Start by marking “How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods: The Ultimate Guide to Building and Maintaining a Backcountry Getaway” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Everyone dreams of having a cabin in the woods-a wood-hewn structure with all (or, at least many of) the amenities of home-tucked away on a mountaintop with an awe-inspiring view, or nestled on the shore of a trout-filled stream or bass-laden lake. Most people also believe that such a dream house is just that-the stuff of dreams-not affordable, not buildable without hiring ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Lyons Press (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods

Dennis
Aug 13, 2015 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad this was my first book to read

I would recommend this book to anyone who has been contemplating renting or building a cabin and doesn't know the first thing about how to get started. I was thinking about living in a rural area and commuting to work until retirement and wanted to consider both cabins and tiny homes. But I couldn't determine how to begin planning and searching the internet wasn't much help. I bought the kindle version of this book based on the number of reviews being more t
Zinta
Dec 14, 2011 Zinta rated it it was amazing
So many of us have a dream cabin in the woods envisioned in our minds—I do, too. Most of us never do get to realize it, but it can still be fun to dream. Actually, as I write this, I seem to be nearing the realization of my dream, and so I picked up the Kindle version of How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods to learn more.

There is much to learn. This is not the first such book I’ve read, but it would be a great choice as an introduction to learning about log cabins. J. Wayne Fears writes i
Davis Rowell
Poor formatting

The subject was of interest to me and the author is clearly an expert. The writing would have been clear and easy to follow but for the huge number of copyediting errors that found their way into the e-book. They were a major distraction and caused the author's meaning to be unclear in places. If the publisher treats e-books as second class, it will become known as a publisher of second class e-books.
Alex
Jan 16, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Nice practical well-rounded book on basics of building and using a cabin in the woods.
Something I'm hoping to experience in the next decade.
Mary
Mar 25, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
The photographs could've been more professional, but it is a helpful gathering of information.
Jim Krotzman
It was a good book in regard to different types of cabins and how to build them. Much peripheral information that would be useful to others didn't pertain to me. For instance, how to find land, kit homes, log siding, digging wells, purifying water, naming a cabin, preparing for downtime, special guests, liability, etc. In other words, the first half of the book was much better than the second half.
Jennybeast
Apr 05, 2014 Jennybeast rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
When you’re ready to go off grid, you could do a lot worse than consult J. Wayne Fear’s practical and interesting guidebook. He does a thorough job of covering the important factors to consider when investing in property, but tailors the book beautifully to the back country get-away. Very detailed, but also accessible and engaging.
Richardwallin
Aug 25, 2009 Richardwallin rated it it was amazing
"A cabin is a work in progress, and should never be finished." This book explains why one should build a cabin, and does not provide the deatails as to exactly how it should be built. It advocates rustic, simple, cabins, that are easy to build and gives good advice and tips on how to build, and enjoy a cabin.
Sylvia Clark
I loved this book! It was written in a knowledgeable manner, but in a relaxed, comfortable style. It was quite thorough and I think I could make good decisions regarding the purchase of rural property and building a cabin.
Alan Washington
Basic

pretty basic information. I wish they had more like links to other resources or dealers. the illustrations are a little rough too. overall it's not a bad book for price.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 28, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: outdoors
Many have the dream of building a cabin in the woods all by themselves. Fears presents a guide with photos and blueprints covering all the steps.
Michelle Haslam
Aug 12, 2012 Michelle Haslam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Great resource.
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Sheri
Sheri marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Todd Schock
Todd Schock marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jeffrey Fill
Jeffrey Fill rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Bobbi Faulkner
Bobbi Faulkner marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Ian Brown
Ian Brown is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2016
Kathryn E
Kathryn E is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Sheila Altman
Sheila Altman marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
David Arnold
David Arnold rated it liked it
Sean Hays
Sean Hays rated it really liked it
Scott Milton
Scott Milton marked it as to-read
Terran
Terran added it
Dec 26, 2015
Robert McDonald Jr
Robert McDonald Jr is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
TheKrazySheep
TheKrazySheep marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015