Start by marking “Tarabas” as Want to Read:
Tarabas

Tarabas

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A powerful fable set in the early days of the Russian Revolution, Tarabas is the story of a Russian peasant who learns in his youth from a gypsy that it is his destiny to be both a murderer and saint. It is Roth's special gift that, in Tarabas's fulfillment of his tragic destiny, the larger movements of history find their perfect expression in the fate of one man.
Published August 31st 1987 by Overlook Books (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Tarabas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarabas

Edgar Trevizo
Debió ser un buen hombre, el buen Roth. O un huésped de esta tierra que quiso serlo.

Hay escritores que saben crear historias, estructurarlas, hacerlas brillantes y hay otros que se deleitan en contar historias y se les nota. Roth es de esta última categoría. Esta es otra novela gozosa, llena de la alegría de narrar y llena de poesía, como es costumbre en este fino escritor.
Johann Guenther
ROTH, Joseph: „Tarabas – Ein Gast auf dieser Erde“, Zürich 2010
Ein Roman, der zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts handelt und 1934 als antifaschistische Erzählung in Fortsetzungen in einer Zeitung in Frankreich erschienen ist.
Tarabas ist der Sohn reicher Gutsbesitzer in Galizien. Er schließt sich einer revolutionären Organisation an und muss das Land verlassen. Nach mehreren Jahren in New York kehrt er in seine Heimat zurück um für Russland gegen Österreich in den Krieg zu ziehen, wo er einen brutale
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Here rests Colonel Nikolaus Tarabas: a guest on this earth.’

Tarabas tells the story of the restless life of Colonel Nikolaus Tarabas. Exiled to America by this father, for taking part in anti-Czarist activities, Tarabas becomes jealous over a woman and seriously injures a bar owner in a drunken rage. ‘The hearts of foolish, easily intoxicated people are impenetrable.’

A gypsy has predicted that Tarabas will be both a murderer and a saint. Thinking that the bar owner is dead, Tarabas uses the dec
Cooper Renner
Set mostly in Russia during and just after the Russian Revolution, but in some ways feeling closer to folk tale than historical novel, Tarabas is yet another more or less unique entry in Roth's canon: funny, sly, sometimes violent, absurd, "timeless". Clearly related to others of his books set in the years right after World War I, and yet very much itself. The story of a man "destined" to be both a murderer and a saint (according to a gypsy fortune-teller!)
David Núñez
This was my first book that I've read from Roth. It was tough for me to get into this story. I thought the story would pick up after Tarabas left home, but that didn't happen. I will probably, eventually read other books by Roth. It's not a long story, but it took me a while to read because I had a hard time of keeping interest in the story, so, I just took my time reading this book.
julieta
Voy a seguir leyendo a Roth porque es una maravilla, siempre hay momentos hermosos, es austero y elegante, me encanta, pero este libro no es de mis favoritos, ni estará en mi lista de mejores, aunque Roth si. No entiendo la onda de tarabas, no me convenció el personaje, no terminé ni de quererlo ni de odiarlo.
Igual amo a Roth!
Jonathan yates
Starts really slow and then he brings this story places i did not expect it to go, a very compelling book which does as it progresses lose a little bit of focus-however i really liked it and a must read for any Joseph Roth Fan
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Alex Goukassian
Alex Goukassian marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Hopelesswanderer
Hopelesswanderer marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Luca Riva
Luca Riva marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ronan Noane  K
Ronan Noane K marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Laurent
Laurent marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Lucas
Lucas is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Leo Delescen
Leo Delescen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Marc Carnier
Marc Carnier marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Montasir
Montasir marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
DanielBoss
DanielBoss marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Joseph Roth was born and grew up in Brody, a small town near Lemberg in East Galicia, part of the easternmost reaches of what was then Austro-Hungarian empire and is nowadays Ukraine. Roth was born into a Jewish family. He died in Paris, France.

More about Joseph Roth...
The Radetzky March  (Von Trotta Family #1) Job The Legend of The Holy Drinker The Emperor's Tomb Hotel Savoy