The Truth About Stacey: A Graphic Novel (BSC Graphix, #2)

The Truth About Stacey: A Graphic Novel (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  874 ratings  ·  84 reviews
America's favorite baby-sitters come to life in a new graphic novel series!

Poor Stacey. She's moved to a new town. She's still coming to terms with her diabetes. She's facing baby-sitting problems left and right. And her parents are no help.

Luckily, Stacey has three new, true friends -- Kristy, Claudia, and Mary Anne. Together they're the BSC, and they will deal with whate...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Scholastic Graphix

laaaaames
Nov 19, 2007 laaaaames rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recovering hypochondriacs
Until I was about twenty-seven, I was absolutely terrified I would wet the bed. Now, I have never, ever wet the bed as an adult or a child, but I figured if I ever accidentally wet the bed, I was going to end up with diabetes (or at least a lot of blood work to find out I didn't have it) so basically I trained my bladder to awaken me upon the slightest hint, which means up until I forced myself out of this habit, I was getting up every night about five and six times for next to nothing.

Once I wa...more
Sarita
These books hold up so well, particularly with their new outfits and context via Ms. Telgemeier (We ADORE Telgemeier at our house). I appreciate the girls' varying strengths, attitudes, and the way they work out problems together. It's not preachy - it's how life kinda works for a lot of kids like me and my friends and for my kids and their friends. Just every day stuff, done so well.
I'm almost glad there aren't more of them - Littlest Kid had to get used to reading regular novels to find out wh...more
Natalia
Dec 10, 2010 Natalia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My cousin
Recommended to Natalia by: Nobody
Riley S
I read The Truth about Stacey by Raina Telgemier. I enjoyed this book because it was very funny and relatable. I loved this book especially in the series because of the main character Stacey. She moved from New York City. It was fun to read about considering the fact I have also moved several times. I thought it was very funny how when she was telling her friends she was diabetic all of her friends thought she was about to say she was anorexic. I did like how it was the comic book version of the...more
Mrs W
I’m a fan of Raina Telgemeier’s graphic novels, and I loved the Baby-Sitters Club novels in junior high. I think Raina is a great choice for adapting these stories into a graphic series because her playful, cartoony style is appealing to young readers, and I suspect she’s a fan. (A BSC book made a cameo in her graphic memoir Smile.)

This second book adapts the third original novel, and is from seventh-grader Stacey’s perspective. It shows how her diabetes affects her life. Her friends in New York...more
Holly Letson
As a fan of the original BSC series of books, I was glad to get this book, so I could see the BSC girls as manga characters. But, I kept it on the shelf, keeping on meaning to read it, but never doing so. Then, this month, a Goodreads club I'm in had a thread where you use random.org to pick a number of a book on your to-read shelf, and my number matched this one. I still kept placing it aside to read other books, such as library books, but did finally finish it today.
-------------
Stacey McGil...more
Lindsay Robertson
Stacy has lived in New York City her entire life until in her early teens, she develops Type 1 Diabetes. Suddenly her parents force her to move to a small town in Connecticut where she restarts her life with the help of the local Baby-sitters Club. Things are going well until two older girls start the Babysitting Agency and start stealing the Club's clients. Follow Stacy as she works to come to terms with her diabetes and tries to save her Club's future.

I was never one to read comic books or gra...more
Alex.ferg
I'm not a big fan of this series, (I prefer the Boxcar Children series) and I'm also not a big fan of the graphic novel version. I prefer the chapter book setting because that is what I grew up reading, but I definitely know why most kids today would prefer the graphic novel version. It provides them with visuals, and this is great especially for struggling readers. Seeing the pictures might give them a better idea of what is happening. I also see why children like this series, it is about reali...more
Sammy
This is a wonderful book about 4 inspiring middle school girls joining a club called the baby sitters club so you can probably guess what they are doing...... They are baby sitting and through out the series there are twists and turns. The babysitters club is a wonderful graphic novel!!!!!
Kiera Beddes
Genre: graphic novel
Summary: Stacey has diabetes but her friends don't understand it so she feels isolated and alone, but as she helps the baby-sitter's club overcome some job competition she learns how to handle her condition and find friends again.
Response: I read the baby-sitters club books when I was younger and I loved them. This is the same story in a different genre, a graphic novel which tells the story more in pictures than words. It was a very quick read but it did deal with a variety...more
Nisha Porchezhiyan
Stacy moved too a new town and is still coming in terms with her diabetes. Luckily she meets 3 new true friends: Kristy, Claudia, and Mary Anne. Now together they joined to become the BSC (Baby-Sitters Club). When things looked like they were going well, a new baby-sitter agency tries to throw them off by competing with the BSC. The Baby-Sitters Agency is handing out fliers so people will call them and not the BSC. For example Kristy says, "The flier says the baby-sitters are 13 and older. Liz a...more
Kathryn Cullen
Stacey is the new girl in town. She left with her family from New York City. It is hard being the new girl in town. Stacey finds comfort and friends while being a member of the Babysitter's Club. However, Stacey is worried that they will find out about her have diabetes and then they won't want to be friends with her. This graphic novel was easy to follow and a quick read. Raina Telgemeier did a wonderful job with the illustrations. She made them clear and to the point using many dialogue bubbl...more
Angel Preble
After spending most of my time at work at this amazing BSC blog I found out there was a graphic novel adaptation of my beloved childhood series.

I think these actually work much better than the original books. The dialogue flows much better and the (sometimes) staccato succession of events that take place in your typical BSC books really benefits from this sort of presentation. I definitely recommend it to anyone who was a big fan of the books but can't stand to read more than one sentence about...more
Elounor
Short, amusing and adventurous. I really enjoyed this series and when I started reading I just wouldn't stop!!!
Bill
The graphic novel versions of Martin’s hugely popular Baby-Sitters Club series feature straightforward black-and-white art with stark black details and story lines that have been trimmed a bit from the originals. Telgemeier successfully retells the original tales that feature 11- to 13-year-old girls and loads of action, comedy, and emotion. Also see the other titles in the series: Mary Anne Saves the Day and Kristy's Great Idea (both Scholastic/Graphix, 2006). These books don't 'do' a great dea...more
Sue
i am really enjoying this series of graphic novels. the art is bright and fun and the stories always have some type of positive message for the kids.
Emily Martinez
I read this book a long time it really kept me entertained. In this book the character Stacey she moves into a New Town, Stony Brook, from New York. Stancey joins the Babbysitter's Club but she has this big secrete that nobody nows about. Her friends don't know that she has diabetes... but that's just the begginning you have to read the whole book to get some more juicy details, What's going to happen next?, This book is really good I recomend this book to anyone.
Heather
Based on the orignal books by Ann M. Martin, The Babysitters Club, Raina took the story and made it into a graphic novel. Very true to the original books that I read when I was a kid and fell in love with then. The artist remained true to the characters, though it would have been nice if the book was in color. Still makes me want to read the rest of the series though.

Raina Telgemeier is a very talented artist and author.
Kristine
Scholastic's attempt to modernize this popular series works surprisingly well. The dialogue is natural and the pacing well-done. The black and white illustrations compliment the text nicely without being overwhelming. The pages that aren't typical (notebook entries primarily) add variety. A good introduction for reluctant readers who may then go on to read the remaining books that haven't been converted to graphic novels.
Kristine Cook
Alyssa
The Truth About Stacey: A Graphic Novel was a quick and easy read. The book is about a newly Diabetic girl making friends and babysitting. As a Diabetic I could relate to the story but some parts seemed a little far fetched (ex. her parents taking her to multiple doctors for a quick Diabetes fix all). I enjoyed reading about the competition between different babysitting groups and seeing how the conflict was resolved.
Katherine Anderson
Did you know that there are Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels? I discovered this while furtively peeking in the library catalogue to see where I might find the non-graphic version. Sadly, they were all out. But this treasure was waiting for me.

I like the Baby-Sitters Club. You probably do too. It's better with pictures. Go figure. Really, they actually start to seem like real people in this version. I liked it.
Jun 10, 2007 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd, 4th, 5th graders
I devoured the babysitters club books when I was younger and was excited to see the new graphic novel format that is available. Graphic novels are so popular with the kids and I feel they get reluctant readers to read and hopefully get turned onto the amazing world of books.

This is definitly a kids book but worth recommending for someone in that age range. I like the new format for my old favorite stories!
Kayla Eklund
I used to love The Babysitter's Club series as a child. I found this at the library earlier and picked it up. The art style was cute. It was drawn appropriately for the age group. The story was the same story I knew and loved as a kid. They didn't cut much out. I'm hopin that they turn all of The Babysitter's Club books into graphic novels, and the Little Sister series as well.
Cathy
Was less invested in this book than others, which is strange as I recall Stacey was the "cool" one back when I read the original series. Still, good points made about gaining independence (this time to make decisions on her own medical care) and responsibilities to the club (other babysitter agency sends 3 year old out into the street w/o warm clothes when snowing!) and to friends.
Cathy
i love revisiting the baby-sitters club! and it is totally like the text is coming alive through the pictures. oh ann martin, you were totally on to something. i love getting reacquainted with all the kids and families that the girls sat for. i just get so many warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings i could burst. stacy becomes empowered with her diabetes treatment. aw, you go stacy!
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty

Ann gets the ideas for her books from many different places. Some are based on personal experiences, while others are based on childhood me...more
More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)