Start by marking “Much Ado About Marshals” as Want to Read:
Much Ado About Marshals

Much Ado About Marshals (Hearts of Owyhee #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Daisy Gardner wants to be a detective, just like her dime novel heroine, Honey Beaulieu. She does not want to be a farm wife, but that’s what her parents want. So what better solution to her dilemma than to marry the new marshal?

Cole Richards is honest, forthright, and stuck in a situation where he must lie and deceive or he and Bosco might end up as honored guests at a ne
Published June 28th 2011 by Melange Publishing (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Much Ado About Marshals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Much Ado About Marshals

Wendy Laharnar
Hysterical, Historical Western Romance.

This Historical Western Romance set in 1885, Oreana, Idaho. is a hoot. It’s hot, funny, and romantic; in others words this is a seductive read. I couldn’t put it down. Guilty secrets, love triangles, mistaken identity, forbidden love, Shakespeare couldn’t have given us more, but Jacquie Rogers does. She includes bank robbers, a wannabe lady detective and a whole town full of memorable characters who take us on a rollicking ride in the Wild West.

Warmth of
Meg Mims
Mayhem reigns in Jacquie Rogers' Much Ado About Marshals! When Cole Richards, shot for bank robbery, finds himself appointed marshal of a small town, I had to keep turning pages to see how much deeper this hole would get! I laughed out loud at the heroine Sarah Gardner, whose obsession with "Honey Bileau, Female Detective" carries her on a parallel track--and when the two collide, watch out! No spoilers here, but this book was a hoot from start to finish with twists galore. A fast, fun and froli ...more
Leagh
Oct 27, 2011 Leagh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Daisy Gardner is not against marriage so much as against marriage to a rancher who is gonna take her out of town. See, she wants to be a detective and cannot do that if she is "stuck" on a ranch. She decides that the town needs a marshal and she is gonna marry that marshal so she can be a detective.

Cole and Bosco are ranchers who have gotten themselves into a situation and Cole has gotten shot. He is losing blood fast so Bosco takes him to the closest town to see a doctor. When they arrive the w
Laurie
It seems almost everyone is pretending to be someone else in this new Romantic Western Comedy by Jacquie Rogers. Daisy, a modern-minded woman, who resides in the small pioneer town of Oreana, Idaho, knows what she wants and sets about getting it – but in a most charming and naïve way. Daisy’s exploits had me cackling out loud sometimes. When Cole Richards arrives in town wounded, he’s mistaken for the long-expected new Marshal. Injured and on the run from the law, Cole keeps his mouth shut in th ...more
Linda
Cole Richards Was Caught Up In The Middle When His Friend Thought Robbing The Silver City Bank Would Save His Ranch From Two Miners Panning For Gold And Cutting Off His Water Supply, But He Got Shot In His Thigh, Passed Out From Getting Away, And Awoke To Find A Pair Of The Greenest Eyes He Had Ever Seen On A Beautiful Young Lady! Now Daisy Gardner Thought He Was Sidney Adler The Real Marshal!

Ms. Rogers Pens A Very Funny Story About Cole Being Mistaken For The Real Marshal By Daisy Who Is Convin
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

This is a cute, funny story. It revolves around several cases of mistaken identity, an aspiring female detective, and a town full of colourful characters.
The story could have been improved if it was shortened up a bit because it dragged a bit in the middle but, all in all, it was fun.
Trish
I am loving this book. It is engaging, funny, romantic, and contains mystery. I am halfway through and am looking forward to finishing it tonight. And I love that it is set in Idaho. My home town, born and raised in a small Idaho town.
Emme
This book kinda grew on me, but really was far longer than it needed to be. Seemed a bit anachronistic in parts, but was a fun read, all the same. Perfect for a summer read-- provided you have a long time.
Donna
This story was very well written. The scenes flowed nicely and I kept thinking while reading the book that this would make a wonderful movie! Jacquie did a great job with this book! I very much enjoyed it!
Tonileg
Daisy Gardner is 22 years old in this Western historical romance novel. She is looking for a husband before her parents find one for her, because at this time, a lady of her age is considered to have one foot in the grave and the other in the doorway of the spinster prison. She could marry a farmer but she has idol worshiped a dime story novel heroine, Honey Beaulieu who solves crimes. So there is a fictional character within the fictional story that drives Daisy to find a way to also become a d ...more
Julie Lence
Mix together a spirited heroine, a handsome hero caught in a no-win situation, a side-kick who packs away more food than a teenage boy, a mule smarter than most people and a dog with an over-abundance of energy and what do you get? Ms. Rogers comical, heart-warming Much Ado About Marshals.

Trying to do the right thing within the boundaries of the law, rancher Cole finds himself living a lie when Daisy pins a Marshal's badge on his shirt. To complicate matters, he finds himself falling for her; a
Masquerade Crew
DEBBIE'S REVIEW

This is a story about a botched bank robbery on his part and mis-identification on her part. Cole is shot while trying to stop his friend from robbing a bank. When Daisy meets Cole for the first time, she mistakes him for the Marshall that she has just hired sight unseen, because she was informed that the Marshall had been shot.

This book made me laugh out loud a lot, not only because of the dialogue but because of the characterization. Daisy is naive and this puts her in situatio
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Daisy Gardener is hampered by being a regular woman in 1885. However, what she wants to be is a detective just like "Honey Beaulieu" in her favorite dime store novels. Daisy does manage to have the town of Oreana, Idaho Territory hire a new Marshal and Daisy plans on marrying him.

There is trouble with miners and farmers Owyhee County, Southwest Idaho desert. A mistaken shot rings out in the bank and next thing you know, a handsome farmer, shot in the leg, shows up in Oreana with his buddy (who w
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Much Ado About Marshals is a hoot. I loved the endearing characters and the way they connect well in the story. Everything fits together wonderfully allowing the audience to bond with the characters. I could really sense the sensations, as well as visualize all the events surrounding them. There were times I could almost taste the food that was being prepared. Jacquie Rogers creates a witty, delightful, and downright amusing book with impressive charming players. I love the chemistry of Daisy an ...more
Libby Talley
If you want a Western that has humor, this is the book for you.
Rebecca
I am not rating this because the only thing I didn't much care for was what is probably the requirements of the romance genre. I had downloaded it any way hoping for a little more western in it than I got, but that isn't the author's fault.

Why do they call it romance when so much of it is sex? Not that it was that overwhelming and definitely not in any way crude in this one. But I guess I am more suited to the love stories of the older westerns where they don't go beyond kissing and gazing at ea
Shirl
Much Ado About Marshals, was a good western comedy. It reminded me of the westerns we all watched on tv years ago. The characters were funny and the storyline was interesting with Miss Daisy looking for a Marshal husband. Cole happened to fill that spot after falling into the job by accident.
I liked Sam's mule, Katie. He had taught her alot of useful tricks that impressed the townfolk and were very useful in the story.
The humor through the book was lighthearted and enjoyable.
Lindah
That was a lot of plot line to work out, and Jacquie did it so well! The characters were all true to themselves throughout the book.
Patricia Poupart
I think I just read the basis for a western comedy film-to-be! This book was so much fun to read! Keeping up with Daisy Gardner's scatter-brained ideas was the key to the whole story. The ending was a nice, unexpected surprise too. Thanks for a fun read!
Nubia Sanchez
Amazing! I really recommend it. It so witty funny and intriguing at the same time because of one lie that have the hold town believing in it especially the man who supposedly was a part of a robbery and pretend to be the new marshal in town.
Sylvia

Another free list book. Pretty boiler plate, some zany mistaken identity mishaps. If you're into the historical western romance genre, then you will probably enjoy it. It wasn't really for me though.
Sandra Gilbert
Fun light hearted romance. I enjoyed how it all played out. Even more fun, I actually live in Idaho so it was fun to see a book set here.
Marilyn
This was a comedy of errors. Its hard to believe these kinds of things happened in the old west. A very enjoyable read.
Carolyn
Old West romance. A bit silly, but that didn't prevent me from reading all the way through.
❆ Crystal ❆
Funny story. I was getting pretty scared for the Marshall. I'm glad it worked out. I enjoyed.
Kbee
Not that funny. The Madams were way better.
slow book but good
Carol Norris
Carol Norris marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Under a Texas Star
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • Fireblossom
  • Darlin' Druid (Texas Druid, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Midnight Lover
  • The Texan's Bride
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • Delilah's Flame
  • The Outlaw Takes a Wife (The Burnett Brides, #2)
  • Through the Fire
  • Providence
  • The Rancher (Redbourne, #1)
  • Dark Warrior: To Tame a Wild Hawk (Dark Cloth, #1)
  • A Promise of Thunder (Horizon Set, #2)
  • Texas Outlaw (Wild Texas Nights, #1)
I'm a former software designer, campaign manager, deli clerk, and cow milker, but always a bookworm. Check out my western historical romance series, Hearts of Owyhee : Much Ado About Marshals, Much Ado About Madams, and Much Ado About Mavericks.

Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews says: "Jacquie Rogers writes some of the best Historical Romances on today's market...Absolutely fantastic!"

Need a quick H
More about Jacquie Rogers...

Hearts of Owyhee (4 books)
  • Much Ado About Madams
  • Much Ado About Mavericks ( Hearts of Owyhee, #3 )
  • Much Ado About Miners (Hearts of Owyhee County, #4)
Much Ado About Madams Much Ado About Mavericks ( Hearts of Owyhee, #3 ) Faery Special Romances Down Home Ever Lovin' Mule Blues Much Ado About Miners (Hearts of Owyhee County, #4)