Start by marking “Corporations Are Not People: Why They Have More Rights Than You Do and What You Can Do About It” as Want to Read:

This is the first practical guide for every citizen on the problem of corporate personhood and the tools we have to overturn it. Jeff Clements explains why the Citizen's United case is the final win in a campaign for corporate domination of the state that began in the 1970s under Richard Nixon. More than this, Clements shows how unfettered corporate rights will impact publ ...more
Published January 9th 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Corporations Are Not People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corporations Are Not People

Naomi
Wonderfully well argued, most helpful to me was Chapter Seven, where Clements outlines how we can create a lasting democracy and reinstitute the government by and for the people, remembering that corporations are tools and tools that whose owners and directors and executives and staffs and shareholders have to use responsibly. Good for small group study and neighborhood discussions.
Mal Warwick
Apr 23, 2012 Mal Warwick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Citizens United, Corporate Personhood, and the Movement to Restore Political Power to the People

If you’re like most Americans, you may think that the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission is the root cause of the stranglehold on U.S. elections by major corporations and the 1%.

If you follow public affairs more closely than most, you’re aware that the situation is more complicated than this — that the misbegotten principle of “corporate personhood” that underpi
Kathy
May 24, 2017 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This book is an eye-opener into the workings of the Supreme Court and activist judges like Lewis Powell, who began the push the idea that "corporations are people" while a corporate lawyer for the tobacco industry during the Nixon administration. The author is promoting the idea of a People's Rights Amendment, which would reverse the rulings and provide a means for reforming the whole idea of incorporation. An ambitious undertaking, but worth supporting, and lies at the heart of every other effo ...more
John Hively
May 26, 2017 John Hively rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative read about the corporate takeover of our laws and government via the fiction that corporations are people.
Patrick Tsai
Jun 24, 2013 Patrick Tsai rated it really liked it
It's one of those books I've been meaning to read, but have had to make myself read before moving on to the books I really want to read. I'm glad I made myself read this book. It's hard to put into words how thoroughly invasive corporations have instilled themselves in politics. The book starts with a history of how corportist culture began to take hold in the United States' political realm starting with a number of decisions by Lewis Powell and the US Chamber of Commerce's excessive and explici ...more
Chris Chester
In this book, which is essentially a 200-page pamphlet for a 28th Amendment to the Constitution, Clements argues quite successfully that the Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United needs to be overturned.

The argument goes something like this: the corporatist legal movement was started in the '70s by Lewis Powell, who would later become a Supreme Court Justice. It enshrines the idea that corporate-funded political corruption is actually "speech."

This is why businesses are allowed to do things lik
Jukka
Apr 14, 2012 Jukka added it
Shelves: recent-reads
Corporations Are Not People - Jeffrey Clements

This book is about the recent Supreme Court decision Citizens United, and the corruption and degradation of the US democracy by corporation and big money interests. This is an important issue that is not getting the attention that it deserves.

This book is good and covers the issues, up from the very basics. It's easily read and good, but not very exciting -- not that a books temperature should necessarily hold you back from reading it.

Especially impo
Ms. Reader
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

This book was very pull-and-tug for me. The author has some VERY well-argued points and I liked the fact that he was giving hope for "real" people to succeed in big-cooperation industries. Yet, there were some very unrealistic facts to it that I couldn't wrap my mind around. At some point, I felt like he was arguing from fantasy ideas and needed to imply more what-can-actually-happen ideas. There was not enough "What You Can Do About It" that we ca
Yvette Primero
Nov 28, 2012 Yvette Primero rated it it was ok
Although the author brings up many points that are undeniably true I don't think it was more than a rabble-rauzer. I read this for school and even in that context I felt like ok now that I am aware what should I do? Maybe its me, but I think as teenagers we all had this idea of "screw big business" but then came the real world and really what choice do we have? I would have gave the book 3 stars had it given me more realistic ideas.
Penny
Aug 09, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Well-researched, copiously footnoted discussion of the Citizens' United case and how we got there. Warning: you'll have to read it in small doses because it will make you feel angry and hopelessly disenfranchised.

I strongly recommend Lawrence Lessig's article from the Atlantic online as corollary reading. Lessig presents a different argument about the same issue.

Ljonz
Dec 18, 2014 Ljonz rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this book. History of how corporations got equal footing with natural citizens, how Union power compares with corp. power, and of course, why every person who is not a corporation should demand a constitutional amendment, such as the we the people amendment proposed by Move to Amend, to clarify the law and return our constitional rights to us.
Ed
Jan 13, 2013 Ed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
An interesting, comprehensive look at the "Citizens United" decision and it's effect on Corporations and Democracy.

Basically the argument for a constitutional amendment to clarify that corporations are not people, only people are people.
Martin
Sep 30, 2012 Martin rated it liked it
This was quite good, actually. It's informative about the hold corporations have on the USA, and the ramifications that the interpretation of the Constitution that led to 'Citizens United' can have. An engaging piece of 'activist literature'.
Ryan Houlette
Dec 26, 2013 Ryan Houlette rated it it was amazing
Lucid, concise introduction to the history and impact of corporate personhood under the law. Also one of the most painful and infuriating books I've read in a long time. Fortunately it ends with a rousing call to action that keeps it from being unbearably depressing.
Matthew
Feb 22, 2012 Matthew rated it it was ok
Detailed and concise historical line on the conscious movement to further the cause of corporate rights and equate money to speech.
Brian
May 30, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
This book gives hope that "real" citizens, humans, people, have the ability to rule corporations and not the reverse.
Dorothy Soest
Jan 09, 2014 Dorothy Soest rated it it was amazing
If you care about our democracy, read this book. It launched me into a level of activism to overturn Citizens United Supreme Court decision and end corporate personhood that I never expected.
Ghinwa Choueiter
Jun 08, 2015 Ghinwa Choueiter rated it really liked it
must read. eye opener.
Katrina Knittle
Aug 01, 2014 Katrina Knittle marked it as goodreads-win  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads win. Will read and review once recieved.
Earle
Earle rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Alvin
Alvin rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Celene
Celene rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Michele E.
Michele E. rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Filani Alexlarry
Filani Alexlarry rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Toney
Toney rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Dave Meserve
Dave Meserve rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • From Disgust to Humanity: Sexual Orientation and Constitutional Law
  • The Invisible Heart: Economics and Family Values
  • The Servant Economy: Where America's Elite is Sending the Middle Class
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism
  • Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take for a Woman to Win
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice
  • What's Right with Islam Is What's Right With America: A New Vision for Muslims and the West
  • Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View
  • The Formation of a Persecuting Society: Power and Deviance in Western Europe, 950 - 1250
  • Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer--and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class
  • The Making of Global Capitalism: The Political Economy Of American Empire
  • Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy
  • The Great Financial Crisis: Causes and Consequences
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • Global Slump: The Economics and Politics of Crisis and Resistance