Start by marking “Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon” as Want to Read:
Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The marathon is the crown jewel of distance running. Entering is one thing.
Published July 1st 1998 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

Natalie Hotz
Feb 11, 2013 Natalie Hotz rated it it was amazing
Four months to a four hour marathon was a very informative book. I loved it, I'm training for a marathon and this book reinforced a lot of what I already knew and gave me new tips and different ways of thinking. I learned ways to keep my shins from getting damaged, since I have problems with shin splints. It wasn't a miracle solution but it definitely helped. I adored this book and I recommend this book to any one who is just picking up running or is training for their first marathon!
If you do n
May
Apr 12, 2008 May rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: marathoners
This is a great book for a runner who just wants to get out and train for their first marathon, but doesn't know how to lay out the training plan for distance (how many miles, how many times per week, what pace). It's a very simple book with a training program that will work. It also has training plans for 4+ hours (4:15, 4:30 and 4:45).

It is not personalized and is based on pace, not heart rate, so for a completely inexperienced runner (who has to be careful not to overtrain) or the experience
Chris Bumpas
Aug 12, 2014 Chris Bumpas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got me through my first marathon in 2011.
Gamelian
Will it work?
Marion
Aug 17, 2011 Marion rated it liked it
Was very basic. The information wasn't new or anything I couldn't find for free online. The training program is good and he does a good job of explaining how each workout should be done. Training programs can cost anywhere between $10-30. This book cost me $10 so I feel like all I did was basically buy a training program. It seems to be a good one and worth the $30 range though, so I'm pleases
Kristen
Jan 27, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
I'm just not sure that 116 pages can teach you to run a 4 hour marathon! This book was published in 1998 so some of the information is outdated. The first red flag is that he advises runners to heel-strike.

As for the training plans, they probably work. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to train for my next marathon- but I don't think this is it.
Crystal
Dec 24, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
This is a great read for someone who is looking for a good marathon training plan. I'm bummed because my knee still hurts. SO READY TO GET BACK OUT THERE!! I have an appointment with Evans on the 28...we'll see!
Brian Walker
Jul 22, 2013 Brian Walker rated it it was ok
Shelves: running
The book had some good starter info on types of workouts and the reasoning behind them. I did like that it included the goal pace times for each of the workouts. Most everything else was dated.
Book Noir (Erica)
Aug 09, 2013 Book Noir (Erica) rated it really liked it
Lisa
Feb 15, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, running
I'd definitely be interested in trying the plan if I was training for a flat marathon.
Amanda Fillmore Martin
Aug 09, 2008 Amanda Fillmore Martin rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone interested in training for a marathon.
Melissa
I'm still skeptical..but I have 6 months til Columbus...so maaaaaybeeee....
Amber Schramm
Good tips. A very quick read!
Melissa
Mar 06, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Very basic.
Alan Mizell
Alan Mizell rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Lester
Lester is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2016
Kevin Peters
Kevin Peters marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Nathalie
Nathalie is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Conrad Macalalad
Conrad Macalalad rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
alysha
alysha added it
Jan 17, 2016
David Mills
David Mills rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Rhett Bratt
Rhett Bratt rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Debra Jepsen Bivens
Debra Jepsen Bivens rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
pj sini
pj sini rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015