Start by marking “Go the F--k to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Go the F--k to Sleep

Go the F--k to Sleep

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  72,708 Ratings  ·  3,176 Reviews
Publisher's Summary

Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction) rocks this mock bedtime story, capturing a hilarious range of emotions as the voice of a father struggling to get his child to sleep.

Go the F**k to Sleep is a bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don’t always send a toddler sailing blissf
Audiobook, Digital Download, Unabridged, 1 page
Published June 13th 2011 by Audible Inc. (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Go the F--k to Sleep, please sign up.

Chris Tackett It's called that because that's the premise of the book. As for who made it, the author did.

Stephen
NEVER MIND THE VERY CATCHY TITLE...and disregard that it is only 32 pages long and designed to emulate those children’s books we parents read ad nauseum to our kids…THIS IS AN ANTHEM TO PARENTS EVERYWHERE, an honest celebration of that all too familiar experience that we have all been through…and I laughed my mental-cursing, temper-losing, patience-exhausted, anger-rising, sleep-deprived ass off the entire time I was reading it.

In addition to being Hangover funny, it is also surprisingly comfor
Kat Kennedy
I can't express how much I love this book. My son is currently whining because he's supposed to be napping.

Yeah, good fucking luck on that one.

evil

But this book is so awesome because it's true. I think I've thought almost every word in this book toward my son at some point.

Seriously, boy! Mummy needs her GoodReads time so GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP!!!

Fran
Feb 22, 2017 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one for profanity...but...this book read by Samuel L. Jackson is truly what happens at sleep time! An Adult read!
Riverina Romantics
Jun 25, 2011 Riverina Romantics rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: on-blog
Oh my gosh this book is fucking hilarious!

I had a discussion only this week with my husband about why the hell people don’t tell you how evil kids are before you have the little fuckers.

The author of this book needs to write a whole series – I already have book titles prepared:
~ Sit the fuck on the toilet
~ Eat your fucking vegetables
~ Stop bitch slapping your brother
~ Stop screaming before mummy turns fucking cray cray.

And the one I currently need:
~ Get that finger out of your fucking nose

And o
PorshaJo
If you are looking for a quick laugh (about 5 mins) listen to this book. Samuel Jackson reading this funny adult book. Though, there is a lot of swearing. I heard the audio was great and I had been looking for it. Thanks to Mischenko for pointing out it is available on YouTube:
Mischenko
Feb 22, 2017 Mischenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!

As soon as I saw this, I had to read it. I went straight to Amazon and snatched the kindle edition. The story is hilarious and the illustrations are great. A definite conversation piece.

After buying it, I realized I could've watched it on YouTube for free! And better yet, narrated by one of my favorite actors, Samuel L. Jackson.

4****
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

I just had to get this audio when I heard that Samuel L. Jackson was the narrator! I just love him! He has a little intro he does in the beginning talking about his kids and his friends kids that was funny as well.

This is a funny ADULT CHILDREN'S BOOK! This is NOT A BOOK TO READ TO YOUR KIDS! Unless you really want to ☺

The book is a very short audio book as you can imagine but it was only $3 and some change on Amazon and hey, it's Samuel reading! I loved it! ♥

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading L
Miriam
Apr 27, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sucks to be you
Shelves: picture
I guess my parents were lucky -- we pretty much went to sleep without fussing. And if we got up again we usually played quietly without disturbing our parents. And the kids I baby-sat most often went to sleep pretty obligingly, too, probably because I played energetic games with them so they were wiped out. I remember having to convince one very docile girl that it would be okay for her to go to bed early if she wanted to. She could hardly keep her eyes open by 7:20 but thought she had to stay u ...more
Adina
Feb 22, 2017 Adina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny! I would probably appreciate the little gem even better if I had a kid. You can hear this on You Tube narrated by Samuel L. Jackson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0t9...

Thanks to Alina for the inspiration to read/listen to this.
Catie
Jun 09, 2011 Catie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, humor
This book so perfectly homes in on the grand canyon sized pit of frustration, weariness, and impotence that every parent carries around inside. It’s that place that is systematically tamped down and compartmentalized to make way for an entirely new kind of person. The kind of person who can dig up the enthusiasm to clap and cheer for your three year old when she shouts “I NEED TO GO POTTY!!” at 2am, even though inside all you can think is, “my god, I am so fucking tired.” The kind of person who ...more
Bradley
Oct 05, 2011 Bradley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book on Amazon and thought it looked cute, so I bought it to read for my four-year-old at bedtime. I was looking forward to receiving it, but when I opened up the package, I was horrified to see a sleeping child surrounded by tigers. Children should not sleep in the presence of tigers. Tigers are dangerous! Had I noticed the tigers on the cover from the start, I never would have purchased the book. I thought they were just really big cats from some magical land like Oz or ...more
Steph Sinclair

If Snakes on a Plane (view spoiler) and Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes had a baby it would be this audio book. It was pure genius to have Samuel L. Jackson narrate. I mean, who's inner Samuel L. Jackson doesn't come out when they are sleep deprived, right?

When I'm sleepy, I'm the nastiest person you would ever have the misfortune of meeting. But somehow fate would have it that I'd be cursed blessed with the wor
Amanda
Jun 19, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Even though I will vehemently deny it around people who know me, every once in a while I look at all the people who suck in the world and think I owe it to humanity to procreate. Why? Because, and I don't want to undersell this, I really think my children would be awesome. However, there are three primary reasons I have thus far refused to give in to any maternal instinct: 1) pregnancy and childbirth hold no appeal whatsoever as I don't think the whole host/parasite dynamic is that magical, 2) w ...more
Becky
Jun 19, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, thank you StumbleUpon, for taking me to this site, and allowing me to experience the audio reading of this book, with accompanying video of the illustrations. It was awesome.

I think if I had read this on my own... 3 stars maybe. It was cute, kinda witty, but nothing spectacular. But I gave this 5 stars. And called it 'awesome'.

Why? Four words: Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson.

That's right. Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson. And for all 6 minutes of this audio, I was enthralled, laughing an
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Feb 18, 2017 Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody!
5 Best.Bedtime.Story.Ever! stars

description

I must admit I'm still wondering if I should let my son listen to this little gem or not.

description

I'm sure he'll love it. And laugh about it. And that would just incite him more instead of helping him fall asleep.

description

You simply need to listen to Samuel L. Jackson reading this! He does an amazing job.

Kemper
Jun 20, 2011 Kemper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
So I was checking out Audible.com tonight and they were giving this away for free. And who was reading it? Samuel L. Jackson. I'm sure the text and pictures are hilarious in the print version, but with Mr. Motherfucker himself reading this, I nearly had a rupture from the laughter.

And it’s especially funny to me because I don’t have kids. So I’ll be dreaming about all you parents cursing your children as I’m getting a solid 8 to 9 hours of sleep tonight. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......
Onaiza Khan
Feb 26, 2017 Onaiza Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God, this is hilarious...
Melody
Jul 17, 2011 Melody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Marginally clever one-trick pony. The sad part is that as clever and as cute as this is, Mansbach isn't a good enough writer for the concept. It could have been far, far funnier, instead of relying on the constant repetition of "fuck" to carry the weight. I especially liked the page with the tiger, but mostly it was an exercise in regret that this book was not in the hands of someone like Dr. Seuss or even better, Philip Larkin. Two and a half stars, more for concept than execution.
Mwanamali Mari
First of all, that title!
Second of all, Sam L Jackson!

Finally,

So I'm off the fuck to sleep.
Yeah I know I'm at work.
But I don't give a damn. Bitch.

description

Thanks for bringing this to me Adina...
Petra Eggs
May 22, 2011 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humour, reviewed
Every parent whose ever lived has, at some point (but mostly regularly, at lots of points) wanted to tell their kid GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP. (And if you say you never wanted to, your child either didn't have vocal cords or you are telling big porkies). This book says it on every page and the beautiful illustrations and to-the-point poetry will elicit much sympathy and humour on the part of any reader. But perhaps not the knowing looks that will pass between the tired, sleep-deprived parents of a ba ...more
Nikki
Jun 15, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I heard of Go The Fuck To Sleep -- who hasn't? -- through the internet buzz about it. Actually, possibly through someone writing analytically about the internet buzz about it, which included distribution of illegal PDF copies, and what that means for ebook piracy. That's a pretty interesting phenomenon in itself, because this book sold like crazy.

It's in the style of a children's book, with pictures that might be appealing to a child (bright colours, exotic animals, etc), and short verses -- and
Athena Shardbearer
Best book ever!

The flowers doze low in the meadows
and high on the mountains so steep.
My life is a failure, I’m a shitty-ass parent.
Stop fucking with me, please, and sleep.

Mark
Aug 06, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spoof, comic-work
This is one of those 'God bless you Goodreads ' type books. I can not imagine, having no children of my own, that I would ever have got to see a copy of this tome had it not been for the good offices of others reviewing it here. It was hilarious.

The pictures are beautifully drawn anyway but the rhymes are an absolute scream. Being only an uncle and twice great uncle I do not ever have the horror of children refusing to sleep as I can always hand them back even if i have been the fiend responsib
Mara
I actually think my stomach muscles will be sore tomorrow from laughing so hard. So, in summation, listening to Samuel L. Jackson read this is an excellent alternative to going to the gym.

For all you Reading Rainbow fans out there, Levar Burton also nails his narration of this same gem of a bedtime story.
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, audio-book
Isn't everything better when read by Samuel L. Jackson? Listen for yourself and download the audio version for free here. This is a cute and only slightly threatening childrens story for adults. I love it! =)
Kristin ❋extols death with luminescent brilliance❋
All the yesses and stars. If you are a parent or caregiver, you will have all the feels

sometimes, it's not worth the battle...count your blessings, except your loss...

my personal favorite...
John J.
Jun 09, 2011 John J. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I read Go the F*k to Sleep at the B&N in Union Station a few minutes before I had to catch a train after a long day of work to return home to my sometimes fussy two-month old daughter. After seeing all of the hype and the Amazon preorder sales rankings, I thought it would be ROFLMFAO funny.

It was not. It wasn't ROFLMAO funny, nor even LMAO funny... neither was it ROFL funny nor LOL funny. Maybe I don't have a sense of humor. Or maybe my kid is a frakking saint...

Or maybe this book is nothin
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2011
Way back in the day, when I was new to drawing peoples faces for a living I ran across a couple of people that still pop up in my memory. This book jogged it to the front of my brain once again.

Picture a rather large Italian American man, think Chris Christie, think Tony Soprano. Now picture this mans child of the approximate age of 7. Listen...hear the heavy New Jersey accents......and....

Tony: So, uhh, d'ya tink yous can draw my kid?

Me: Um, sure. ?

Kid: Awe c'mon dad! I wanna ride some coasters
Joanne
Jul 31, 2011 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I think the word f**k is one of the cleverest in the English language, with its myriad forms of application. I use it myself, sparingly, when the occasion's right. My initial reaction to "Go the F**k to Sleep" was that I liked it because it was funny. It's where most of us get to at a certain time of the night, when our darling little angels just won't play fair. But by the time I reached the end, I was over it.

So, who is it for? You can't read it to your child. You can't leave it lying around t
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 09, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents -- and people who wanna be parents
Definitely not my usual reading material. Deceiving though the length and cover are, that title blares it all out loud and clear: this ain't a children's book.

I'm not a parent (and don't plan to be one), but I'm sure a lot of parents will be nodding along with this book if they read it. It really strikes a chord since a lot of kids just don't wanna go to sleep.

I was one of those bad kidlets who kept her mommy up at night by making up all kinds of excuses for why I couldn't go to sleep. (Kinda ma
2015 Reading Chal...: Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach 3 47 Feb 20, 2015 04:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Language in title 4 89 Aug 18, 2011 09:42AM
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Goodnight iPad: A Parody for the Next Generation
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • Every Thing on It
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Pat the Zombie: A Cruel (Adult) Spoof
  • The Princess & the Penis
  • Darth Vader and Son
  • How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike (And They Will)
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
  • I Hate Everything
Adam Mansbach is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Go the Fuck to Sleep, which has been translated into 40 languages, and was Time Magazine's 2011 "Thing of the Year." The sequel, "You Have to Fucking Eat," was published in November and is also a New York Times bestseller.

Mansbach's 2013 novel, Rage is Back, was named a Best Book of the Year by NPR and the San Francisco Chronicle and
More about Adam Mansbach...

“I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.” 64 likes
“All the kids from daycare are in dreamland.
The froggie has made his last leap.
Hell no you can't go to the bathroom.
You know where you can go?
The f**k to sleep.”