Start by marking “Amnesia” as Want to Read:
Amnesia

Amnesia

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Amnesia is the bestselling first novel by Douglas Anthony Cooper (author of Delirium, and the Milrose Munce novels for young adults). It was shortlisted for the WH Smith First Novel Award, and longlisted for the Commonwealth Prize.
________________

Who is Katie? And who destroyed her? A gothic story of a crime that cannot be remembered: a spectral midnight visitor who steps
Kindle Edition, Random House / Hyperion version, republished on Kindle
Published July 6th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Amnesia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amnesia

Douglas Cooper
Jul 13, 2011 Douglas Cooper rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone, even the illiterate and the unborn.
Recommended to Douglas by: Some muse.
Amnesia was my first novel, so I've given it five stars. (Which I've given to my second, third and fourth novels, for similar reasons.) It was a bestseller when it was first released by Random House in the early nineties, but it is now fantastically expensive on paper: vampire bouquinistes who speculate in second-hand first editions are charging hundreds of dollars for less-than-pristine copies. Hence, I've republished the novel myself as a Kindle book.

I'm proud to announce that Amnesia is curre
Warren
I'm not sure where I found this book, but I enjoyed it. About a man recounting this grand tale to another man moments away from his wedding. Quietly engrossing.
Ramie
Okay first off - I will disagree with those who say that if you read Milrose you must read this as I sent Milrose to my young nephew and even though he sometimes reads "adult" books instead of books meant for a younger audience, this would be beyond him. So while yes this is the same author who wrote Milrose please make no mistake - it's not for everyone who read and loved that book.

Now with that said, for the rest of us, I'm not even sure where to begin. The book itself sort of warns of that s
Tracy
As Abstract and Disturbing as a Fractured Mind
A man with no memory. A memory with no man. And the broken girl who spans the bridge between them.

There are books that are read and enjoyed, books that thrill, that scare, that anger, that birth hope, renew faith, hint at love. Amnesia is not one of those books. In fact, Amnesia isn't quite like any other book I've read, and now that I've done so, ordering my thoughts and feelings about it seem as herculean a task as understanding all the brilliant
Robert Beveridge
Douglas Cooper, Amnesia (Hyperion, 1994)
[originally posted 10Apr2000]

After a good deal of thought, I finally decided this one gets a **** ½ instead of a five. Why? Because, while it's utterly brilliant, it doesn't quite have the life-changing qualities as The Secret Service or The Diviners did. Ah, well, you can't win 'em all.

Izzy is a very odd person. And on the narrator's wedding day, Izzy shows up at the narrator's place of business (yes, he's there on his wedding day) and begins spinning his
Dora Okeyo
Reading this book is like trying to unravel a mystery that you know not it's beginning or ending. The story opens with the narrator talking about a wedding he's got to attend in 4 hours. His own wedding. He doesn't love his bride to be- not really. In walks Izzy- and he starts telling him a story about his life- and about Katie- so the story itself is more about figuring who Katie is and how come Izzy and the narrator are so engrossed in her life.
It's more about memory and how important that is
Nicholas
This book messes with your head big time. I had a very difficult time keeping track of the story as it jumps around a lot. But there were a lot of emotions pulled on throughout the story. Actually I think it pretty much hit on all of them. I think if I was a little more well-read I would have seen/understood more symbolism in the book. The story made allusions to Frankenstein, Hitler (Mein Kompf perhaps?), greek mythology, Judaism, Nietzche, and more which I can't remember. Not that reading the ...more
Alicia
An interesting story even more so having been written by a man!! It's jam packed with incredible insight. It took my breath away around every corner. Not complicated at all. Yes, amnesia........
Anne
I didn't like this book at all. I couldn't make any sense of it. I didn't even want to give it "1".
Knightreader Mullen
This was a little complicated. It does not flo like a typical book. Certainly a very intersting read and worth the time.
Jenny
What the...???!
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jejeee
Jejeee marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Hulda St. Felix
Hulda St. Felix marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Maren Carlsen
Maren Carlsen marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Hayley Ownbey
Hayley Ownbey marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Nouha Benjelloun
Nouha Benjelloun marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Emilia Robinson
Emilia Robinson marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
René
René marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Karen Smith
Karen Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Psychology
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Volume 1
  • Three Hainish Novels (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • Open Sources
  • A History of the Modern World
  • Fair Stood the Wind for France
  • Foucault for Beginners
  • Crazy as Chocolate
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Social and Cultural Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction
Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help Milrose Munce and the Plague of Toxic Fungus Delirium