Start by marking “Half-Marathon: You Can Do It” as Want to Read:
Half-Marathon: You Can Do It

Half-Marathon: You Can Do It

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  37 reviews
If you are thinking about training for a half-marathon, Jeff Galloway can help you prepare well, enjoy the training and glow from the achievement of crossing the finish line. This book is loaded with tips on how to stay motivated and eliminate aches, pains, and injuries.
Published May 1st 2006 by Meyer & Meyer Sport (first published April 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Half-Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half-Marathon

Matija
Half-Marathon: You Can Do It is a collection of running wisdom and training programs of Jeff Galloway, one of best known running coaches and former 10k Olympian.

There are different programs for the half-marathon, depending on what time you wish to achieve. They are all based on Galloway's run-walk-run method, though much of the advice applies even if you're not using walking breaks. Then there are chapters that explain how to do speed training, hill training, magic mile trials runs, burning fat
Priscilla
My boss gave me this book when I told her I was thinking about running a half marathon. It is a great book for those who want a great running program, but have no idea where to start (like me).

The book focuses on his walk-run method, which is basically run for a few minutes (between 2-5, depending on your level) then walk for a bit (between 1-3, again that depends on your level). If you plan out your walk to run ratios, you won't get tired as easily and you'll be able to finish the half marathon
Kristen
The Galloway run/walk method has given me the confidence to run a half marathon and this is the perfect guide to get me to the finish. The walk breaks are simply genius! I only do run/walk now even for my 5k's. Funny thing is...I'm not in love with running, but it's great exercise. The walk breaks truly make running better because it's only in short spurts (time intervals chosen by you). I spoke to a lady at a 10k that was using the method and the Galloway Timer (available on his website) and sh ...more
Kristyn Redahan
I started training wih the plan on his website before i got this book. There are big differences between the plans which i dont understand, but this book fills in a lot of the missing details from the website and offers info on nutrition, cross training, clothing, and motivation. Of course i could find all this information online but there is so much conflicting knowledge out there that its nice to have one book to reference when you have a question. I'll use this book until i have some more exp ...more
Amy
I guess I should come back after my first half in October and to update the training results, but the book was super easy to read, and makes a lot of good points about running for the enjoyment of running, not time, and training in a way to avoid injury. I was really surprised at the accuracy of the "magic mile" to predict longer run times.

The negatives: it seems the book is a compilation of previous shorter writings, so there is a lot of repetition throughout the book and some slight discrepan
Nicole
Good, basic information for conquering half marathons. I frequently refer back to the training plans and a few other sections of the book. Although, I do think that the information could have been organized into longer chapters of related information. If a chapter title only has enough supporting information for one or two pages (with pictures too!) then there is probably another place it can go.
Stampie
A decent book on running, but definitely basic. By the time I read it, I had already learned a lot of what was presented. Still good information, though. It also has several 1/2 marathon training plans, two of which I've already followed. It helped me through the Army 10 Miler and the Disney 1/2! I do love me some Jeff Galloway <3
Barbara
Very interesting. Having walked and walk/jogged two half marathons, I read this in preparing for my third. He has some theories / opinions that go against what I'd learned in the past (re: stretching, for example)... but since I *do* want to be able to run for enjoyment/fitness for years to come, definitely worth the read.
Kari
good book with lots of information. great training advice (hills, sprints, timing your "magic mile", long runs) and injury areas (how to treat and how to correct the running issue causing it). VERY easy read, does repeat himself quite often throughout the book. Galloway has TONS of experience running and coaching.
Mariel
Super useful read. There are training programs to prepare you for your first half, or to help you improve your time. It covers everything from form, to eating, to dealing with weather and motivation issues. It made me feel much more comfortable as I'm beginning to train for my first half.
Kristina
I was a little bit disappointed by this book. I found a number of things which were just unbelievable. For example, the little section on losing fat. The run-walk method seems interesting and something I might try in the future, but I was hoping for something a little more in depth, more detailed.
Theresa
This was a pretty good book, a lot of great info for beginning and advanced runners. We'll see though how it helps me train for my half! :) I like though that it includes several training plans to choose from and also explains pretty well certain running terms or techniques etc.
Scott Bauer
This book was OK, it was quite redundant, could had just as easily been a long pamphlet on how to start running. I got this and a few other of his books at the same time, and they are all pretty much exactly the same except for the primary training plan.
Nicole
It worked! I loved the beginners program. I finished my first 1/2 marathon feeling strong, with no injuries during training, and wanting to do it again! I am hoping to get the courage to try his full marathon program.
Traci_wom
I plan to use this book to train for a half marathon in September. I've been using the run-walk-run method for at least a year, and I love it! It allows me to run longer distances without major pains or injury.
Cassi Campbell
Great training book - really good for beginner runners - i use it weekly as I am training. Also a lot of great training schedules for experienced runners as well as lots of nutrition tips.

Excellent resource for half-marathon training! Still consulting it but marked as read as we have transitioned to the official training schedule pace for the WDW Half in Jan!
Stephanie
With the exception of a few training plans, this was really more of a general running guide (not special to half marathons, in my opinion). But the info presented was helpful nevertheless.
Craig
An overly-complicated book with not a lot of substance. The section on training schedules is good, but that is literally 10 pages of the whole book. The rest is filler.
As far as I can tell, Galloway keeps writing the same book over and over, with modifications for different distances. I've used some of the information.
Lesley
Dec 25, 2008 Lesley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: non-fiction, running
I liked getting some more training tips for my next half marathon. This will continue to be a good reference book, especially for speed workouts.
Elizabeth
Some of the things he said were common sense but there was A LOT of valuable information. I see a Half-Marathon coming my way sometime in 2012!
Jen
Getting ready for running my first half...the November 2013 Wine and Dine Half at Disney's Food and Wine festival.
Tori
I don't understand his aversion to stretching, but otherwise I think his books are great for beginners like me.
Dave
Nothing earth shattering...interesting perspective on the walking and I am using some of his speed workouts
Amy
Mostly pictures and adverts for various products (Accelerade anyone?) but some handy tips for beginners.
Tonia
Lots of great information on running, diet, preventing injury, etc. A good, informative read.
Michael Thomas Angelo
Apr 08, 2009 Michael Thomas Angelo marked it as to-read
I have followed the Galloway method since I became a runner. He is the master of technique.
Jessietaylortanner
i love you Jeff Galloway, but this book reads like a junior high textbook from the '80s.
Dec 27, 2009 Laura marked it as thrown-aside
I'm sticking with the Sprint-Tri races for now. Maybe a half next year??
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools
  • Running Anatomy
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Making Up for Lost Time
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
  • Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
  • Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
  • Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, The Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique
  • The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy life. Lose weight.
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • 14 Minutes: A Running Legend's Life and Death and Life
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
Galloway's Book on Running Marathon: You Can Do It! Womens Complete Guide to Running Running--Getting Started Galloway Training Programs