Start by marking “The House of Pride and Other Tales of Hawaii by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure” as Want to Read:

Originally published in 1912, this collection contains six stories:

- The House of Pride
- Koolau the Leper
- Good-bye, Jack
- Aloha Oe
- Chun Ah Chun
- The Sheriff of Kona

A departure from London's normal tales of the frozen North, all of these tales take place in the islands of Hawaii.
Published August 1st 2006 by Aegypan (first published March 1st 1912)

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Pride and Other Tales of Hawaii by Jack London, Fiction, Action & Adventure

Sheila
This was an interesting collection of short stories by author Jack London, of a time mostly gone by in Hawaii. Many of these stories dealt with leprosy and the victims of this disease being sent away to Molokai. Some of the stories also dealt with class differences, some of which still exist in one form or another in society today. All the stories were well written and thought provoking.
Jessica
Mar 11, 2017 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-read
I have only actually read The House of Pride, which is the only book I intended to read from this book, for now. I may read more of it in the future. But I have other stories that I would like to read first.
Ana Palitroche
La casa del orgullo
La verdad es que este relato me pareció bastante normalito. Me gustan los relatos, sí, pero generalmente me quedo con un vacío gigantesco cuando el relato es bueno y yo solo quiero seguir leyendo. Desafortunadamente, con este relato, no sentí absolutamente nada. Es más, todo me pareció redundante y no podía dejar de pensar y añorar la prosa de Jack London en Colmillo Blanco y La llamada de la selva . Prefiero, mil veces, a London narrando las aventuras de los animales que
Pam
Dec 27, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Having grown up in Hawaii and lived on the Big Island, I loved the beautiful comparisons of the trade winds and the mountain breezes in "The Sheriff Of Kona"-- the words transported me to a place I wish I were enjoying today rather than trying to keep warm in snowy weather.

As a person recently retired, I think I enjoyed "Ah Chun" a great deal. A brave man who actually did something that many people daydream about.

"Aloha Oe" was an interesting story that dealt with very real racial issues that we
David Stone
Mar 17, 2013 David Stone rated it it was amazing
Great stories about Hawaii, whose themes still resonate today. House of Pride is one of the saddest tales I've ever read about brothers. Koolau the Leper is an incredible allegory about U.S. expansion into Hawaii, as well as a vertiginous story about evading quarantine on Kauai. Goodbye, Jack and The Sheriff of Kona read almost like journalistic sketches about the socially blind disease of leprosy, while Aloha Oe is a surprisingly romantic sketch of the blue lagoons of youth polluted by racism. ...more
Trounin
Читая рассказы Джека Лондона всегда приходишь к пониманию, что вот ты в них запутался. Их поразительное обилие требует основательной усидчивости, иначе напрочь теряешь их привязку к времени написания. При этом у Лондона сюжеты остаются неизменными. Вновь читатель сталкивается с гавайскими сказаниями, мытарствами на Соломоновых островах, с тяжёлыми условиями Клондайка. Изредка внимание привлекают редкие, но всё же встречаемые темы, вроде исследования человеческой психики, погружения в реалии перв ...more
Liz
May 19, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Starting reading at the tale end of a trip to Hawaii. I would probably read it again if I were off to Hawaii. The short stories convey the nearly mystical feeling specific to Hawaii that the islands exert on all who visit. I had also had a brief conversation with a local about how Hawaii became part of the US just prior to picking the book up. I would give it 4.5 starts if I could. Maybe 5.
John Valesano
Feb 16, 2015 John Valesano rated it really liked it
The book contains several short stories that revolve around Hawaii and it's cultural morals, taboos, missionaries, and leprosy. All the stories take place near the end of the 19 th and beginning of the 20 th centuries. The stories are entertaining, if not a bit predictable, for a short five minute read. My version also contained a short autobiography of Jack London.
Stephen
Aug 01, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
of course I am biased - but the stories about a people who hae been enveloped by American expansionism and the sufferings of the Hawaiian people from missionaries and leprosy are well told by Jack London - he is always my favorite author
Mike Corley
Nov 23, 2013 Mike Corley rated it liked it
A fun read about life in Hawaii.
Carla
A natural storyteller

Jack London Is one of those easy graceful writers who never bores, and he tackles sensitive racial and social themes effortlessly.
Christopher
London-tastic tales of a not-so paradise.
Mac Daly
Apr 15, 2016 Mac Daly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, hawaii
These short stories about the conflict between the native Hawaiians and the European settlers vividly capture the struggles of the early 20th century.
Jan
Jun 23, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Great on Prose. Great on historical background. Spotty on story.
Jan 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Abandoned this book. His style is too negative and depressing for me. I get engaged and then disappointed in the end. I like happy endings.
Kent
London is a good storyteller. Loved these six stories of a bygone Hawaii. The brokenness of our world pervades the stories so that these stories are told in a minor key.
Johanna DeBiase
Dec 02, 2013 Johanna DeBiase rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Kathy
May 31, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: hawaii
Hard not to love London's writing and his stories really capture old Hawaii. There is also a nice autobiographical sketch of his life at the end of the stories.
Crystal
May 10, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
James Michener must have read these stories, because a lot of the characters in "Hawaii" seem to be echoes of the characters introduced here. The stories are vivid and have a journalistic feel.
Nelson Minar
Mar 09, 2016 Nelson Minar rated it it was ok
Mixed bag. Too many stories about the leper colony. Not enough evocation of Hawai'i the place.
Linda Horn
Nov 08, 2012 Linda Horn rated it really liked it
This book was more gritty than expected, but very well done.

Withinbooks
Withinbooks rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
RUBEN OSCAR PEREZ
RUBEN OSCAR PEREZ rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
William Middleton
William Middleton rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Bob Hostetler
Bob Hostetler rated it really liked it
May 29, 2017
Judi Borne
Judi Borne rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Keith Sinusas
Keith Sinusas rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Richard Peterson
Richard Peterson rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it did not like it
May 30, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Six Tales of the Jazz Age (and Other Stories)
  • Six Months in the Sandwich Islands: Among Hawaii's Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes
  • When Knighthood Was in Flower
  • The Short Stories of Charles Dickens (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)
  • The Essential H.P. Lovecraft Collection
  • Time of the Dragons (Shike 1)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2014
  • Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen
  • Go Small or Go Home (Toronto Series #2)
  • Beasts of New York
  • Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy, #2)
  • Library of the World's Best Mystery and Detective Stories - French, Spanish, Italian, Latin Stories
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • Best Russian Short Stories
  • Deadly Engagement (Alec Halsey Mystery, #1)
  • Healthy South Indian Cooking
  • Green is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...