Start by marking “Never Sleep Three in a Bed” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Never Sleep Three in a...

Max Braithwaite

Never Sleep Three in a Bed

This book combines humor and realism in a nostalgic but unsentimental journey into the author's world shared with friends and family in western Canada during the first quarter of the 20th century.

Never Sleep Three in a Bed is the first book in an autobiographical trilogy.
Paperback, Revised edition, 215 pages
Published 1975 by McClelland and Stewart (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Never Sleep Three in a Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Sleep Three in a Bed

Cindy Christiansen
Max Braithwaite has lived an interesting life. This book is full of life and human emotions. Well told and informative. I especially enjoyed the insight at the end of the book about the Depression.

To be honest, I chose to read this book because I like the series, Wind at My Back, which is based on this book and one other of Max's called, The Night We Stole the Mountie's Car.

Because I'd already watched the series, I found myself wanting the book to be more like the family I had grown to know. No
Twyla
Jan 05, 2011 Twyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
It was an easy read; but it read like one of those old style comedian specials. You could practically see him walking off stage to sip on a water every once in a while to come back and narrate the rest of it to me. The vignettes are not long; a couple pages at most so its good for reading on coffee breaks at work or in the waiting room at the doc's office etc because you never have to worry about following a plot or remembering what happened last time you read. At the beginning he is you and at ...more
Melissa
Mar 13, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was part of the source material for a favorite tv show that helped get me through the first few months of grad school (Wind at My Back). I've been searching for the book for awhile, and finally found it through ILL. Umm, I know Kevin Sullivan (producer of WaMB and the Anne of Green Gables movies) frequently takes great liberties with source materials, but good grief! I still can't quite figure out how he came up with WaMB based on Braithwaite's book. The book itself is a fairly typical ...more
Darlene Wilson
Oct 01, 2010 Darlene Wilson rated it it was amazing
Read to my Reading group at New Market Manor
Mar 09 to Aug 09
They enjoyed MB's story - and we enjoyed sharing reminiscences of their life in the 30's. Although, I was surprised to find that most of them were only alive towards the end of the 30's. I had grouped them (without thinking it through) into people of that era. BUT - if they're 80 or so - . . . . .
Roberta
May 09, 2011 Roberta rated it did not like it
I read this because the TV series "Wind at My Back" was taken from it. (Kevin Sullivan is the same man who produced the Anne of Green Gables shows) We enjoy the shows so much that I thought I'd read the book. I was disappointed! The only thing familiar was a few names and maybe one event. In this case, the book is NOT better than the show.
Terri
Feb 23, 2011 Terri rated it liked it
The memories of a man growing up in the 1920-1930's in Canada. I read this because a show I was watching had a line that it was based on this book. (very loosely) It was a good read but nothing like the tv show.
Clara Roberts
Jul 22, 2011 Clara Roberts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this book because the Canadian t.v. seris Wind at my Back is suposed to be loosely based on this book. This was another poorly written book. A waste of time.
Olivia
Oct 12, 2008 Olivia added it
The inspiration for Kevin Sullivan's television show "Wind at My Back." A cute memoir full of poignant and funny anecdotes.
C.  Bellamy
Funny, funny, funny! Recommended.
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Luis Guarda
Luis Guarda rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Kyla Snell
Kyla Snell rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Jeffrey Conway
Jeffrey Conway rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Miriam Nickel
Miriam Nickel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Rosie Shephard
Rosie Shephard rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jody Sloan
Jody Sloan is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Mike
Mike added it
May 28, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
E Joyce
E Joyce marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Peter Magee
Peter Magee marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Wanda
Wanda rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Kelleen Huising
Kelleen Huising marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Marnie
Marnie rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Jeannette
Jeannette rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Amy Dashwood
Amy Dashwood marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015