Anne-Marie Oomen's "Bitchathane." Those two had full characters (even the ghosts) and payoff.

Others felt like too-early drafts. Or, most annoying for a "Made in Michigan" book, the authors pushed Michigan stereotypes in ways that did no service to the story.
Kim
Nov 04, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
Okay, I may not have enjoyed all of the stories, but it was fun reading about stories in Michigan - fact or fiction. The one I liked most was about a lighthouse. Let me know which you enjoyed most.
Rachelle Urist
My book club read this. I read parts of it. The stories are haunting, but in the stories I read, the ghosts are not the supernatural kind. They are figments of the imagination, surreal in the way visions and sensations, fabricated by our minds, a real. They toy with our reality testing. The stories are rife with premonitions; ghosts of history; phantoms created by light, fear, anxiety, dread, remorse, and guilt. It's lovely to have these very real features of the psyche turned into stories that ...more
J
Jan 02, 2012 J rated it did not like it
I was excited to see a local book. But that excitement waned when the authors repeatedly pushed that fact - as if they realized it was the only selling point. And indeed, these stories have all the impact of random high school essays.

I was disappointed to see Wayne State University's heavy influence on the book. Their work product always seems to be heavily propagandized, misguided and substandard.
Patricia Joynton
Jul 28, 2012 Patricia Joynton rated it really liked it
If I liked ghostly stories I would give it a 5. The writing is excellent. And, even though ghostly stories are not my thing, I am enjoying it. I would recommend this book. I especially like the format of short stories. You can begin and end a story in a short period and do not have to pick it up in a continuous manner.

I am a little over half way through. No hurry.
Liz
Oct 31, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: wsup
Bought when I attended State of the Book 2012.
Marnie
May 08, 2012 Marnie marked it as to-read-fiction
2012 Michigan Notable Book
Quee
Quee marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Suzi Baum
Suzi Baum marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Rmk
Rmk marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Rajiv
Rajiv marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Gretchen Turonek
Gretchen Turonek rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Michelle Ruedin
Michelle Ruedin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Amy Linquist
Amy Linquist marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Michelle Kokones beish
Michelle Kokones beish marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Keith Taylor is a Canadian poet, translator and professor.

Born in British Columbia, Taylor spent his childhood in Alberta and Indiana. After earning an M.A. in English from Central Michigan University, he worked a variety of odd jobs: the co-host of a radio talk show, a house painter, a freight handler, a teacher, a freelance writer. He also worked at Shaman Drum, a leading independent bookstore,
More about Keith Taylor...