Start by marking “Adrift on an Ice Pan” as Want to Read:
Adrift on an Ice Pan

Adrift on an Ice Pan

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Audio CD
Published November 1st 2004 by Rattling Books (first published January 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Adrift on an Ice Pan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrift on an Ice Pan

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Terror by Dan SimmonsTo Build a Fire and Other Stories by Jack London
Out in the Cold
77th out of 224 books — 87 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonDoctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Land of Ice and Snow
65th out of 120 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Jrobertus
May 19, 2014 Jrobertus rated it really liked it
This slim volume was written in 1909, and reflects the interest in exploration and adventure of the time. the author, Wilfred Grenfell, was an Oxford educated physician who, like many in the time, felt that he needed to commit himself to good works to have a meaningful life. At the time of the adventure, 1903, he was ministering to fisherman on the north coast of Labrador. Rushing to the aid of a young patient, he short cuts across a thawing bay, and winds up adrift with his dogs. He is rescued ...more
Renee
Jun 19, 2008 Renee rated it it was ok
I listened to the abridged audio book version of this book and was not impressed.
Even though I have not read 'Adrift on an Ice Pan' in the original it is obvious that much of the story is lost in the one hour long audio version.
The reader is taken through the story in far too short a time to appreciate the ordeal the main character endures and I get the impression that many important details are left out.
I suppose I shouldn't have expected that much considering how much was taken out, but its am
Eric
Jul 18, 2014 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting story of arctic survival. Grenfell was ill-prepared when he set out, and his experience at doing what's required yield valuable lessons for today.
Paul Green
Jun 09, 2014 Paul Green rated it liked it
A short audio book that painted a powerful picture of life and struggle against the creel North Atlantic!
John
Mar 04, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
A short but miraculous tale of survival when the odds seemed impossible.
Cyndi
Jul 03, 2015 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Very exciting story!
Faye
Nov 06, 2011 Faye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This book tied in with the "Theatre of Fish" book that I read last spring. True life story. Very short book...I think only about 50-60 pages. The husband of a friend of mine is from St. Anthony's in Newfoundland which is where Grenfell was based. He heard I read Theatre of Fish (which is all about Nfld.) and lent this book to me to read Grenfell's first hand account of his adventure.
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 03, 2010 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I listened to this on a librivox recording. Its a rather interesting account of Wilfred Thomason Grenfell's 1892 'adventures' up in the north seas. Grenfell, from England, had gone to Newfoundland and Labrador to observe fisherfolk's lives there, he later assisted in many a humanitarian work in the area.
Max Wilson
Jul 09, 2013 Max Wilson rated it liked it
A very short read, perfect for folks waiting in a airport or some other medium-length wait. A little tough for dog lovers, though. The voice actor's rendition of a Newfoundlander's accent was shockingly accurate and way too close to home, aye.
T
Jul 20, 2013 T rated it really liked it
A very good book and a short,quick read. AboutSir Wilfred Thomason Grenfell (1865-1940) medical missionary to Newfoundland and Labrador.
Tome Addiction
Jan 26, 2016 Tome Addiction rated it liked it
Shelves: true-story
A great little story I found for free online. A survival story of a man stuck on the ice adrift in the arctic.
Brigid
Sep 05, 2013 Brigid rated it it was ok
Audiobook: more of a chapter or a short story. Well narrated and interesting, but so short I was disappointed.
Elizabeth
Lily
Lily added it
Apr 26, 2016
Alanna Kaplan
Alanna Kaplan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
T
T rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Randy Compton
Randy Compton rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Barbara Zeidl
Barbara Zeidl rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Eric Patey
Eric Patey marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kelvin
Kelvin rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Sia
Sia rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Christie Van
Christie Van marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sir Wilfred Thomason Grenfell, KCMG (28 February 1865 – 9 October 1940) was a medical missionary to Newfoundland and Labrador.

Grenfell moved to London in 1882. He then commenced the study of medicine at the London Hospital Medical College (now part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry) under the tutelage of Sir Frederick Treves: he graduated in 1888. His immediate family came f
More about Wilfred Grenfell...