Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The marathon is the crown jewel of distance running. Entering is one thing.
Published July 1st 1998 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon

Natalie Hotz
Four months to a four hour marathon was a very informative book. I loved it, I'm training for a marathon and this book reinforced a lot of what I already knew and gave me new tips and different ways of thinking. I learned ways to keep my shins from getting damaged, since I have problems with shin splints. It wasn't a miracle solution but it definitely helped. I adored this book and I recommend this book to any one who is just picking up running or is training for their first marathon!
If you do n...more
May
Apr 12, 2008 May rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: marathoners
This is a great book for a runner who just wants to get out and train for their first marathon, but doesn't know how to lay out the training plan for distance (how many miles, how many times per week, what pace). It's a very simple book with a training program that will work. It also has training plans for 4+ hours (4:15, 4:30 and 4:45).

It is not personalized and is based on pace, not heart rate, so for a completely inexperienced runner (who has to be careful not to overtrain) or the experience...more
Chris Bumpas
Got me through my first marathon in 2011.
Marion
Was very basic. The information wasn't new or anything I couldn't find for free online. The training program is good and he does a good job of explaining how each workout should be done. Training programs can cost anywhere between $10-30. This book cost me $10 so I feel like all I did was basically buy a training program. It seems to be a good one and worth the $30 range though, so I'm pleases
Kristen
I'm just not sure that 116 pages can teach you to run a 4 hour marathon! This book was published in 1998 so some of the information is outdated. The first red flag is that he advises runners to heel-strike.

As for the training plans, they probably work. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to train for my next marathon- but I don't think this is it.
Crystal
This is a great read for someone who is looking for a good marathon training plan. I'm bummed because my knee still hurts. SO READY TO GET BACK OUT THERE!! I have an appointment with Evans on the 28...we'll see!
Brian Walker
The book had some good starter info on types of workouts and the reasoning behind them. I did like that it included the goal pace times for each of the workouts. Most everything else was dated.
Book Noir (Erica)
Lisa
I'd definitely be interested in trying the plan if I was training for a flat marathon.
Amanda Fillmore Martin
This is a great book for anyone interested in training for a marathon.
Melissa
I'm still skeptical..but I have 6 months til Columbus...so maaaaaybeeee....
Amber Schramm
Good tips. A very quick read!
Melissa
Very basic.
Amanda Boyer
Amanda Boyer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Juan Gutierrez
Juan Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon,Updated 3 Months to Your First 5k Run Away From Fat: The 90 Day Weight Loss Programme How to Run a Personal Record: Cover the Ground in Front of You Faster Than Ever Before How to Run a Personal Record