Start by marking “Flameout: The Rise and Fall of Burger Chef” as Want to Read:
Flameout: The Rise and Fall of Burger Chef

Flameout: The Rise and Fall of Burger Chef

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
This is the story of the greatest might-have-been in the history of the fast food business. How did a company that began almost by accident become the innovation leader by 1960? What caused a decade-long slide that began right at the moment of their greatest success? Understanding begins with studying the experiences that forged Burger Chef and its leaders, and then learni ...more
Published February 20th 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Flameout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flameout

Victor Muthoka
Jul 18, 2014 Victor Muthoka rated it really liked it
To say that this was an entertaining read would be an understatement. I'd had this book on my kindle wish list for almost three months, anticipating it every day. I read it in a record 3 hours.

Starting out in a obscure fashion, flameout recounts the rise and fall of the circus business. This paints a background to the life of the founder, Frank Porter Thomas. Starting out as a maker of rides for circuses, fairs & carnivals, frank's love of things mechanical leads him to make a frozen custard
Robert Nardin
Jan 17, 2014 Robert Nardin rated it it was amazing
Lessons on how to grow and kill a successful business. In Flameout, John P. McDonald tells the story of Burger Chef, the one burger company that outpaced McDonald's and could have taken its place at the top of the fast food heap. In 1971 there were 1,200 Burger Chef restaurants and less than 1,300 McDonald's restaurants. By 1982, what was left of Burger Chef was folded into the Hardee's chain and was no more.

I was particularly interested in this book because when I was a kid almost every happy m
Ian
Nov 10, 2015 Ian rated it it was ok
Can't say the story grabbed me too much. Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I were older and knew the brand. Really hard to get much out of this that's applicable for modern business application. I commend the author for giving us a business failure case -- these are arguably more useful than business successes. And most businesses that fail do so in an unspectacular way like Burger Chef, rather than Enron or Worldcom. Still, the actual book didn't leave me with many insights.
Dale
Apr 09, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
Lessons on how to grow and then kill a restaurant chain

Published in 2011 by CreateSpace

In Flameout, John P. McDonald tells the story of Burger Chef, the one burger company that outpaced McDonald's and could have taken its place at the top of the fast food heap. In 1971 there were 1,200 Burger Chef restaurants and less than 1,300 McDonald's restaurants. By 1982, what was left of Burger Chef was folded into the Hardee's chain and was no more....

Read more at: http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/..
William Smith
William Smith is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2016
Larry Reilly
Larry Reilly marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Coco
Coco rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Jeremy Lamastus
Jeremy Lamastus rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Spike Grobstein
Spike Grobstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Ryan Lyonnais
Ryan Lyonnais rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Carey J.
Carey J. rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Bill Hall
Bill Hall rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
JT
JT rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Doug Lane
Doug Lane marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Bill Seubert
Bill Seubert rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Angiew
Angiew rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012