Start by marking “Buried (Goth Girl Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Buried (Goth Girl Mystery, #1)

Buried (Goth Girl Mystery #1)

A new, darker paranormal mystery series from award-winning author Linda Joy Singleton—featuring popular goth girl Thorn from The Seer series

Thorn Matthews is a Finder, a person with the psychic ability to find things just by touching an object. The visions she gets from objects—events and memories—are what guide her to the things that need to be found.

When Thorn locates a
Published March 8th 2012 by Flux (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried

Giselle
Jan 03, 2012 Giselle rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, arc
Thorn's Finder ability pretty much says it all- she finds things. When one day, it leads her to an ugly necklace, she's soon thrown into a murder investigation. Buried is a light read with an enticing premise that, unfortunately, fell flat with unoriginality and lack of exciting twists.

Thorn's character is a goth, she wears black, spikes, piercings, and has an attitude to match. I actually really liked her even though she isn't terribly developed. She has an outgoing personality that makes this
Linda
Jul 12, 2011 Linda added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A buried secret, a mysterious vigilante and ghostly danger for goth girl Thorn.

The spinoff from The Seer series is out!!!! This book stars goth girl Thorn as she solves a murder mystery and falls for a mysterious masked guy.

Sneak Preview from BURIED:
Up ahead, a wall of silver gleams. Not a wall, I realize, but a towering steel cage for gym equipment. Only instead of sports equipment—someone’s locked inside!
Before I can help, I sense movement from a side corridor. A tall shadowy figure swathed
E. Anderson
Dec 23, 2011 E. Anderson rated it really liked it
For those of you who enjoy a fun mystery, Linda Joy Singleton's latest, BURIED, is definitely a good one to pick up. Following preacher's daughter and social misfit Thorn as she navigates the rough waters at her new small-town high school, where she's only met one other Goth -- her new bff Rune -- which is way different from her old school back in California. Of course, back in Cali she also had a friend who knew about her psychic ability. Thorn doesn't trust anyone in this town enough to spill ...more
Ms. Castellano
Jan 27, 2012 Ms. Castellano rated it really liked it
Buried was a quick, easy, but enjoyable read. The main character, Thorn (née Beth Ann), recently moved to a new town from California, where her mother now has a job as a preacher. The new school is very small town cowboy, and Thorn’s new best friend Rune is the only other goth in the entire school. What not even Rune knows about Thorn is that she’s psychic, something called a finder. She can find lost things, and just knows when something she’s come across is a lost item.

Thorn finds a mysterious
Majanka
This review was originally posted on I Heart Reading.

Buried (A Goth Girl Mystery #1) features Thorn, one of the side characters in the Seer series, another series by Linda Joy Singleton. I’ve never read the Seer series, so it took some time before I got used to Thorn, but this novel can be read well enough as a stand-alone. Thorn is an intriguing character because she’s different from most of the main characters I’m used to reading about. She’s a Finder, which means that when she touches an obj
Rose
Feb 02, 2012 Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who like savvy female detectives, weird characters, and just a good mystery
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Flux Books
"Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery) is the first decent YA mystery I've read in a while. Savvy heroine, check. Real murder mystery, check. Awesome boy vigilante with snarky attitude, check. Request to read next installment - yes please. :)

I think a part of my love for this particular book revolves around having a love for good mysteries that keep me guessing, while also featuring a cast of well-rounded, developing characters. This was my first read from Linda Joy Singleton, and it's the first installm
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery is a spinoff series to Linda Joy Singleton's popular self-published The Seer series. I enjoyed (didn't love, didn't dislike) the first book of The Seer but was never very motivated to continue. So when I saw the e-galley for Buried I thought it was the perfect opportunity to give the author another try. Singleton has published many books since Don't Die Dragonfly and I always like to see how the author has improved.

Unfortunately this book started strong then slowly un
Pam
Feb 07, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
Thorn (nee Beth Ann) is a recent transplant to Nevada Bluff. She comes from a family of six kids where her Mom is a minister and her Dad is looking for work. Thorn is a goth (which her Dad just hates), and she is a “finder”. She is drawn to objects and when she touches them she gets psychic visions from them. Which is what happens at school one day.

Thorn finds a gold locket on a shoelace and it transports her to a remote area. With the help of another psychic friend she finds the remote area and
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
I had a great time reading this book, it was fun and had some great twists. I enjoyed that the main character is goth. She is not one of those over emo characters that is dark and brooding, but more upbeat and up for anything.
Her detective work and the people that she runs into during her investigation made for a really great and entertaining read. I enjoyed Thorn's attitude about things and she's funny.
In this story Thorn finds a locket, she is unsure but something about the locket is calling
Patty
Jul 15, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
This book was fun yet had a very intense plot and totally fascinating sort of flawed quirky characters. Thorn, Rune, Amelie...friends albeit quirky friends...are sort of unique at their high school.

Thorn whose real name is really Beth Ann and Rune...whose real name is really Rune...bond together...along with Amelie at school. Amelie appears to always wear fairy wings. Rune and Thorn are ringed, pierced and very Goth. All of the major issues in their lives are discussed at the local donut shop w
Linda
Mar 12, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! This new book features a major character from the author's SEER series: Non-conformist Thorn is "a finder". The Goth Girl, who prefers "Thorn" to her real name, Beth Ann Matthews, has only to touch an object to be psychically connected to a person, place, or event. Trying to keep a low profile at her new Nevada hills high school, Thorn finds a cheap metal locket on the school stage. The locket won't let her rest until she follows its trail into the hills and finds an unmarked grave- t ...more
Roshini
Dec 08, 2011 Roshini rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really liked this one. I didn't realise that it was a spinoff to another series, but now that I know, I'm definitely looking up the other books. There are some books that should stop at 1. This isn't one of them. While the story does end properly, there is potential for a series. Also, a really great cast of characters, some of the most interesting ones I've read about recently. It makes me wish I had friends like the goth-at-heart-but-occasionally-pink-cowboy-boots-wearing MC, her two best fr ...more
Nancy
Mar 15, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this story.. I hope there is more to come. I loved Thorn in The Seer series. It seems that in Buried Thorn has a little bit more than just finding abilities, it will be awesome to see where she takes us. I love that the story really shows that you can't judge someone by their appearance, background or social status. Great characters through out. A great introduction to hopefully a new series.
Krista
Dec 12, 2011 Krista rated it really liked it
arc provided by publisher via Netgalley.

A good story with a paranormal element along with a whodunit that I did not guess. I liked the ending too -- it felt complete but at the same time the door is left open for more to come. I would definitely read more of this series
Morgan
Jun 02, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Really awesome book it had me sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it!!!
Kira Simion
Nov 01, 2015 Kira Simion rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Somehow I just stopped reading and never came back...

DNF
Nicey Walker
Mar 17, 2012 Nicey Walker rated it it was amazing
Loved Goth girl Thorn and her friends Rune and Amerie. Also the Grin Reaper is cool.
SarahR
Sep 14, 2012 SarahR rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and I cannot wait to read the next one!!!!!!!
Kim Baccellia
Mar 10, 2012 Kim Baccellia rated it really liked it
Love Thorn! Love the voice and premise. Crossing fingers for more Goth Girl mysteries!

Review coming soon!
Rachelle
May 06, 2012 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I used it as a mini-challenge for May (mother is featured in it) on A-Z Challenge. See my blog http://raesrumblings.blogspot.com/201...
jgyweniverel
Third time is a charm for trying to win this mysterious book.
Sabrine
Aug 04, 2012 Sabrine rated it it was amazing
Really cool mysterious book! Very Good!
Kristin (Beneath Shining Stars, I Read)
Thorn is a Finder which is pretty much what it sounds like... she finds things and on occasion, has visions related to the object(s) she touches. When she comes across a heart shaped locket on a shoestring, she gets the feeling that it'll lead her on a wild hunt as she attempts to reunite it with its owner and well, she's right. But if the locket wasn't creepy enough on its own, there's also the fact that it leads her to the grave of a child and all these things are definitely connected.

If I'm
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Review: Thorn is the new girl in the school, and one of two Goths, she’s also able to find things, a fact she’d rather not share with her new classmates. So when she finds a locket, she ends up finding with it the grave of a newborn baby. Implicated in the whole mess, Thorn has to clear her name. The only way to do that is to ask around and see if one of her friends is a killer.
Happy thoughts, right? Murder mystery with a goth girl at the heart of it all should be right up my street. I really li
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery by Linda Joy Singleton was a great addition to The Seer series, Thorn gets her own book to herself and its high time she did! As a fan of all things written by Ms. Singleton, The Seer series is no exception. Thorn aka Beth Ann is the ultimate Goth Chick but there’s more to her than appearances! This girl has mad skillz as a finder!

Thorn isn’t your ordinary Goth girl that you read about in some books, you know the type: angsty, defiant, smokes, drinks,
Audrey
Thorn is having a little trouble adjusting to her new school in Nevada. As the goth daughter of the town's woman preacher, people give her strange looks and make a lot of assumptions about her. What none of them know is that Thorn has a psychic ability that helps her find things. When she finds a locket left on the stage after her school's talent show tryouts, it introduces a mystery to her, perhaps involving murder. Thorn feels compelled to find out what the locket means and who lost it, all wh ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Thorn aka Beth Anne is a goth girl recently transplanted to a backwater town with her family. Already considered an oddity in her own family, Thorn continues to rebel against the norm with her looks and unwillingness to conform to her high school’s standards. Gifted with the ability to “read” objects, Thorn finds a necklace that leads her to a grave. Thorn believes it is her duty to solve this crime and sets out to find out what happened so many years ago.

Buried is a spin off of Ms. Singleton’s
Anjana
Dec 19, 2011 Anjana rated it liked it
Thorn is a finder. She has a special ability where she gets visions when she touches an object and she can match the lost object with it's owner. She's basically a human lost and found. One day she comes across a heart-shaped locket hung on a shoelace, and the whole story is based upon this locket.

Although Thorn may not be my favorite character, mostly because she seemed idiotic at times with her notions of revenge on the Grin Reaper, Buried was a good mystery. Although at first it seemed like t
Angela
Mar 10, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
I totally loved these characters. They're crazy and offbeat, but in believable ways. Even the girl who wears fairy wings all the time. I wore a cloak in high school. I can relate. Even the dialog sounds realistic. I can remember my friends and I having similar conversations. I also love the main character's mom, who is what I wish all Christians were like. I mean, she's not perfect, but she accepts her daughter as she is and doesn't try to change her. The mother makes a good balance to the quest ...more
Heather4Ever
Oct 05, 2012 Heather4Ever rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
This book has one of the best writing styles I've ever read, it's entertaining, witty, young and relatable.

The main character's "finding" ability is very reminiscent of Erika's "Detective Authority" in Where They Cry 4 wherein they both have the uncanny ability to just "see" evidence, which is a very unique concept.

The story itself is fun and entertaining, which is what everyone wants from a book in the first place.

I found that the story has such a unique premise and colorful characters, but the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sisters of Glass
  • Ripper (Ripper, #1)
  • 13 Hangmen
  • Poison Most Vial
  • The Gravesavers
  • Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1)
  • Redemption (Hearts of Stone, #1)
  • Harmony (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Second Skin (Skinned, #2)
  • The Suburban Strange
  • Rebel McKenzie
  • Ghost Island
  • Double
  • Point of Origin (The Survivors, #2)
  • Witch Book
  • Commencement (Hellsbane, #0.5)
  • A Deceit to Die For