Start by marking “Corporations Are Not People: Why They Have More Rights Than You Do and What You Can Do About It” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is the first practical guide for every citizen on the problem of corporate personhood and the tools we have to overturn it. Jeff Clements explains why the Citizen's United case is the final win in a campaign for corporate domination of the state that began in the 1970s under Richard Nixon. More than this, Clements shows how unfettered corporate rights will impact publ ...more
Published January 9th 2012 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Corporations Are Not People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corporations Are Not People

Voice of Reason by Bryant McGillThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanGlobalize This! by Kevin DanaherTweets from Tahrir by Nadia IdleWhen Corporations Rule the World by David C. Korten
Occupy 2011-2012
23rd out of 24 books — 18 voters
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman
Best Progressive Reads
265th out of 448 books — 299 voters

More lists with this book...

Naomi
Wonderfully well argued, most helpful to me was Chapter Seven, where Clements outlines how we can create a lasting democracy and reinstitute the government by and for the people, remembering that corporations are tools and tools that whose owners and directors and executives and staffs and shareholders have to use responsibly. Good for small group study and neighborhood discussions.
Chris Chester
In this book, which is essentially a 200-page pamphlet for a 28th Amendment to the Constitution, Clements argues quite successfully that the Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United needs to be overturned.

The argument goes something like this: the corporatist legal movement was started in the '70s by Lewis Powell, who would later become a Supreme Court Justice. It enshrines the idea that corporate-funded political corruption is actually "speech."

This is why businesses are allowed to do things lik
Mal Warwick
Citizens United, Corporate Personhood, and the Movement to Restore Political Power to the People

If you’re like most Americans, you may think that the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission is the root cause of the stranglehold on U.S. elections by major corporations and the 1%.

If you follow public affairs more closely than most, you’re aware that the situation is more complicated than this — that the misbegotten principle of “corporate personhood” that underpi
Patrick Tsai
It's one of those books I've been meaning to read, but have had to make myself read before moving on to the books I really want to read. I'm glad I made myself read this book. It's hard to put into words how thoroughly invasive corporations have instilled themselves in politics. The book starts with a history of how corportist culture began to take hold in the United States' political realm starting with a number of decisions by Lewis Powell and the US Chamber of Commerce's excessive and explici ...more
Ljonz
Everyone should read this book. History of how corporations got equal footing with natural citizens, how Union power compares with corp. power, and of course, why every person who is not a corporation should demand a constitutional amendment, such as the we the people amendment proposed by Move to Amend, to clarify the law and return our constitional rights to us.
Natalie
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

This book was very pull-and-tug for me. The author has some VERY well-argued points and I liked the fact that he was giving hope for "real" people to succeed in big-cooperation industries. Yet, there were some very unrealistic facts to it that I couldn't wrap my mind around. At some point, I felt like he was arguing from fantasy ideas and needed to imply more what-can-actually-happen ideas. There was not enough "What You Can Do About It" that we ca
Jukka
Apr 14, 2012 Jukka added it
Shelves: recent-reads
Corporations Are Not People - Jeffrey Clements

This book is about the recent Supreme Court decision Citizens United, and the corruption and degradation of the US democracy by corporation and big money interests. This is an important issue that is not getting the attention that it deserves.

This book is good and covers the issues, up from the very basics. It's easily read and good, but not very exciting -- not that a books temperature should necessarily hold you back from reading it.

Especially impo
Katrina Knittle
Aug 01, 2014 Katrina Knittle marked it as goodreads-win  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads win. Will read and review once recieved.
Yvette Primero
Although the author brings up many points that are undeniably true I don't think it was more than a rabble-rauzer. I read this for school and even in that context I felt like ok now that I am aware what should I do? Maybe its me, but I think as teenagers we all had this idea of "screw big business" but then came the real world and really what choice do we have? I would have gave the book 3 stars had it given me more realistic ideas.
Dorothy Soest
If you care about our democracy, read this book. It launched me into a level of activism to overturn Citizens United Supreme Court decision and end corporate personhood that I never expected.
Penny
Well-researched, copiously footnoted discussion of the Citizens' United case and how we got there. Warning: you'll have to read it in small doses because it will make you feel angry and hopelessly disenfranchised.

I strongly recommend Lawrence Lessig's article from the Atlantic online as corollary reading. Lessig presents a different argument about the same issue.

Ghinwa Choueiter
must read. eye opener.
Ryan Houlette
Lucid, concise introduction to the history and impact of corporate personhood under the law. Also one of the most painful and infuriating books I've read in a long time. Fortunately it ends with a rousing call to action that keeps it from being unbearably depressing.
Martin
This was quite good, actually. It's informative about the hold corporations have on the USA, and the ramifications that the interpretation of the Constitution that led to 'Citizens United' can have. An engaging piece of 'activist literature'.
Ed
Apr 29, 2013 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book
An interesting, comprehensive look at the "Citizens United" decision and it's effect on Corporations and Democracy.

Basically the argument for a constitutional amendment to clarify that corporations are not people, only people are people.
Matthew
Detailed and concise historical line on the conscious movement to further the cause of corporate rights and equate money to speech.
Brian
This book gives hope that "real" citizens, humans, people, have the ability to rule corporations and not the reverse.
Mark Edward
Mark Edward marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Scott Ryalls
Scott Ryalls marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Rzero
Rzero is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Alexandra Wilkes
Alexandra Wilkes marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
John Brown
John Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Fauzia Lakh
Fauzia Lakh marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • The Servant Economy: Where America's Elite is Sending the Middle Class
  • Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy
  • From Disgust to Humanity: Sexual Orientation and Constitutional Law
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Democracy and Other Neoliberal Fantasies: Communicative Capitalism and Left Politics
  • Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer--and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • Celia, A Slave
  • What's Right with Islam Is What's Right With America: A New Vision for Muslims and the West
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice