Blank-133x176
Never Sleep Three In A...

Max Braithwaite

Never Sleep Three In A Bed

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This book combines humor and realism in a nostalgic but unsentimental journey into the author's world shared with friends and family in western Canada during the first quarter of the 20th century.

Never Sleep Three in a Bed is the first book in an autobiographical trilogy.
Published (first published 1969)

Cindy Christiansen
Max Braithwaite has lived an interesting life. This book is full of life and human emotions. Well told and informative. I especially enjoyed the insight at the end of the book about the Depression.

To be honest, I chose to read this book because I like the series, Wind at My Back, which is based on this book and one other of Max's called, The Night We Stole the Mountie's Car.

Because I'd already watched the series, I found myself wanting the book to be more like the family I had grown to know. No...more
Twyla
It was an easy read; but it read like one of those old style comedian specials. You could practically see him walking off stage to sip on a water every once in a while to come back and narrate the rest of it to me. The vignettes are not long; a couple pages at most so its good for reading on coffee breaks at work or in the waiting room at the doc's office etc because you never have to worry about following a plot or remembering what happened last time you read. At the beginning he is you and at...more
Melissa
This book was part of the source material for a favorite tv show that helped get me through the first few months of grad school (Wind at My Back). I've been searching for the book for awhile, and finally found it through ILL. Umm, I know Kevin Sullivan (producer of WaMB and the Anne of Green Gables movies) frequently takes great liberties with source materials, but good grief! I still can't quite figure out how he came up with WaMB based on Braithwaite's book. The book itself is a fairly typical...more
Darlene Wilson
Read to my Reading group at New Market Manor
Mar 09 to Aug 09
They enjoyed MB's story - and we enjoyed sharing reminiscences of their life in the 30's. Although, I was surprised to find that most of them were only alive towards the end of the 30's. I had grouped them (without thinking it through) into people of that era. BUT - if they're 80 or so - . . . . .
Roberta
I read this because the TV series "Wind at My Back" was taken from it. (Kevin Sullivan is the same man who produced the Anne of Green Gables shows) We enjoy the shows so much that I thought I'd read the book. I was disappointed! The only thing familiar was a few names and maybe one event. In this case, the book is NOT better than the show.
Terri
The memories of a man growing up in the 1920-1930's in Canada. I read this because a show I was watching had a line that it was based on this book. (very loosely) It was a good read but nothing like the tv show.
Clara Roberts
I requested this book because the Canadian t.v. seris Wind at my Back is suposed to be loosely based on this book. This was another poorly written book. A waste of time.
Olivia
Oct 12, 2008 Olivia added it
The inspiration for Kevin Sullivan's television show "Wind at My Back." A cute memoir full of poignant and funny anecdotes.
C.  Bellamy
Funny, funny, funny! Recommended.
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Kayleen Beebe
Kayleen Beebe marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
KU2
KU2 added it
Aug 08, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Jennifer Love
Jennifer Love marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Kim Terry
Kim Terry marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Why Shoot the Teacher? Why Shoot The Teacher The Night We Stole The Mountie's Car All the Way Home Night We Stole the Mounties' Car