Start by marking “Amnesia” as Want to Read:
Amnesia

Amnesia

Amnesia is the bestselling first novel by Douglas Anthony Cooper (author of Delirium, and the Milrose Munce novels for young adults). It was shortlisted for the WH Smith First Novel Award, and longlisted for the Commonwealth Prize.
________________

Who is Katie? And who destroyed her? A gothic story of a crime that cannot be remembered: a spectral midnight visitor who steps
Kindle Edition, Random House / Hyperion version, republished on Kindle
Published July 6th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Amnesia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amnesia

Douglas Cooper
Jul 12, 2011 Douglas Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone, even the illiterate and the unborn.
Recommended to Douglas by: Some muse.
Amnesia was my first novel, so I've given it five stars. (Which I've given to my second, third and fourth novels, for similar reasons.) It was a bestseller when it was first released by Random House in the early nineties, but it is now fantastically expensive on paper: vampire bouquinistes who speculate in second-hand first editions are charging hundreds of dollars for less-than-pristine copies. Hence, I've republished the novel myself as a Kindle book.

I'm proud to announce that Amnesia is curre
Tracy
Jul 26, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
As Abstract and Disturbing as a Fractured Mind
A man with no memory. A memory with no man. And the broken girl who spans the bridge between them.

There are books that are read and enjoyed, books that thrill, that scare, that anger, that birth hope, renew faith, hint at love. Amnesia is not one of those books. In fact, Amnesia isn't quite like any other book I've read, and now that I've done so, ordering my thoughts and feelings about it seem as herculean a task as understanding all the brilliant
Warren
Jan 25, 2009 Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure where I found this book, but I enjoyed it. About a man recounting this grand tale to another man moments away from his wedding. Quietly engrossing.
Robert Beveridge
Douglas Cooper, Amnesia (Hyperion, 1994)
[originally posted 10Apr2000]

After a good deal of thought, I finally decided this one gets a **** instead of a five. Why? Because, while it's utterly brilliant, it doesn't quite have the life-changing qualities as The Secret Service or The Diviners did. Ah, well, you can't win 'em all.

Izzy is a very odd person. And on the narrator's wedding day, Izzy shows up at the narrator's place of business (yes, he's there on his wedding day) and begins spinning his
Ramie
Jul 20, 2011 Ramie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Okay first off - I will disagree with those who say that if you read Milrose you must read this as I sent Milrose to my young nephew and even though he sometimes reads "adult" books instead of books meant for a younger audience, this would be beyond him. So while yes this is the same author who wrote Milrose please make no mistake - it's not for everyone who read and loved that book.

Now with that said, for the rest of us, I'm not even sure where to begin. The book itself sort of warns of that s
Nicholas
This book messes with your head big time. I had a very difficult time keeping track of the story as it jumps around a lot. But there were a lot of emotions pulled on throughout the story. Actually I think it pretty much hit on all of them. I think if I was a little more well-read I would have seen/understood more symbolism in the book. The story made allusions to Frankenstein, Hitler (Mein Kompf perhaps?), greek mythology, Judaism, Nietzche, and more which I can't remember. Not that reading the ...more
Dora Okeyo
Reading this book is like trying to unravel a mystery that you know not it's beginning or ending. The story opens with the narrator talking about a wedding he's got to attend in 4 hours. His own wedding. He doesn't love his bride to be- not really. In walks Izzy- and he starts telling him a story about his life- and about Katie- so the story itself is more about figuring who Katie is and how come Izzy and the narrator are so engrossed in her life.
It's more about memory and how important that is
Carolin
I can't decide whether I liked it or not, only that the story will stick with me. Weird turns, and story lines that melt, memory that can't be trusted, stories that can be found in the air and a golden little creature that rapes the most innocent of girls. That's about the best I can do to tell anybody about the book.
Jenny
Aug 15, 2011 Jenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2011
What the...???!
Anne (sweetie)
Nov 07, 2014 Anne (sweetie) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book at all. I couldn't make any sense of it. I didn't even want to give it "1".
Knightreader Mullen
This was a little complicated. It does not flo like a typical book. Certainly a very intersting read and worth the time.
Alicia
Oct 30, 2014 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story even more so having been written by a man!! It's jam packed with incredible insight. It took my breath away around every corner. Not complicated at all. Yes, amnesia........
Edgar Trevizo
Dafuq did I just read... O_O'
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Jeffery Tremmel
Jeffery Tremmel rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2013
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Kjubejz
Kjubejz rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Eliza Winter
Eliza Winter rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Tiziana
Tiziana rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Lorena Bailey
Lorena Bailey rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Hanker9
Hanker9 rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Jon Blackwelder
Jon Blackwelder rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2011
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2009
Xena
Xena rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Chuck
Chuck rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Stephen Fysh
Stephen Fysh rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Stephanie Ovens
Stephanie Ovens rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Volume 1
  • Open Sources
  • Dream Dictionary: An A to Z Guide to Understanding Your Unconscious Mind
  • Linux Pocket Guide
  • The Gendered Society
  • The Key to Theosophy
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia