Start by marking “How I Created My Perfect Prom Date” as Want to Read:
How I Created My Perfect Prom Date

How I Created My Perfect Prom Date (Soundview High #2)

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Smart, pretty, popular Nicole expects basketball star Brad to ask her to the prom, but at the last minute Brad asks someone else. It's the last minute and all the good guys are taken. Desperate, Nicole turns to her life-long grunge-boy friend Chase. But when she tries to turn him into her perfect prom date, all sorts of unexpected things happen, including a few she could n ...more
Published (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about How I Created My Perfect Prom Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Created My Perfect Prom Date

Maren
It's amazing that screenwriters were able to make anything of this book. Drive Me Crazy is a sleepover nostalgia favorite of mine, so I wanted to read the book it was based on.

Other than the character's names and the basic "popular girl turns boy-next-door into a hottie" bit, the book and the movie are totally different. I enjoyed the movie, for starters. Also, the narration trades off between Nicole and Chase, not every chapter, but every two pages.

Though here's a fun thing, if you read the eB
Jule Hack
Nicole and Chase are childhood friends and neighbours, but in their Highschool years, they'r not on speaking terms. Nicoles life is with the popular crowd and she does everything to stay popular. Chase likes to do pranks but he's clever too. And when Nicoles plan for prom date asks another girl, she decides not to give up. So she's left with Chase and a huge makeover. But what do you do when you start having feelings for your selfmade prom date?

Nicole and Chase told us by turns what they decide
Alicia
After re-watching "Drive Me Crazy" for about the 15th time last week, I finally discovered it was based on this book.

Certain scenes are straight out of the book. But there are some differences, too.

The book is definitely a little more grown up in some ways, which was all right with me (Ray's habit and the confusion and responses of Chase and Dave; the reason for the divorce of the Maris parents, although that felt a bit far-fetched).

Pros of the book:
--You get more depth behind Nicole and Alici
Shelby
So, funny note: My copy of this book is titled "GIRL GIVES BIRTH TO OWN PROM DATE"--the title was the thing that got me to salvage it from a local book sale. If the title'd been "How I Created..." I would have deeeeffinniitely passed it up. The description on the jacket seemed a little fluffy, but I thought, "Hey, with a title like that it's gotta go someplace funky, right?" Oops, kinda. Also, I didn't know this is the novel "Drive Me Crazy" was based on. Go figure! A real piece of '90s nostalgi ...more
Leah
Confession time: I love the movie Drive Me Crazy. Like, an almost unfortunate amount. So of course when I stumbled across the book it's based on in the library today I had to give it a read. First impression was that the one page turns between jumping character perspective is a fairly irritating way to write a book. Other than that, the characters and plot were your basic high school kids. There were even parts where I knew they lifted the dialogue directly out of the book for the movie. I much ...more
KendallS
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

‘How I Created My Perfect Prom Date’ the second book in the Time Zone High series was okay through my eyes. I made a prediction about what I thought Stacy’s job was going to be when the book first started. The book was so predictable and flat out boring, but there was something that kept me going probably who was going to end up with who situation. I think that was the thing that made me finish the book. Sadly Ray and Nicole end up together Chase goes to the prom alone; Brad a
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Well, this is the book that the movie "Drive Me Crazy" is based off. Unfortunately, this book goes in the category where I enjoyed the film more than the book. It's similar in a lot of ways, but completely different in other. Like, Nicole & Chase never had a big falling out and it never discusses what happened to Chase's mom. Ray is completely different, he is a big pot-head and ends up having to go to rehad after driving a c
Srempfer
My 11th grade daughter, and some of my students (I"m a high school teacher), were assigned this book, so I picked it up and took a look. It's not exactly "Hamlet" or "The Great Gatsby", but it is a fun read, and I'm sure it holds the attention of many young readers.

As a fellow writer (struggling) I found it annoying that this has sold millions of copies, but after reading it, one can see why. The chapters are extremely short (2-4) pages, the action is steady, and teens can relate to the gravity
Marcia
Just finished this book. I love the movie Drive Me Crazy that was based upon this book. The book was another interesting outlook of what happened in the movie. however I prefer the mocie ending.
Juliane
I'd love to give the book more stars but it's just not worth it.
I bought it because one of my favourite films - Drive me crazy - is an adaptation of this book. So I thought I should give it a try.

So, I got it. This 200 pages- with large letters- book with the shortest chapters ever. I read it whitin one hour, seriously.
It's funny and very superficial. I kind of liked it because I always thought of the movie during the reading. But you can't feel the love, you can't feel the people, you can't get
Tiffany
This book was amusing in parts. Amusing enough that I had a smile on my face every once in a while. But by the end of the book I wondered what exactly the point was. Yes, I understand that there was plenty points made throughout the book about our miniscule amount of time we spend on earth. That there was forever before and forever after and we are some "spit on the sidewalk" somewhere during that time. With some of the other characters thrown in the story there are some other valid points the a ...more
Meoshi yui
When I read the cover I conjured up a bunch of ridiculous explanations to the title. Did the mom take his son to prom? Nah. Is this one of those Frankenstein books? Hope not. But when I read the book I was really into the whole concept. The only flaw that I point out is that it should have been longer cause the ending was like a cliff hanger. When I looked for the sequel, it was about completely different set of teens in the same school, I want to know what happened without reading a completely ...more
Sidra
I guess in a way the book was an exception to my normal reading. This book was light, boringly so. The narration was new though, about two pages of chapters each. I think it is too keep the attention of bimbos who read. They do have the attention span of a gnat. I didn’t really get why she first wanted to go out with Brad, then Chase, then Ray and then Chase again. The ending was a twist, but not a surprise. I hated that she added scientific facts to look smart.
Courtney
Short, fun read that was the basis for the movie Drive Me Crazy.

Written in 1996, the book is already surprisingly dated. In truth, I like the movie better than the book. In the novel, the characters somehow lacked dimension and while unintentional, I think Strasser was a little heavy-handed in his attempt to moralize the past (discussions of The Establishment in the context of the Vietnam War).
Molly
I recently re-watched the movie Drive Me Crazy and saw in the opening credits that it was based on this book and so I decided to read it. This is a situation where I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book. It's not a bad book, I just liked the movie more. The movie actually follows the book a lot, but there are many things it changes as well. Many were for the better. Overall, enjoyable.
Snarky's
Oh this is the one that got me going. You might be familiar with the mediocre movie called "Drive me Crazy" starring Melissa Joan Hart and a pre-Entourage Adrian Grenier. The chapters alternate between Nicole and Chase and their budding "romance". Nicole is queen of the populars and Chase is her childhood neighbor and scruffy slacker. There's backstory galore and all kinds of wackiness.
Betsy
This was ok. It was very close to the movie (Drive Me Crazy starring Melissa Joan Hart) but I actually preferred the movie (which is always a surprise). The story is told from alternating points of view between Nicole and Chase. The whole first 3/4 of the book seemed to drag and then out of nowhere everything happens and ends in the span of about 5 pages.
Maura
This is the novel the movie, Drive Me Crazy (with Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier) was based on. Our main character takes her childhood friend and tries to turn him into a popular guy so he can be her prom date. It was good, definitely a novel for teens. But I can't help but think that the movie was better.
Callie
THis book wasn't too bad, but it had way too many turns and some stuff that made me wonder...such as boys getting super drunk at parties, drug use, talking about making out though nothing in detail, and that kind of stuff... a little bit of swearing. I don't think I would reccomend this book.
Mónica
El libro no es que sea malo... es que es... no tengo palabras para lo que es. He leído peores, eso sí. Pero este libro no tiene una cabeza ni un punto final ni nada de nada de nada. No me causa ningún ruido porque me acerqué sin esperar nada y recibí nada a cambio. Yeii.
Teen
This book was actually humorous. When a girl needs a date for the prom she manages to turn her good friend, next door neighbor, into a passable prom date. This was made into the movie Drive Me Crazy.
Lizzy
Nicole finds that the perfect prom is not the end all in life.
Chase rebels against any norm, until Nicole talks him into going to the prom with her.
Meanwhile, their parents fall in love.
Nisha
Have you ever watched 'Drive me crazy' with Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier? Well this is the book that it was based off of. It's really a cute book, cliche but who doesn't like them?
Katie
Cute story. There were little things that bugged me here and there and I didn't get to know the characters as well as I would like, but, overall, enjoyable.
Nancy Bielski
This was the book that inspired the oh-so-classic teen movie "Drive Me Crazy." It was a lot different from the movie and awesome.
Kelly
Much more believable teenage characters than some of the other teen romances I've read. Enjoyed it.
Ariel
Jul 03, 2010 Ariel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love the movie that is based off of this , so I'd like to give it a try . (:
Lisa
The movie (Drive Me Crazy) was better. Seriously.
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • Waylaid
  • Sooner or Later
  • THEY CALL ME MAD DOG!: A Story for Bitter, Lonely People
  • The Hookup Artist
  • Love Is One of the Choices
  • The Personal Touch (Harlequin Blaze, #484)
  • There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)
  • The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies
  • Is Kissing a Girl Who Smokes Like Licking an Ashtray?
  • If You Only Knew (Friendship Ring, #1)
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • How to Tame a Modern Rogue
  • The Crazy Things Girls Do for Love
  • Tutored
  • Ms. Match (Harlequin Blaze, #424)
  • If You Really Loved Me (Urban Underground #4)
  • After Delores
Todd Strasser is an American author of more than 130 young-adult and middle grade novels and novelizations, some written under the pen names Morton Rue and T.S.Rue

Todd was born in New York City. When he was young his parents moved to Roslyn Heights, New York (Long Island). Todd went to the I.U. Willets Elementary school and then attended the Wheatley School for junior high and high school. His bes
More about Todd Strasser...

Soundview High (3 books)
  • How I Changed My Life
  • How I Spent My Last Night on Earth
Give a Boy a Gun Boot Camp Wish You Were Dead (Thrillogy, #1) Fallout Blood on My Hands (Thrillogy, #2)